Unit Vector Perp. to a: Solving Problem

In summary: You could think of it as the Pythagorean theorem: the length of the vector is the hypotenuse of a triangle with sides x and y, so the length must satisfy x² + y² = 1.
WeiLoong

Homework Statement

if a =3i-4j
find a unit vector perpendicular a

Homework Equations

Vector

The Attempt at a Solution

<a> = <3 , -4>
<n> = <x, y> : x² + y² = 1
<a>•<n> = 3x-4y = 0

y = (3/4)x
x² + (9/16)x² = 1
25x² = 16
x = -4/5, 4/5
y = -3/5, 3/5

There are two unit vectors normal to a which have opposite directions:
n =(4i + 3j)/5
and
n = -(4i+3j)/5
This is the answer that given by my textbook. Can somebody explain to me the 2nd step <n> = <x, y> : x² + y² = 1
I do not understand why it use x^2+y^2=1 as this is circle equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Its saying to define a vector n with components x,y such that x^2 + y^2 =1 in other words that n is a unit vector with components x and y.

Dotting it with the known vector gives you the other equation so that you now have two equations in x and y and thus can solve for x and y

WeiLoong said:

Homework Statement

if a =3i-4j
find a unit vector perpendicular a

Homework Equations

Vector

The Attempt at a Solution

<a> = <3 , -4>
<n> = <x, y> : x² + y² = 1
<a>•<n> = 3x-4y = 0

y = (3/4)x
x² + (9/16)x² = 1
25x² = 16
x = -4/5, 4/5
y = -3/5, 3/5

There are two unit vectors normal to a which have opposite directions:
n =(4i + 3j)/5
and
n = -(4i+3j)/5
This is the answer that given by my textbook. Can somebody explain to me the 2nd step <n> = <x, y> : x² + y² = 1
I do not understand why it use x^2+y^2=1 as this is circle equation.
Yes, it is a circle centered at the origin with radius 1. So any unit vector with "tail" at the origin has its "tip" on that circle. Any unit vector <x, y> satisfies x² + y² = 1.

1. What is a unit vector perpendicular to a given vector?

A unit vector perpendicular to a given vector is a vector that is perpendicular to the given vector and has a magnitude of 1. It is often used in mathematics and physics to simplify calculations and represent a specific direction in space.

2. How do you find a unit vector perpendicular to a given vector?

To find a unit vector perpendicular to a given vector, you can use the cross product or dot product method. The cross product method involves finding the vector that is perpendicular to both the given vector and the unit vector (which has a magnitude of 1). The dot product method involves finding the vector that is perpendicular to both the given vector and a vector that is parallel to the unit vector. Both methods will result in a unit vector perpendicular to the given vector.

3. Why is a unit vector perpendicular to a given vector important?

A unit vector perpendicular to a given vector is important because it helps simplify calculations and represents a specific direction in space. It is often used in physics and engineering to describe the orientation of objects, such as forces and velocities.

4. Can a unit vector perpendicular to a given vector be negative?

No, a unit vector perpendicular to a given vector cannot be negative. The magnitude of a unit vector is always 1, and the direction is always perpendicular to the given vector. Therefore, it is not possible for a unit vector to have a negative direction.

5. How is a unit vector perpendicular to a given vector used in real-life applications?

A unit vector perpendicular to a given vector is used in various real-life applications, such as computer graphics, robotics, and navigation systems. It is also used in physics and engineering to represent the direction of forces and motion in three-dimensional space. In addition, it is used in mathematics to simplify calculations involving vectors.