Upwards movement -- Lifting weights while standing on a scale

In summary: If I move a weight upwards, will the force exerted on my feet change?If upward acceleration of the weight (of mass ##m##) is ##a## then additional reading on scales, compared to no weight present at all, is ##m(g+ a)##.
Eric Mackintosh
if I move a weight upwards, will the force exerted on my feet change? I tried standing on scales and lifting a weight but nothing changed as the force seemed to be all in my arm muscles and no change in the weight on the scales...

Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
If upward acceleration of the weight (of mass ##m##) is ##a## then additional reading on scales, compared to no weight present at all, is ##m(g+ a)##.

Likes vanhees71
Eric Mackintosh said:
if I move a weight upwards, will the force exerted on my feet change? I tried standing on scales and lifting a weight but nothing changed as the force seemed to be all in my arm muscles and no change in the weight on the scales...
You've induced me to indulge in a spot of experimental physics.

I stood on my scales with an extra ##20 \ kg## weight and the reading jumped up and down from about ##112 \ kg## to ##118 \ kg## as I raised the weights. Once I stood still, however, the scales settled on ##112 \ kg## and didn't change subsequently even when I raised the weights.

You need to make sure that your scales do not function the way mine do.

Ok, I was assuming that since force =ma that the weight should go up while the weight is in motion upwards?

Eric Mackintosh said:
Ok, I was assuming that since force =ma that the weight should go up while the weight is in motion upwards?
The normal force between your feet and the scales must increase while the weights are accelerating upwards.

But not if the motion is constant velocity.

Likes vanhees71 and Eric Mackintosh
Eric Mackintosh said:
Is it an analog or digital scale? If it is a digital scale, it is likely using digital filtering to filter out movement artifacts...

Likes vanhees71, russ_watters and phinds
PeroK said:
The normal force between your feet and the scales must increase while the weights are accelerating upwards.

But not if the motion is constant velocity.
It must accelerate to begin with?

berkeman said:
Is it an analog or digital scale? If it is a digital scale, it is likely using digital filtering to filter out movement artifacts...
My scales were a simple mechanical set

Eric Mackintosh said:
It must accelerate to begin with?
Yes, but the acceleration phase may be over quite quickly. So, the increase in force may only last a short time. I can see the digital display change only fleetingly on my scales.

Likes Eric Mackintosh
PeroK said:
Yes, but the acceleration phase may be over quite quickly. So, the increase in force may only last a short time. I can see the digital display change only fleetingly on my scales.
Ok thank you ,:) tell me this got me thinking... Imagine I have a heavy weight balanced on my head and I want to lift it so I push it up... But it is too heavy to lift... Will the force I am pushing it upwards be felt as increased weight on the scales. Even though it doesn',,t move? Note here I am pushing up as hard as I can but I am not strong enough to move it. I can't work out the physics here.

Eric Mackintosh said:
Ok thank you ,:) tell me this got me thinking... Imagine I have a heavy weight balanced on my head and I want to lift it so I push it up... But it is too heavy to lift... Will the force I am pushing it upwards be felt as increased weight on the scales. Even though it doesn',,t move? Note here I am pushing up as hard as I can but I am not strong enough to move it. I can't work out the physics here.
What do you think? What do Newton's laws tell you?

Likes vanhees71
PeroK said:
What do you think? What do Newton's laws tell you?
To every force there is an equal and opposite reaction?

Likes vanhees71
Eric Mackintosh said:
To every force there is an equal and opposite reaction?
I am not fully sure that this applies when physiology is involved, I think the force may somehow be absorbed into the lifting muscles.

Eric Mackintosh said:
I am not fully sure that this applies when physiology is involved, I think the force may somehow be absorbed into the lifting muscles.
Newton's laws apply even to the human body. If there is an upward force from the ground greater than the combined downward gravitational force of you and everything you are holding (the "system"), then the centre of mass of the system must be accelerating upwards. That's Newton's second law. You can't avoid it.

PeroK said:
Newton's laws apply even to the human body. If there is an upward force from the ground greater than the combined downward gravitational force of you and everything you are holding (the "system"), then the centre of mass of the system must be accelerating upwards. That's Newton's second law. You can't avoid it.
Yes but what weight does the object need to be to observe that as you push upwards against it, the force goes through your feet and the scales register an increase?

Eric Mackintosh said:
Yes but what weight does the object need to be to observe that as you push upwards against it, the force goes through your feet and the scales register an increase?
That's not the way forces work. There are internal tensions in your body all the time. You ankle bone is holding your leg bone up and your leg bone is holding your hip bone up ...

Holding a mass above your head is no different. It's just an extra part of your body as far as the scales are concerned.

Unless your centre of mass accelerates external forces on you must be balanced.

Last edited:
Ok so if we now consider a forklift truck with a load on its front, if the load is lifted at constant velocity, no added load on the tyres but if the load was accelerated then the tyres would be compressed as long as the acceleration was happening?

Likes jbriggs444
Eric Mackintosh said:
Ok so if we now consider a forklift truck with a load on its front, if the load is lifted at constant velocity, no added load on the tyres but if the load was accelerated then the tyres would be compressed as long as the acceleration was happening?
When the load starts moving upwards, its velocity changes from zero to some constant value. Therefore there is upwards acceleration of the load – though only during a short time-interval.

During this short time-interval, the pressure in the tyres will increase above the rest-pressure. Then during the constant velocity motion, the pressure will be the same as the rest-pressure.

(If the truck is on sufficiently responsive weighing scales, there will be a brief increase in the reading. Then during the constant velocity motion, the reading will return to its rest-value.)

At the end of the upwards motion there will be deceleration - a downwards acceleration - so the load’s velocity reduces to zero. You can work out what the pressure does (and what would happen to the reading on weighing scales) during and after this deceleration..

1. How does lifting weights while standing on a scale affect my weight?

When you lift weights while standing on a scale, your weight will increase due to the additional force of the weights. This is because the scale measures the force exerted on it, and lifting weights adds to that force.

2. Will lifting weights while standing on a scale give me an accurate measurement of my weight?

No, lifting weights while standing on a scale will not give you an accurate measurement of your weight. The scale will measure the total force exerted on it, which includes the weight of your body and the weights you are lifting. It will not differentiate between the two.

3. Can I use lifting weights on a scale as a way to track my progress in weightlifting?

No, using a scale to track your progress in weightlifting is not recommended. Scales are designed to measure overall weight, not muscle mass or strength. It is better to track your progress through other methods, such as measuring body fat percentage or tracking your lifting progress with a workout journal.

4. Will lifting weights while standing on a scale help me lose weight?

No, lifting weights while standing on a scale will not directly help you lose weight. While weightlifting can contribute to weight loss by building muscle and increasing metabolism, the scale will not accurately reflect this change in your body composition.

5. Is it safe to lift weights while standing on a scale?

It is generally safe to lift weights while standing on a scale, as long as you are using proper form and not overloading yourself with too much weight. However, it is not recommended as a method for tracking progress or determining accurate weight measurements.