In summary, a gyroscope is commonly used on ships to determine the rolling and pitching motion. A 3-axis gyroscope is recommended for measuring all movements. A strap-down gyro or MEMS gyroscope can also be used for this purpose. A digital output option is available through devices such as the Analog Devices ADXRS652.
TBan
Hello,

I'm looking to try to use a gyroscope to determine the rocking motion (just side to side - not back and forth) of a boat while it is traveling forward or sitting still in the water. Specifically, I'm looking for the boat's angle from vertical and this angle's velocity. Can I do this with just a (2-axis, 3 axis?) gyroscope? Or would I need a gyroscope as well as an accelerometer? Any experience with mounting gyro devices?

Thanks for your help :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
The side to side movement is called rolling and the forward-aft is called pitching. Ships have been using gyros for this for a long long time.
Every ship has it. Just buy it.

Thanks for the reply. I do know that most ships have this, I wanted to know if just a 3-axis gyroscope will do it, or should I get something that also has accelerometers?

Gyroscopes should give you the change of angle and acc.meters rate of change I think. If you are making one make it for all movement. Use a 3axis one. I'm sorry but I don't know much else about it.
Level sensor apps on a smartphone can be reprogrammed to output on a scale. Though accuracy would be a concern

Last edited:
TBan said:
Hello,

I'm looking to try to use a gyroscope to determine the rocking motion (just side to side - not back and forth) of a boat while it is traveling forward or sitting still in the water. Specifically, I'm looking for the boat's angle from vertical and this angle's velocity. Can I do this with just a (2-axis, 3 axis?) gyroscope? Or would I need a gyroscope as well as an accelerometer? Any experience with mounting gyro devices?

Thanks for your help :)

You would probably opt for a so-called strap-down gyro (it's not really a gyroscope). Consumer grade are usually memes. They're far cheaper. Everybody calls them gyroscopes, but they deliver different spatial information. A single strap-down will tell you how much the boat has rotated about a given axis. For pitch and roll, you'll need a minimum of two single axis memes or a dual axis meme unit.

Thanks for the replies! I would prefer if the sensor could work as J1939 CAN interface. Do you know of any devices like this?

1. How do gyroscopes and accelerometers work in boat tilt applications?

Gyroscopes and accelerometers are sensors that measure angular velocity and linear acceleration, respectively. In a boat tilt application, the gyroscope measures the rotational movement of the boat while the accelerometer measures the acceleration of the boat in a specific direction. By combining these two measurements, the tilt angle of the boat can be determined.

2. What is the accuracy of using gyroscopes and accelerometers for boat tilt applications?

The accuracy of using gyroscopes and accelerometers for boat tilt applications depends on the quality of the sensors and the calibration process. Generally, a well-calibrated system can achieve an accuracy of 0.1 degrees or better.

3. Can gyroscopes and accelerometers be used for boat tilt compensation?

Yes, gyroscope and accelerometer data can be used to compensate for boat tilt caused by external forces such as waves, wind, and current. By continuously measuring the tilt angle, the system can adjust and correct for any tilting motion, keeping the boat level.

4. Are there any limitations to using gyroscopes and accelerometers for boat tilt applications?

One limitation is that these sensors are affected by external factors such as temperature, vibration, and magnetic fields. Careful calibration and filtering techniques are necessary to minimize these effects. Additionally, the sensors may not be able to measure tilt angles beyond a certain range, which can limit their use in extreme boat tilting situations.

5. How can gyroscopes and accelerometers be integrated into a boat's navigation system?

Gyroscopes and accelerometers can be integrated into a boat's navigation system through various methods such as wired or wireless connections. The sensor data can be processed and displayed on a navigation screen or integrated with other navigation data, such as GPS, to provide a complete picture of the boat's movement and tilt angle.