Vaccines in Sci-Fi: Exploring Dystopian Outcomes of Mass Vaccination

In summary: In Tom Cruise's movie "The War of the Worlds", the invading Martians are unable to fight against the Earth's population because they don't have a functioning vaccine.This has the potential to devastate the world's population, leaving only a handful of people hiding in the Amazon.There are several themes related to vaccines in science fiction, but one of the most common is the idea of a virus that can wipe out a entire population.
chirhone
Any vaccines related themes in sci-fi?

I'm thinking what if majority of the world was vaccinated against covid-19. Then 2 years later, there are side effects of say infertility or neurological deficit or slow death. It can decimate the world's population leaving only some hidden population in the amazon jungle.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Wars of the Worlds involves the invading Martians not having a functional vaccine.
One could argue this leads to their downfall.

Likes Algr, hutchphd and atyy
BillTre said:
The Wars of the Worlds involves the invading Martians not having a functional vaccine.
One could argue this leads to their downfall.

The one by Tom Cruise is good and I think I may watch it again.

If you want to invade a planet. What faster way to make all take trojan horse "vaccine" (meant to destroy them) by first introducing a virus like covid-19. So this idea can be used in movies or even by malevolent extra solar evil federation to conquer worlds.

So I want to watch Star Trek with this ideas. Any episodes in mind?

The War of the Worlds is a book written in by H. G. Wells in just before 1900.
However, the book may still be more realistic than the film.
You may want read it.

A similar lack of ability to deal with diseases of an area limited european colonizaion of Africa for a while.

Johnny Mnemonic was of a cure related theme.

Likes pinball1970
chirhone said:

I'm thinking what if majority of the world was vaccinated against covid-19. Then 2 years later, there are side effects of say infertility or neurological deficit or slow death. It can decimate the world's population leaving only some hidden population in the amazon jungle.

An antivaxxer's wet dream - Survival of the stupidest?

Likes stefan r, pinball1970 and Keith_McClary
chirhone said:

Stargate SG-1, episodes "2010" and "2001" : alien race with wondertech/drugs (and a hidden agenda) gives Earth a lifespan doubling medicine, that later is proven to be the cause of mass sterilization and depopulation.

James Blish "Cities in Flight" - anti-aging medicines are currency.

There are quite a few more, but frankly actual human civilizations' histories have plenty of examples.

Last edited:
chirhone said:
If you want to invade a planet. What faster way to make all take trojan horse "vaccine" (meant to destroy them) by first introducing a virus like covid-19.

That reminds me of Rainbow Six.

chirhone said:
If you want to invade a planet. What faster way to make all take trojan horse "vaccine" (meant to destroy them) by first introducing a virus like covid-19. So this idea can be used in movies or even by malevolent extra solar evil federation to conquer worlds.

This line of thinking perplexes me a little. So some kind of creature has the tech to travel across the stars and they want to invade a planet, and the best they can come up with is somehow duping an entire population into taking a vaccine and then waiting for the population to die out because they are sterile?

Wouldn't they just engineer a virus to do the dirty work? Or orbital bombardment, or poisonous gases or any other number of ways to extinguish life without doing too much damage?

essenmein said:
This line of thinking perplexes me a little. So some kind of creature has the tech to travel across the stars and they want to invade a planet, and the best they can come up with is somehow duping an entire population into taking a vaccine and then waiting for the population to die out because they are sterile?

Wouldn't they just engineer a virus to do the dirty work? Or orbital bombardment, or poisonous gases or any other number of ways to extinguish life without doing too much damage?

In the Stargate franchise episodes I referred to a few posts upstream, the "victim" planets end up as agricultural provinces.

When the Europeans gave the First Nations peoples old blankets to use - riddled with smallpox (and since I wasn't there I have no idea if it was deliberate or not) - the upshot was not devastation of the land.

In Will Jenkins [1] "Symbiosis", an invaded country sees off its conquerers by giving their *own* people a "vaccine" which makes them asymptotic caarriers of a deadly plague, Later they all have to be re-vaccinated so that they can mix with foreigners again.

[1] aka Murray Leinster

chirhone said:
The way it's going now, only the wealthy and powerful countries will be vaccinated in 2 years.

I recently read and enjoyed Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (1992), winner of both Hugo and Nebula. It takes place in 2050 and is about an accidental time travel to 1348 (Black Death era) rather than to 1320. Lots of vaccines discussed.

Honestly, this thread shows how drama must fundamentally disagree with reality. It's hard to write a drama about a vaccine that works properly and does more good than harm, because there is no conflict at that point. The closest you could get is a story about the people developing or distributing the vaccine. Or people trying to get it or trying to stop others from getting it.

Algr said:
The closest you could get is a story about the people developing or distributing the vaccine. Or people trying to get it or trying to stop others from getting it.
Or people trying to weaponise it (e.g. in Tom Clancy's Operation Rainbow).

