Unit conversion problem for the electron thermal conductivity

In summary: The thermal conductivity in my question is actually the one used when the temperature in the heat flux equation (Fourier's law) q=k\nabla T (q is local heat flux (W/m^{2} unit)) is actually in energy, k_{B}T(T is temperature in Kelvin at this moment.).
goodphy
Hello.

In CGS unit electron thermal conductivity for plasma is expressed as [itex]\frac{n_{e}T_{e}}{m_{e}\upsilon_{e}}\Gamma_{1}[/itex] [1] where [itex]\Gamma_{1}[/itex] is the dimensionless transport coefficient. [2]
You can also find similar expression in http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/plasma/lectures/node35.html

[itex]n_{e}[/itex]: electron number density in [itex]cm^{-3}[/itex].
[itex]T_{e}[/itex]: electron temperature in erg.
[itex]m_{e}[/itex]: electron mass in g (gram).
[itex]\upsilon_{e}[/itex]: electron-ion collision frequency.

Experimentally, SI unit is useful and I've tried to convert unit of the formula to Si unit of [itex]Wm^{-1}K^{-1}[/itex] but failed.

I directly replaced erg by [itex]gcm^{2}/s^{2}[/itex](= erg) and arranged dimensions in the formula. The results is [itex]cm^{-1}s^{-1}[/itex].

This appears far from what is supposed to be in SI unit.

Could you help me to figure out what I was wrong in conversion?

Thanks for reading this thread.

Reference
  • A. Esaulov, P. Sasorov, L. Soto, M. Zambra, and J. Sakai, "MHD simulation of a fast hollow cathode capillary discharge",
    Plasma Phys. Control. Fusion 43, 571 (2001).
  • E.M. Epperlein and M.G. Haines, "Plasma transport coefficients in a magnetic field by direct numerical solution of the Fokker-Pianck equation", Phys. Fluids 29, 1029 (1986).

Physics news on Phys.org
goodphy said:
Hello.

In CGS unit electron thermal conductivity for plasma is expressed as [itex]\frac{n_{e}T_{e}}{m_{e}\upsilon_{e}}\Gamma_{1}[/itex] [1] where [itex]\Gamma_{1}[/itex] is the dimensionless transport coefficient. [2]

I think that in SI it should be
[itex]\frac{n_{e} k_B^2 T_{e}}{m_{e}\upsilon_{e}}\Gamma_{1}[/itex]

Assuming that indeed gamma is dimensionless.

Likes 1 person
Thanks for replying my question.

I just wonder how you get this expression? Could you provide me the reference with which you come up with that?

And is there any way to directly convert CGS unit to SI unit in this case? I at least think that the expression of the physics must be useful nomatter what unit system is used..

The formula for thermal conductivity in a plasma is derived (in SI units) here:
http://www.pma.caltech.edu/Courses/ph136/yr2004/0419.1.K.pdf

See section 19.5.

Also see note 2, at the beginning, for how to convert from SI to gaussian units ... the opposite of your situation, but may be enlightening.

Likes 1 person
Oh, thanks everybody! I finally got the answer! I'm so happy!

The thermal conductivity in my question is actually the one used when the temperature in the heat flux equation (Fourier's law) [itex]q=k\nabla T[/itex] (q is local heat flux ([itex]W/m^{2}[/itex] unit)) is actually in energy, [itex]k_{B}T[/itex]([itex]T[/itex] is temperature in Kelvin at this moment.).

When the equation is with true temperature, not energy, the conductivity in the equation becomes [itex]k_{B}k[/itex].

Dimension check confirmed.

1. What is the unit of measurement for electron thermal conductivity?

The unit for electron thermal conductivity is typically expressed in Watts per meter-Kelvin (W/m·K).

2. How do you convert electron thermal conductivity from SI units to other units?

To convert electron thermal conductivity from SI units (W/m·K) to other units, you can use the following conversions:
- 1 W/m·K = 0.85984 cal/s·cm·K
- 1 W/m·K = 1.8 Btu/h·ft·°F
- 1 W/m·K = 1.163 Btu/s·ft·°F

3. Can electron thermal conductivity be converted to other types of thermal conductivity?

Yes, electron thermal conductivity can be converted to other types of thermal conductivity, such as lattice thermal conductivity and phonon thermal conductivity. However, the conversion factors may vary depending on the material and temperature.

4. How do you calculate electron thermal conductivity from experimental data?

To calculate electron thermal conductivity from experimental data, you can use the formula: k = L·T·/A·ΔT, where k is thermal conductivity, L is the length of the sample, T is the temperature, A is the cross-sectional area, and ΔT is the temperature difference between the two ends of the sample.

5. What are some common materials with high electron thermal conductivity?

Some common materials with high electron thermal conductivity include metals such as copper, aluminum, and silver, as well as semiconductors like silicon and germanium. Graphite and graphene also have high thermal conductivity due to their unique electronic structure.