US military career change to engineering and need advice

In summary: Overall, this sounds like a very well thought out plan and I am sure you will be successful in what you pursue. Age is not really a factor, as long as you are dedicated and have the skills to back it up. Good luck in your journey!In summary, the military veteran plans to pursue a degree in electrical engineering online from Arizona State University while concurrently attending a local engineering technology program. The veteran plans to target a management role and is committed to four more years of service.
J15439
I am interested in pursuing a career change to electrical engineering with the specific goal of working in the space industry. I have served 18 years in the US Army in a field that has nothing to do with engineering or any other technically oriented field. I am committed to four more years of service before I can walk away. I am currently finishing a degree in management (good to have, cost me nothing). Any further undergraduate level education will cost me nothing due to accrued benefits, however I don’t have a lot of relevant programs available to me.

There is an online BS in electrical engineering from Arizona State University that is ABET accredited and appears to be well built. There is a local Engineering Technology program physically located near me that has night classes. There is a local Physics program with daytime classes, but I cannot attend due to work requirements.

I am considering the online course from ASU while concurrently going through the Eng Tech program for more practical skill acquisition. Does anyone see any downsides to this (cost is covered, my free time is irrelevant)? I have no idea if this is actually helpful, or if it will be viewed in a negative light by future employers.

I want to finish (or nearly finish) my education before leaving the Army as I will be 43 years old. I don’t feel age is a factor for me personally, but this doesn’t always seem to be the case in the civilian world and I don’t want to greatly delay jump starting my second career. I will have some level of veteran’s preference due to accumulated bumps and bruises, so that may be helpful for GS/government work.

I literally don’t know what I don’t know at this point, and any advice or insight would be helpful. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, and many thanks for your service!

The path to electrical engineering is pretty straightforward. ASU should be fine, but is there any specific reason to limit your options to the space industry? You will find placement easier if you don't limit your options unnecessarily.

You will probably want to target a management role as early as possible.

I think it is an excellent, well thought-out, mature plan.
The EE curriculum is quite theoretical. If I, as a hiring manager, was told by you that you actually had a "plan" to gain some practical skills and then chase the theoretical, I would think very highly of you.
Age is of no consequence. With a military background (and presumably a level of maturity and ingrained discipline), I think many places would jump at the chance to hire you. When you get to that point, be sure to market yourself as such. Some of my most-admired classmates were ex-military starting a second career. Carry on, Soldier.

Hi J,

Fellow veteran here ( Navy, 4 years. ). I also plan on doing the EE online program through ASU in the fall of 2017. Currently taking classes at the local CC.

My only nugget of advice I could give is to try and take as many of your STEM classes at a brick and mortar school before transferring, particularly your upper level Math and Physics classes. Online distance works, but IMHO some of those classes are just better taught when youre in a building with a teacher and classmates to bounce problems off of. ASU is $633.00/credit hour, with about 6-7 credits taken per semester. It would absolutely suck to have to burn through your G.I. Bill from retaking classes, and have to pay out of pocket tuition.

Likes CalcNerd
tensor0910 said:
My only nugget of advice I could give is to try and take as many of your STEM classes at a brick and mortar school before transferring, particularly your upper level Math and Physics classes. Online distance works, but IMHO some of those classes are just better taught when youre in a building with a teacher and classmates to bounce problems off of.
The above is excellent advice from tensor0910. I would also suggest you look over any online program carefully and determine what their maximum amount of transfer credits are. Most semester based schools only accept a maximum of half of their course work for graduation. ie 128 semester BS degree would only let you transfer 64 semester credits into their program, NO MATTER how many you have earned from another accredited school. But you should try to maximize this loophole by taking as many local courses as is practical from a reputable local college or university. And once you are in a program like ASU, you might also convince them to accept CLEP for some of their electives ie English, Literature or some other elective requirement that may be available via CLEP or departmental exams.

I used to be much more skeptical of distance learning coursework than I am now. I now have as much confidence in distance learning courses from an ABET accredited program than I have in credit earned in a brick and mortar school. Depending on a student's learning style, attending a brick and mortar school may be easier from a learning viewpoint, but if your learning style works with distance learning courses, you can do fine.

As mentioned above, do pay careful attention to the transferability issues.

Likes olivermsun

1. What skills from a US military career would be applicable to engineering?

Many skills learned in the military, such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and attention to detail, are highly transferable to engineering. Additionally, military personnel often have experience with technical equipment and systems, as well as a strong work ethic and ability to work in a team.

2. What steps should I take to transition from a US military career to engineering?

The first step would be to research and identify the specific field of engineering that interests you. From there, you can look into educational requirements and programs that can help you gain the necessary skills and qualifications. Networking with other engineers and professionals in the field can also provide valuable insights and advice.

3. Will I need to obtain a degree in engineering to make this career change?

It depends on the specific field of engineering you are interested in and your current qualifications. Some roles may require a degree, while others may value experience and technical skills more heavily. You may also consider pursuing certifications or completing specialized training programs to supplement your military experience.

4. What are some common challenges I may face when transitioning to an engineering career?

One of the main challenges may be getting used to a different work culture and environment. The military and engineering industries have different structures and expectations. Additionally, you may need to brush up on technical skills and knowledge, and adapt to new technology and tools.

5. Are there any resources available to assist with transitioning from a US military career to engineering?

Yes, there are many resources available for veterans and military personnel looking to transition to engineering. Some examples include the US Department of Veterans Affairs, which offers education and training benefits, and organizations like Hiring Our Heroes and Veterans in Engineering, which provide networking and career support for veterans in the engineering field.