Peter Hamilton’s new Saints trilogy has an interesting take on the aliens ‘giving’ humans medical technology

Algr said:
Or people trying to get it or trying to stop others from getting it.
Or hoarding it while accusing those who share it of "vaccine diplomacy".

Likes stefan r and BillTre
Note to all, this is a year-old reincarnation of the thread.
Algr said:
Honestly, this thread shows how drama must fundamentally disagree with reality. It's hard to write a drama about a vaccine that works properly and does more good than harm, because there is no conflict at that point. The closest you could get is a story about the people developing or distributing the vaccine. Or people trying to get it or trying to stop others from getting it.
Disagree. I'm not sure I've ever seen a movie about a failed vaccine that causes long-term side effects (per the OP's vibe) or people fighting over vaccines (per recent posts), but I've seen a few relatively recent movies about vaccines saving the day. What would be rare is a movie focusing on the science of vaccine development, production and distribution, because that would be boring.

Contagion (2011), staring Matt Damon, is downright creepy in it's parallels to COVID-19, and I highly recommend it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contagion_(2011_film)

Outbreak (1995), staring Dustin Hoffman and Cuba Gooding Jr (something of an Andromeda Strain ripoff), is about developing a vaccine for an ebola-like virus, but there's a lot less gunfire, helicopter air-to-air battles and fuel-air-explosives in modern pharmaceutical R&D than is depicted in the movie...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outbreak_(film)

These are realistic, "hard" science fiction movies.

Here's a top 10 list:
https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/arts-and-culture/g32419194/pandemic-movies/

Zombie apocalypse movies are popular these days and a few of them include the possibility of recovery with new medicines/vaccines. These are less realistic of course, but still:

World War Z (2013), staring Brad Pitt:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_Z_(film)

I Am Legend, 2004, Will Smith:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Legend_(film)

The Last Ship; TV, 2014 has a little bit of a fighting-over-the-vaccine theme in the first season:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Last_Ship_episodes#Season_1_(2014)

Last edited:
Likes DennisN and BillTre
hmmm27 said:

When the Europeans gave the First Nations peoples old blankets to use - riddled with smallpox (and since I wasn't there I have no idea if it was deliberate or not) - the upshot was not devastation of the land.
There is evidence that fabric from a small pox clinic was given. Not much evidence of where exactly epidemics in native communities originated.

Genocidal intent is not in doubt. Every state (and colony) had scalp bounties on the books. We have records of legislatures debating the topic. We have records of the bounties being paid. Many states repealed scalp bounties and the recorded debate was focused on budget shortfall. The state legislatures reestablished the scalp bounties and the argument in favor was popular demand. We only doubt whether the European settlers successfully demonstrated the technical capability of implementing biological warfare.

Likes russ_watters and Keith_McClary
hard to do systematic biological warfare without a germ theory of disease

European diseases outpaced European settlers, most native Americans were wiped out long before white people arrived. This susceptibility motivated the importation of African slaves which possesses resistance to both European and tropical diseases

Pretty certain that the movie "I am Legend" was based on the idea that a failed vaccine led to everyone becoming vampires (they don't explain that they're vampires in the movie, they make them zombie-monsters who burn in sunlight).

Likes russ_watters

1. How have vaccines been portrayed in science fiction?

In science fiction, vaccines have been portrayed in various ways. Some stories depict them as a necessary tool for survival in a dystopian world, while others portray them as a means of control by a totalitarian government. Some stories also explore the consequences of mass vaccination, such as the emergence of new diseases or the loss of individuality.

2. What are some examples of dystopian outcomes of mass vaccination?

One example is in the novel "The Maze Runner" by James Dashner, where a virus called the Flare is spread through a mass vaccination campaign, causing those who are vaccinated to lose their memories and become violent. Another example is in the TV series "The 100", where a mass vaccination program leads to a genetic mutation that causes people to develop superhuman abilities but also makes them susceptible to a deadly virus.

3. How do these dystopian outcomes relate to real-world concerns about vaccines?

These dystopian outcomes reflect the fears and concerns that some people have about vaccines in the real world. Some worry about the potential side effects or long-term consequences of mass vaccination, while others fear that vaccines could be used as a means of control by governments or corporations.

4. Are there any positive depictions of vaccines in science fiction?

Yes, there are also positive depictions of vaccines in science fiction. In the TV series "The Expanse", vaccines are shown as crucial for survival in a future where humans have colonized other planets. In the movie "Contagion", vaccines are used to prevent the spread of a deadly virus and ultimately save humanity.

5. What can we learn from these depictions of vaccines in science fiction?

These depictions of vaccines in science fiction serve as cautionary tales about the potential consequences of mass vaccination. They also highlight the importance of responsible and ethical use of vaccines, as well as the need for ongoing research and development to ensure their safety and effectiveness.