Vacuum Distillation Setup on a Budget

In summary, this person does not think that using an air compressor and aspirator will be sufficient to pull 10 Torr. They suggest trying eBay or Craigslist for a used one.
GiTS
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi GiTS. I really don't think that will work. Even if modified to reduce piston ring leakage, it's only a single stage, so I doubt it would get below ~2 psia assuming it was properly modified. But modifying that is going to be more expensive than just getting a real vacuum pump.

Try ebay or Craigslist. A used one can be picked up for about $50 from what I've seen.

I don't want to turn the compressor into a vac. I want to hook the output up to a compressed air powered aspirator. But I don't know how much horsepower I need to get the aspirator to pull 10 Torr.

I should think the specs of the aspirator would tell you.

Incidentally, 10 Torr is well within the capabilities of a single-stage rotary vane pump, of the type used by HVAC repairmen. I have one I use for various nefarious vacuum-related experiments.

thanks for the tip. I think this might be perfect
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rotary-Vane-Vacuum-Pump-29%22Hg-3-CFM-1%2f4-HP-AC-HVAC-Tool_W0QQitemZ390068911886QQcmdZViewItem

29 in-Hg of vacuum works out to 736 Torr below atmospheric (which is nominally 760, depending on where you live / work).

May want to make sure your glassware can handle that without imploding (assuming that you in fact reach the ultimate pressure of the pump).

You need one more like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390066833029

What is vacuum distillation and why is it important?

Vacuum distillation is a process used to separate and purify different components of a mixture by distilling them at a reduced pressure. It is important because it allows for the distillation of compounds with high boiling points and prevents them from degrading at high temperatures.

What is a budget-friendly setup for vacuum distillation?

A budget-friendly setup for vacuum distillation typically includes a round-bottom flask, a distillation head, a condenser, a vacuum pump, and a heating source. These components can be purchased at a lower cost from online retailers or scientific supply stores.

Can vacuum distillation be done without a vacuum pump?

Technically, vacuum distillation can be done without a vacuum pump, but the process will be much less efficient and may not result in a high-quality product. A vacuum pump is necessary to create the low pressure environment needed for efficient distillation.

What precautions should be taken when setting up a vacuum distillation on a budget?

When setting up a budget-friendly vacuum distillation, it is important to carefully read and follow all instructions for the equipment and materials being used. It is also important to wear proper protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, and to make sure all connections are tight to prevent any accidents.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using a budget-friendly vacuum distillation setup?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using a budget-friendly vacuum distillation setup include using incompatible materials, not properly sealing the distillation apparatus, and not properly adjusting the vacuum pressure. It is also important to regularly check and maintain the equipment to ensure safe and efficient operation.

Back