Using 18% by weight ammonium hydroxide to make 16ppm aqueous solution

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the formula M1V1=M2V2 and its application in preparing a solution with a desired concentration of 16 mg of ammonium hydroxide per 1000 ml of solution. The confusion arises due to the 18% by weight concentration of ammonium hydroxide. It is determined that using volumes is not the correct approach and instead, masses should be used. The conversation also mentions the use of the density of pure water and the conversion of mass to volume. Ultimately, the desired finished concentration is 16 mg of ammonium hydroxide per 1000 ml of solution.
Frankenstein19
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
TL;DR Summary: Used M1V1=M2V2 but am unsure if formula applies

I feel like I could use M1V1=M2V2 but the 18% by weight ammonium hydroxide is confusing me so much.

Density of ammonium hydroxide 18% is 0.926 g/cm3

18%V1=16mg/L*200L

(18mg ammonium/100 mg of total solution) * V1 = 3,200mg ammonium (aq)

(18mg ammonium/100 mg of total solution) * V1 = 3,200mg ammonium (aq)

V1 = 3,200mg ammonium / 18mg ammonium * 100mg of total solution V1 = 17,777 mg of solution × 1g/1000mg × cm3/0.926g

V1 = 1.91 cm3

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
You even didn't wrote what is the volume you are trying to prepare - is it 200 L?

No, M1V1=M2V2 is not the right approach. You should not operate with volumes, but with masses.

18 ppm is typically w/w - that is, you want your solution to contain 18*10-6 ammonia by mass.

What is mass of the 200 L of the solution? (with no other data I would use just the density of pure water).

18 ppm of that - how many grams of ammonia required?

How many grams of the 18% solution contain required mass of ammonia?

And finally - convert to the volume.

The desired finished concentration is 16 mg. of ammonium hydroxide per 1000 ml. of solution. Helpful?

Let me jump ahead...
The amount of GRAMS of the base you'd have if you took v ml of the base solution(which is 18%) is ((0.18 grams ammnmhydxd)/(1 gram stock))((0.926 grams stock)/(1 ml. stock))v .Some simplifications and keeping in mind you want to prepare solution resulting in 16 mg. per 1000 ml,

((0.18)(0.926)v)/1000=16

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of using 18% by weight ammonium hydroxide to make a 16ppm aqueous solution?

The purpose of using 18% by weight ammonium hydroxide is to create a solution with a specific concentration of ammonium hydroxide, which is 16 parts per million (ppm). This concentration is often used in various industrial and laboratory applications, such as cleaning agents and chemical reactions.

2. How is the concentration of a solution measured in parts per million (ppm)?

The concentration of a solution is measured in parts per million (ppm) by determining the mass of the solute (in this case, ammonium hydroxide) in relation to the total mass of the solution. This is then multiplied by 1 million to get the concentration in parts per million.

3. What does 18% by weight mean in terms of the ammonium hydroxide solution?

18% by weight means that for every 100 grams of the solution, 18 grams of it is made up of ammonium hydroxide. This is a measure of the concentration of the solution and is often used in chemistry to indicate the amount of a specific substance in a solution.

4. Is 18% by weight ammonium hydroxide the same as 18% by volume?

No, 18% by weight and 18% by volume are not the same. By weight refers to the mass of the solute in relation to the total mass of the solution, while by volume refers to the volume of the solute in relation to the total volume of the solution. These two measurements can vary depending on the density of the solution.

5. How can I prepare a 16ppm aqueous solution using 18% by weight ammonium hydroxide?

To prepare a 16ppm aqueous solution using 18% by weight ammonium hydroxide, you will need to calculate the amount of ammonium hydroxide needed based on the total volume of the solution. This can be done by using the formula: (mass of ammonium hydroxide needed in grams) = (volume of solution in liters) x (concentration in ppm). Once you have calculated the mass of ammonium hydroxide needed, you can then dissolve it in the appropriate amount of water to create a 16ppm aqueous solution.

Back