Using Tensor Notations and Levi Civita Symbol to Prove Lagrange's Identity

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the Lagrange's identity using tensor notations and Levi Civita symbol. The identity (a x b).(c x d)=(a.c)(b.d) - (a.d)(b.c) is mentioned, as well as the cross product and dot product representations using the Levi Civita symbol. The use of the identity εijkεimn = δjmδkn - δjnδkm is suggested, and the conversation also mentions posting questions in the homework section of PF and providing information on attempted solutions. The conversation ends with a question about the number of terms in the right-hand side of the equation.
advphys
Dear all,

Any idea for the proof of the Lagrange's identity using tensor notations and Levi Civita symbol?

(a x b).(c x d)=(a.c)(b.d) - (a.d)(b.c)

x: cross product
a,b,c,d: vectors

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, thanks, in future i will be more careful.

What about the dot product on the left side, how can i use Levi Civita symbol to represent it.
Actually, the identity that you wrote and the cross product representation are all i know about the Levi Civita symbol but i couldn't use them.

Use the following identity:

εijkεimn = δjmδkn - δjnδkm

Also, in future, post questions like this in the homework section of PF, and tell us a little about how you've tried to solve the problem.

advphys said:
Ok, thanks, in future i will be more careful.

What about the dot product on the left side, how can i use Levi Civita symbol to represent it.
Actually, the identity that you wrote and the cross product representation are all i know about the Levi Civita symbol but i couldn't use them.
The i component of a x b is ajbkεijk and the i component of c x d is cmdnεimn

So their dot product is ajbkcmdnεijkεimn

ok from there,
ajcjbkdk-ajdjbkck
and i assume, similar form can be obtained for j and k components by just replacingg j s with k s, i s with j s and k s with i s. And in total i have 6 terms, 2 terms from each component. Am i right?

But, on the right had side i think i should have more than 6 terms?

What is Proof Lagrange's Identity?

Proof Lagrange's Identity is a mathematical proof that states the relationship between the product and sum of the roots of a polynomial.

Why is Proof Lagrange's Identity important?

Proof Lagrange's Identity is important because it provides a useful tool for solving polynomial equations and understanding their roots.

What is the formula for Proof Lagrange's Identity?

The formula for Proof Lagrange's Identity is:
∑rij=1xj = (-1)^i (ai/ai+1) where i is the degree of the polynomial and ai is the coefficient of the ith term.

How is Proof Lagrange's Identity derived?

Proof Lagrange's Identity is derived from the fundamental theorem of algebra and the Vieta's formulas for the sum and product of roots of a polynomial.

What are the practical applications of Proof Lagrange's Identity?

Proof Lagrange's Identity has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science, where polynomial equations are used to model real-world problems.