Unsteady vorticity transport equation: codes available?

In summary, the speaker is looking to replicate results from an old code for testing purposes. They only have plots from the old code and need data. The old code solves a 2D unsteady vorticity transport equation with a constant kinematic viscosity term. They are interested in tank-like geometries with inlets and pipe-like outlets. They are open to using any method, but prefer a Matlab script with plotting capabilities. They have not been able to find any online codes or applets that fit their needs. Another person suggests using OpenFOAM, but the speaker is not familiar with it and asks why they should use vorticity transport instead of NS.
bumblebee77
I would like to reproduce results from a much older code to test a new one. I only have the old code's results in the form of plots, not data, but I need data. The older code solves the unsteady vorticity transport equation in 2D with a constant kinematic viscosity term. I'm interested in 2-D tank-like geometries with inlets and pipe-like outlets. The original code uses a finite element method, but I'm not picky.

It would be great not to have to write code to do this. The problem seems straightforward enough that I expected to find codes/applets online, but so far I don't see anything. A Matlab script with plotting capabilities would be great, but I'll try anything. Could anyone help?

Have you tried OpenFOAM? Also, why vorticity transport and not NS?

Thanks. I want to reproduce calculations from an old report to test some new calculations. As far as I know, OpenFOAM doesn't have this approach.

1. What is the unsteady vorticity transport equation?

The unsteady vorticity transport equation is a mathematical model used to describe the evolution of vorticity, which is a measure of the local rotation of a fluid. It takes into account the effects of advection, diffusion, and external forces on the vorticity field.

2. Why is the unsteady vorticity transport equation important?

The unsteady vorticity transport equation is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of vortices in fluid flows. This is useful in many practical applications, such as understanding weather patterns, aerodynamics, and ocean currents.

3. Are there any codes available for solving the unsteady vorticity transport equation?

Yes, there are many codes available for solving the unsteady vorticity transport equation. These codes use numerical methods to solve the equation and can provide valuable insights into the behavior of vortices in different flow scenarios.

4. What are the limitations of using codes to solve the unsteady vorticity transport equation?

One limitation of using codes to solve the unsteady vorticity transport equation is that they may not accurately capture all the physical phenomena present in a real-world flow. Additionally, the accuracy of the results depends on the quality of the input data and the chosen numerical methods.

5. How can the unsteady vorticity transport equation be applied in real-world situations?

The unsteady vorticity transport equation can be applied in many real-world situations, such as predicting weather patterns, designing efficient aircraft wings, and understanding the behavior of ocean currents. It can also be used to optimize various flow systems and improve their performance.