Unsure of my future in physics

In summary: If it is a problem getting a job in the field after completing a PHD...In summary, the author is a first year physics student at Ohio State University and is enjoying the course work. However, he is beginning to worry about his future as a physicist and wonders if it is worth sacrificing a large portion of his life to be happy. He suggests taking some courses outside of his declared major to gain a larger perspective and increasing his skills in case he decides he is unhappy in the field.
Biscuit
Before you read this I must make a request that you read the whole thing if you start because my thoughts may be disorganized or there may be at least one part you find you could respond to. thank you!

I'm not too sure if this is the right place to post, but I'm proceeding regardless. I love physics. Almost all of it is very fascinating and at the least thought provoking. I am a first year physics student at Ohio State University and am loving it. I had some bumps adapting to the challenging course work (as opposed to what I had to do in high school), but for the most part am very happy up here on campus. It's extremely exciting learning about new topics especially knowing it gets harder and more complex! But as of recently, not fueled by any specific event or depression, I have begun to worry about my future as a physicist. I know to do the work I want to do most get a PHD which can take up to 9 years. This knowledge makes me unsure about so many things. On one hand it sounds really exciting to pursue the dream of becoming a physicist, but I also keep reading a lot of people reporting that they end up being unhappy. Even after the schooling I've read that a lot of people end up doing mindless computer work for a good amount of time as well (eventually end up doing what they wanted). I have the fear that at some point I will become unhappy or discouraged with my choice in the field, but it will be too late to do anything else.

I often come to answer my own questions when I actually type them out like this, and I can already see the answer of "this isn't an issue of physics, but an issue of life, everything is like this in some form or another", I only find this to be partially true. There are a multitude of jobs that do not require the PHD or the years of actually being in the line of work to do what you love. Engineers for example can start doing what they plan to do for the next 20 years right after a 4 year degree, as opposed to physics its a 10 year degree then the potential of being a computer slave for an additional couple years. Even in the event that I do end up being happy and finally doing what I love, I could end up being 37 years old (19 now). Is it worth sacrificing such a portion of my life to be happy? I keep coming to the answer no, but I see people on the same exact path as me. Is there something that they know or have planned that I don't? Have they just not read all of the unhappy people in the field of physics? I get the "pursuit of knowledge" and the "advancing humanity forward" drive, but what about themselves. The times are changing and it seems a lot of current PHD's or people going for a PHD just don't recommend it.

I enjoy farming and playing the violin, I could see myself being just as happy owning a green house one day or being an orchestra player. I know something like farming may be more mundane, but at least if I wanted to change my mind I could. If I am 7 years into physics and decide I am unhappy I won't have other options (7 years is just too much to waste) . And note that I really enjoy physics, I would prefer to do what I love in physics as opposed to farming or playing the violin, but what are the odds of me actually getting to the point, and being happy all the way up to that point. I don't want to be sad for 5 years just to be happy the rest when I could continue being happy now.

I apologize for any fallacy in my logic or tangents that seemed pointless, I am rather scatter-brained at the moment due to all of this. I'm not expecting a direct answer or solution, just any input to the situation is appreciated (or direct solutions of you have any of those lying around).

Thank you for your time,
Biscuit

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a problem with young students myself included, we try to map out our lives without knowing what we want from it but knowing what we like now and trying to decide how much time we should invest. In circumstances like this its best to gain skills much as you would in a computer game, the more skills the better your survival rate.

I would consider taking some courses outside of my declared major to gain a larger perspective of the possibilities that can be. I would be driven by my interests and explore what I could explore. You've got four years to plan what you want to do with your life. Talk with others, enjoy your time in college and learn new things.

Right now decide on a major and a minor, in my case its was Physics and Computer Science. Physics was for my curiosity and Computer Science was for job practicality. I figured I could do computational physics whatever that meant (it was far too new at the time circa 1970's). So I focused on Physics, Math and some Computer Science as well as a language (I chose Chinese it was available and it wasn't what physicists studied) and away I went.

