Using the Modulus to find a variable - to find co-ordinates

In summary, the co-ordinates of two points are A(4,-1) and B(7, -5). The line L1: 3x+4y−12 = is perpendicular to AB. P(10, k) is on a bisector of the angles between the lines L1 and L2 and L2 :5x+12y−20 =0. There are only one step left I think but I'm just unsure of how to solve this.
Lytk
The co-ordinates of two points are A(4,-1) and B(7, -5)
The line L1: 3x+4y−12 = is perpendicular to AB.

(a) Find, in terms of k, the distance between the point P (10, k) and the line L2

(b) P(10, k) is on a bisector of the angles between the lines L1 and
L2 and L2 :5x+12y−20 =0

Find the possible values of k. I got part (a) using the formula to for the distance between a line and a point.
The answer was
$$ \frac{\left| 18-4k \right|}{5} $$
To find possible values of k , I used the same formula to find the distance between a line and the point and made it equal to the $$ \frac{\left| 18-4k \right|}{5} $$ , because its on the bisector

I got $$ \frac{\left| 30+12k \right|}{13} = \frac{\left| 18-4k \right|}{5} $$

$$ (5) \left| 30+12k \right|= (13) \left| 18-4k \right| $$

Theres only one step left I think but I'm just unsure of how to solve this

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Lytk said:
The co-ordinates of two points are A(4,-1) and B(7, -5)
The line L1: 3x+4y−12 = is perpendicular to AB.
Was this a "true false" question? If so the answer is "false". The slope of line AB is (-5- (-1))/(7- 4)= -4/3 and the slope of L1 is -4/3. The two lines are not] perpendicular since the product of the two slopes is not -1.

(a) Find, in terms of k, the distance between the point P (10, k) and the line L2
First you will have to define "L2"! Did you mean "L1" in the previous question or "L2" in the following question?

(b) P(10, k) is on a bisector of the angles between the lines L1 and
L2 and L2 :5x+12y−20 =0

Find the possible values of k. I got part (a) using the formula to for the distance between a line and a point.
The answer was
$$ \frac{\left| 18-4k \right|}{5} $$
To find possible values of k , I used the same formula to find the distance between a line and the point and made it equal to the $$ \frac{\left| 18-4k \right|}{5} $$ , because its on the bisector

I got $$ \frac{\left| 30+12k \right|}{13} = \frac{\left| 18-4k \right|}{5} $$

$$ (5) \left| 30+12k \right|= (13) \left| 18-4k \right| $$

Theres only one step left I think but I'm just unsure of how to solve this

Hi ,
Sorry I didnt realize I made mistakes posting the question.

1) I had written the equation of the line wrong
It is 3x - 4y -12 =0 which makes the slope -3/-4 , which is 3/4
3/4 * -4/3 = -1

2) In (a) the question actually asked for the distance between P(10,k) and L1.

1. How do I use the modulus to find a variable?

The modulus is a mathematical operation that calculates the remainder when one number is divided by another. To use the modulus to find a variable, you will need two numbers: the dividend and the divisor. Then, you can use the formula "dividend % divisor = remainder" to find the remainder. This remainder can then be used as the value for the variable.

2. What is the purpose of using the modulus to find co-ordinates?

The modulus can be used to find co-ordinates in a graph by representing the x and y values as the remainder when divided by certain numbers. This helps to create a pattern and easily plot points on the graph.

3. Can the modulus be used to find negative co-ordinates?

Yes, the modulus can be used to find both positive and negative co-ordinates. The remainder will be negative if the dividend is negative, and positive if the dividend is positive. Make sure to keep track of the signs when using the modulus to find negative co-ordinates.

4. How does the modulus relate to finding the slope in a graph?

The modulus is not directly related to finding the slope in a graph. However, it can be used to find the slope by finding the co-ordinates of two points on the line and using the formula "slope = rise/run". The modulus can also be used to find the distance between two points on a graph, which is another important factor in calculating slope.

5. Are there any limitations to using the modulus to find variables and co-ordinates?

One limitation of using the modulus to find variables and co-ordinates is that it only works for whole numbers. It cannot be used with decimals or fractions. Additionally, the modulus can only be used to find linear patterns and may not work for more complex functions or curves.