Unknown (to me) formula of Entropy

In summary, the homework statement asks for the change in entropy due to mixing of gases at constant temperature. The equation for the entropy change is given, but it is a complicated one involving partial derivatives.
mooncrater

Homework Statement

The question is says:
Two vessels divided by a partition contain 1 mol of N2 and 2 mol of O2 gas. If the partition is removed and gases ate mixed isothermally, then find the change in entropy due to mixing assuming initial and final pressure are same .

Homework Equations

ΔS=qrev/T [the one I know]
ΔSsys=-RΣniln xi
Where ni = number of moles of gas.
xi= mole fraction of gas.[ the foreigner equation]

The Attempt at a Solution

As written here in the relevant equations part, the second equation is the one which is new to me. I don't know how it works, what it does and from where it came from. It looks like boltzmann's entropy formula but I don't think that both of them are same. The question can be easily solved by this equation, but this equation is the one creating problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is R?

Also, this at least looks related to the formula for change in entropy of an ideal gas.

That is, taking the entropy of each which I believe, in general, is ##S= Nk[\log(Ω)]## where Ω is multiplicity. So taking the difference of two entropies gives you a ration of multiplicities inside the log. I don't know what formulas you have for multiplicity, but it seems like this may be where your equation comes from. Though, someone else can likely explain it better, or correct me.

Likes mooncrater
R is the universal gas constant.
What is N here?

mooncrater said:
R is the universal gas constant.
What is N here?
Number of atoms.

Smith and van Ness, Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics, page 300:

A ideal gas is a model gas comprised of imaginary molecules of zero volume that do not interact. Each chemical species in an ideal gas mixture therefore has its own private properties, uninfluenced by the presence of other species. This is the basis of Gibb's theorem:

A total thermodynamic property (U, H, S, A, G) of an ideal gas mixture is the sum of the total properties of the individual species, each evaluated at the mixture temperature but at is own partial pressure.

Chet

Likes mooncrater
ΔSsys=-RΣniln xi
xi= mole fraction of gas.

What would be the proof for this?
Is it a complicated one involving partial derivatives?

Raghav Gupta said:
ΔSsys=-RΣniln xi
xi= mole fraction of gas.

What would be the proof for this?
Is it a complicated one involving partial derivatives?
No. From the information I gave in my previous post, you should be able to derive the equation for the entropy change for mixing ideal gases, going from the pure components at pressure P to the mixture at the same pressure P.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
A total thermodynamic property (U, H, S, A, G) of an ideal gas mixture is the sum of the total properties of the individual species, each evaluated at the mixture temperature but at is own partial pressure.

Chet
So S = V + P + T ?
ΔS= ΔV + ΔP + ΔT ?

Raghav Gupta said:
So S = V + P + T ?
ΔS= ΔV + ΔP + ΔT ?
Do you know how to determine the change in entropy of a pure species ideal gas if its pressure changes at constant temperature?

No,
Actually entropy is to me degree of randomness and also have formula,
ΔS = Δq/T

Raghav Gupta said:
No,
Actually entropy is to me degree of randomness and also have formula,
ΔS = Δq/T
OK. Before you can do the derivation of the ideal gas entropy of mixing, you need to develop some background understanding of entropy. Did I send you my write up on the first and second laws of thermo?

Chet

No, you till now have not send it. Why that question?
I think you may be thinking that we had a discussion in some other thread about it?
Or are you asking can I send you the write - up?

Raghav Gupta said:
No, you till now have not send it. Why that question?
I think you may be thinking that we had a discussion in some other thread about it?
Or are you asking can I send you the write - up?
No. I'll send you a link to it. It is for students who are struggling with some of the concepts because the concepts are presented so poorly in textbooks.

Last edited:
Likes Raghav Gupta
Likes mooncrater

What is entropy and why is it important?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is an important concept in thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, as it helps us understand the behavior of physical systems and predict their changes over time.

How is entropy related to energy?

Entropy and energy are closely related, as entropy is a measure of the energy that is unavailable for useful work in a system. As the disorder or randomness in a system increases, so does its entropy, and as a result, less energy is available for useful work.

What is the formula for calculating entropy?

The formula for entropy depends on the system and the type of entropy being calculated. For example, the formula for thermodynamic entropy is S = kB ln W, where kB is the Boltzmann constant and W is the number of microstates or possible arrangements of particles in the system. However, there are different formulas for calculating entropy in different contexts, such as information theory or statistical mechanics.

How does entropy relate to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that the disorder or randomness in a system will tend to increase, and the energy available for useful work will decrease. Entropy is a fundamental concept in understanding and explaining the second law of thermodynamics.

Can entropy be reversed or decreased?

While it is possible to decrease the entropy of a system locally, such as in living organisms, the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time according to the second law of thermodynamics. This is because any decrease in entropy in one part of the system will result in an increase in entropy elsewhere, leading to an overall increase in entropy.