I graduated with a BS in Physics and promptly went into programming as I knew Physics jobs for undergrads were non- existent. Bottom-line is Computer Science or some Business courses would be good as a minor and as a backup plan.

For grad school, many things will change in the next four years in ways you can't imagine now and so you must go with the flow and make plans as you can. Some of these things are getting into a serious relationship, or someone in your family gets sick, or finances become an issue, or courses become incredibly difficult ie you're missing some preqeqs you didn't know you needed.

If you choose to delay grad school, then consider that you have 5 years or so before your academic skill degrade completely. This varies from person to person and depends a lot on what you're doing and where you work. Its a good thing to keep in mind as a longer term goal for going back. Why 5 years, primarily you'd take the GRE a year or so before graduating and the GRE score has a half-life of 5 years ie you have to take it again if its older and with your skills degraded it will be a struggle but doable (you'd have to review what you learned anyway).

Zapperz has a great discussion on PF about the things you need to do and can expect studying physics from High school to Phd and beyond.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/so-you-want-to-be-a-physicist-22-part-guide.240792/

and Nobel Laureate Prof Gerard T'Hooft has a similar guide:

http://www.goodtheorist.science/

Likes berkeman
I took physics course work because they simply made sense to me when other topics did not. I stopped at my BSc in Physics. I was offered the opportunity to get my PhD, for free, but I turned it down. I was ready to earn money instead of grades.

Occasionally I regret that decision, but only occasionally.

When I left University I went to work in a NASA Lab with a team of PhDs doing LIDAR work. I had my own project, my own LASER, my own designs, even my own machinist. I learned RDT&E for some amazing PhDs (Physics, EE, ME, Math, etc.), but I didn't stay there long.
I've been in many fields in the last 20 years including free space optics & LIDAR, High Power fiber optics, instrumentation, avionics, manned space flight, RF, EW, and RADAR, and these jobs have taken me all over the world (probably because I was considered a Field Engineer or Commissioning Engineer and not a Physicist). Every job had its roots in physics, and these days I've mostly settled into RF work, but due to my Physics education I feel as though I can be successful at any technical field.

I'm not sure what a life with a PhD would have provided, but I was arrogant enough with a Physics BSc and a NASA badge at age 23; a Physics PhD would have only exacerbated the condition.

No one says you have to go Kindergarten to PhD in one shot. Don't burn out. Once you obtain your BSc you can work until you feel the need to pursue your masters or PhD, or not.

Likes Hypercube and nsaspook

1. What are some career options for someone with a degree in physics?

There are many career paths available for those with a degree in physics. Some common options include working as a research scientist in academia or industry, teaching at the high school or college level, or pursuing a career in engineering, finance, or data science.

2. How can I determine if a career in physics is right for me?

One way to find out if a career in physics is a good fit for you is to gain hands-on experience through internships, research opportunities, or job shadowing. You can also talk to professionals in the field, attend career fairs, and explore different subfields of physics to see what interests you the most.

3. Will I need to continue my education after obtaining a degree in physics?

Many careers in physics do require further education beyond a bachelor's degree, such as a master's or Ph.D. However, there are also job opportunities available for those with a bachelor's degree, and some employers may even offer financial assistance for employees to pursue advanced degrees.

4. Is it possible to have a successful career in physics without a strong math background?

While a strong understanding of math is essential for studying physics, it is possible to have a successful career in the field without being a math prodigy. Many physics programs offer support and resources for students who may struggle with math, and there are also many different branches of physics that may rely more or less on mathematical concepts.

5. What can I do if I am feeling uncertain about my future in physics?

If you are unsure about your future in physics, it is important to explore your interests and options. Consider talking to a career counselor, networking with professionals in the field, and researching different job opportunities. You can also seek guidance from professors or mentors who can offer advice and support. Remember, it is okay to change career paths or pursue a different field if physics is not the right fit for you.