Understanding the Uniqueness of Retarded Time in Electromagnetism

• Thread starter arcTomato
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potentials
In summary: The retarded vector potential in electrodynamics is unique up to a gauge transformation. The retarded vector potential is in the Lorenz gauge, but even within the Lorenz gauge there's some restricted gauge freedom left.
arcTomato
Hello, PFI'm studying electromagnetism, delayed potentials, and I've been wondering about a few things.
My understanding of the delayed potential is that the information from a moving charged particle at a given time travels through space at the speed of light to reach the observation point, so what is actually observed is the potential that deviates from the true position of the charged particle.

My question is: Is it possible for information about a charged particle to be observed from more than one position at the same time? In other words, is the particle's location information indeterminate?Thank you, have a good day.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
arcTomato said:
My understanding of the delayed potential is that the information from a moving charged particle at a given time travels through space at the speed of light to reach the observation point, so what is actually observed is the potential that deviates from the true position of the charged particle.
If the charge moves at constant velocity, the Coulomb force points towards the current location. See my recent post:
A.T. said:
In this applet you can choose "linear" to show a charge at constant velocity. :

https://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/radiating-charge

The mechanism is roughly: The field lines emanating from the charge "inherit" its velocity. So if the charge maintains a constant velocity, they will remain straight and radial around the charge. If the charge velocity changes, the field lines just at the charge "inherit" the new velocity, but this disturbance in the pattern propagates at the finite speed c, resulting in "waves".

arcTomato said:
My question is: Is it possible for information about a charged particle to be observed from more than one position at the same time?
What do you mean by "observe from more than one position at the same time"? You can only have one direction for the Coulomb force at some point in space and time. But if the charge is accelerating, you might not be able to deduce it's position from that measurement.

Likes vanhees71, arcTomato and Motore
Thank you.
A.T. said:
What do you mean by "observe from more than one position at the same time"?
What I meant was a situation like where the information of a moving charged particle at time ##t_a## and the information at time ##t_b## is observed simultaneously at time ##t_c##.

What exactly are the circumstances, if such a situation could happen?

arcTomato said:
What I meant was a situation like where the information of a moving charged particle at time ##t_a## and the information at time ##t_b## is observed simultaneously at time ##t_c##.
How is the information observed exactly?

A.T. said:
How is the information observed exactly?

Such as for example potential. (That means information propagates at the speed of light.)

arcTomato said:
Such as for example potential.
How do you observe the potential exactly?

Likes arcTomato
A.T. said:
And how do you define 'simultaneously' for measurement at two different points?

Likes arcTomato
A.T. said:

Oh, I see. I really didn't think that much about it because this is just a thought experiment of mine. I'm sorry.But how we observe doesn't seem to be that important as far as my question is concerned, I think.

pbuk said:
And how do you define 'simultaneously' for measurement at two different points?

Let me clarify my question. (And thank you for answering my question.)

"The potential at time ##t_1## and the potential at ##t_2## are simultaneously observed when a moving charged particle is observed at a single point ##M##."

I don't expect to make observations at more than one point.
Is this situation possible?

arcTomato said:
Oh, I see. I really didn't think that much about it because this is just a thought experiment of mine. I'm sorry.But how we observe doesn't seem to be that important as far as my question is concerned, I think.
it might help you to answer your question, to think about how potentials are related to actual observations,

arcTomato said:
"The potential at time t1 and the potential at t2 are simultaneously observed when a moving charged particle is observed at a single point M."
I am not 100% sure that I am understanding your question. However, if I am understanding correctly then the answer is that the retarded time is unique, so the retarded potential is unique also.

Likes arcTomato
Dale said:
If I am understanding correctly then the answer is that the retarded time is unique, so the retarded potential is unique also.
Thank you. and sorry for my bad English.
Could you tell me more about it?

Does that mean that the retarded time is uniquely determined because it only depends on the distance between the observation point and the charged particles?

Dale said:
I am not 100% sure that I am understanding your question. However, if I am understanding correctly then the answer is that the retarded time is unique, so the retarded potential is unique also.
The retarded vector potential in electrodynamics is unique up to a gauge transformation. The retarded vector potential is in the Lorenz gauge, but even within the Lorenz gauge there's some restricted gauge freedom left.

What's, of course, unique is the electromagnetic field ##(\vec{E},\vec{B})## which for the usual physical situation, where you have some localized sources (charge-current distributions), is the retarded solution, which you get by the usual derivative of the vector potential, leading to what's known as Jefimenko equations.

Likes arcTomato
arcTomato said:
Thank you. and sorry for my bad English.
Could you tell me more about it?

Does that mean that the retarded time is uniquely determined because it only depends on the distance between the observation point and the charged particles?
You have to view the electromagnetic field as a functional of the charge-current distribution. It's easier to explain if you look at the solution for a point particle. There it's a functional of the particle's world line. This world line is time-like everywhere, and this implies that the retarded time is always uniquely determined for any spacetime point of the observer (the only other solution is the advanced time, which is ruled out by causality reasons).

Likes arcTomato

What are retarded potentials?

Retarded potentials are a concept in electromagnetism that describe the electromagnetic fields and potentials generated by a time-varying current or charge distribution. They take into account the finite speed of light and the time delay in the propagation of electromagnetic waves.

How are retarded potentials different from advanced potentials?

Retarded potentials and advanced potentials are two solutions to the wave equation in electromagnetism. Retarded potentials describe the fields and potentials at a given point in space and time due to a source at an earlier time, while advanced potentials describe the fields and potentials at a given point in space and time due to a source at a later time.

What is the significance of retarded potentials?

The concept of retarded potentials is significant because it allows us to accurately describe the electromagnetic fields and potentials in situations where the finite speed of light plays a role. This is especially important in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves and their interactions with matter.

How are retarded potentials used in practical applications?

Retarded potentials are used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the design of antennas, radar systems, and other electromagnetic devices. They are also used in the analysis and interpretation of experimental data in fields such as optics, electromagnetics, and astrophysics.

Are there any limitations to the use of retarded potentials?

While retarded potentials are a useful concept in describing electromagnetic phenomena, they have limitations in certain situations. For example, they may not accurately describe the behavior of electromagnetic waves in highly relativistic scenarios. Additionally, they do not take into account quantum effects, which are important at very small scales.