The Mystery of 99% Reflecting Mirrors: A Physics Perspective

• Thread starter naes213
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mirror
In summary, my professor today told us that if there is a 99% reflecting mirror, then if a beam of light shines on the mirror 99% of the light is reflected and 1% is transmitted. He then said that if a second 99% reflecting mirror is placed behind the original mirror, 100% of the light is transmitted. This sounds impossible to me. The first mirror still reflects 99% of the light incident on it regardless of the presence or absence of the second mirror. My only guess is that the 1% transmitted through the first mirror reflects back and forth between the mirrors and then 1% of that is reflected, giving the apparent result that light "appears" when a second mirror is placed behind the first. If this is not
naes213
My professor today told us to think about the following situation:
If there is a 99% reflecting mirror, then if a beam of light shines on the mirror 99% of the light is reflected and 1% is transmitted. Now he says that if a second 99% reflecting mirror is placed behind the original mirror, 100% of the light is transmitted. This sounds impossible to me. The first mirror still reflects 99% of the light incident on it regardless of the presence or absence of the second mirror. My only guess is that the 1% transmitted through the first mirror reflects back and forth between the mirrors and then 1% of that is reflected, giving the apparent result that light "appears" when a second mirror is placed behind the first. If this is not the case then wouldn't conservation of energy be violated by the "appearance" of light? Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
You have this system in the rear view mirror of your car.
If you flick the switch down (dipped mode) then you only have the reflection from the front of the glass (eg 6-8%) when you flick the switch back to the normal position it places a 'real' eg 90% mirror behind the glass to give you a better reflection.

In practice the 1% wasted light in your mirror is probably absorbed rather than transmitted.

Last edited:
This can be 'sorta' true in some conditions. For a reflecting surface the photon field penetrates some distance through the surface. In fact the field decays exponentially, so there is always some small amplitude at any given distance.

Take the example of a beam internal to a block of glass, reflecting off the glass-air interface at some angle so that we get total internal reflection. Bringing another piece of glass within a few wavelenths of the reflecting surface of the first block will allow some of the penetrating field to intercept the second block.

Bring the second block within a quater wavelength and the most of the light will pass through. This is called tunneling in quantum mechanics.

Bring two perfectly flat surfaces together and there is no interface left so you get the full 100%, but then you really don't have two mirrors anymore. Which is why I said 'sorta' true.

Hmmm... ok so i guess the situation can't be stated as simply as my professor would like us to think. Phrak, your description of the two pieces of glass brings to mind a discussion of evanescent waves (with the same professor). So then its not really 100% (the sort of true part) because the evanescent wave decays exponentially the further you get from the boundary of the first mirror or first piece of glass?

naes213 said:
Hmmm... ok so i guess the situation can't be stated as simply as my professor would like us to think. Phrak, your description of the two pieces of glass brings to mind a discussion of evanescent waves (with the same professor). So then its not really 100% (the sort of true part) because the evanescent wave decays exponentially the further you get from the boundary of the first mirror or first piece of glass?

The transmission amplitude approches 100% as the gap approches zero distance. Zero distance means, ideally, that you have one piece of glass, not two pieces with two 'mirrors'.

Ok, thanks for the replies.

Related to The Mystery of 99% Reflecting Mirrors: A Physics Perspective

What is a 99% Reflecting Mirror?

A 99% reflecting mirror is a type of mirror that is designed to reflect 99% of the light that hits its surface. This high level of reflectivity is achieved through the use of specialized coatings on the mirror's surface.

How is a 99% Reflecting Mirror different from a regular mirror?

A regular mirror, also known as a "silvered" mirror, typically reflects about 90% of the light that hits its surface. A 99% reflecting mirror, on the other hand, reflects 99% of the light, making it much more efficient and effective for various scientific and industrial applications.

What are some common uses for a 99% Reflecting Mirror?

99% Reflecting Mirrors are commonly used in scientific experiments and research, as well as in industrial settings such as lasers and optical systems. They are also used in telescopes and other astronomical instruments, where high reflectivity is crucial for obtaining clear and accurate images.

How is the reflectivity of a 99% Reflecting Mirror measured?

The reflectivity of a 99% Reflecting Mirror is typically measured using a spectrophotometer, which measures the amount of light reflected from the mirror's surface at different wavelengths. The reflectivity is then calculated by comparing the amount of light reflected to the amount of light that hits the surface.

Are there any limitations to the use of a 99% Reflecting Mirror?

While 99% Reflecting Mirrors are highly efficient and effective, they do have some limitations. They are sensitive to environmental factors such as humidity and temperature, which can affect their performance. They also have a limited wavelength range in which they can reflect light, so they may not be suitable for all applications.