Vacuum system pressure rise rate

In summary, the conversation discusses a pulsed laser deposition (PLD) system and the various ports and devices within the chamber that may be sources of leaks. The current pressure achieved with the turbo pump is 1.3*10^-7 Torr and the ion pump is isolated and at ~10^-9 Torr. The system has not been baked out in a while, so the pressure may not have reached 10^-8 Torr. To test for leaks, the individual suggests closing the gate valve to the turbo pump and monitoring the pressure rise over time, which should increase with each cycle as the outgassing decreases. They also suggest using helium to detect leaks.
dnvlgm
Hello, I am currently working on a pulsed laser deposition (PLD) system whose volume is approximately 115 to 120 liters. As you can assume, there are a lot of ports in the chamber but a lot of them are windows or blanks (2.75, 4.5 and 6 inch). Significant ports (possible sources of leaks -virtual and real) include a bellows, sample and target holders and a couple other small volume devices. When pumping only with a turbo pump (backed by a scroll pump) the lowest pressure achieved is about 1.3*10^-7 Torr. Forget about ion pumps, they are not relevant to my question -I think- and so they are (running) isolated by a (leak tested) gate valve at ~10^-9 Torr. It is important to note that this system (main chamber and ion pump) have not been baked out in a long time after being vented several times in the last few months, so I don't find it surprising that the turbo hasn't pumped the main chamber down to 10^-8 Torr in 3-4 weeks or that the Ion pump is at ~high 10^-9 to low 10^-9 Torr (current in the mid 10^-5 A).

Now, here's the thing. I do not have an RGA to leak check but it appears to me that a very simple test could somewhat give an idea of whether there is a leak or not. What I did was to close the (leak checked) gate valve to the turbo pump (remember ion pumps are isolated and their gate valve is leak free) so as to let the pressure rise slowly while monitoring it (see attached graph). Basically, the pressure rises ~2 orders of magnitude in ~35 minutes (from ~1.3*10^-7 to ~6.8*10^-5 Torr). To me this seems perfectly normal: unbaked (large volume) chamber walls outgas, air slowly creeps in, you name it. If there were a significant leak I would expect the pressure to rise much faster but then again I'm not sure. Any comments as to whether this looks like a leak or not? Thanks ahead!

Attachments

• pressureTest.png
    pressureTest.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 571
Engineering news on Phys.org
It's been decades since I did vacuum work, but you might try to pump it down several
times in a row. Watch and record the time it takes the pressure to climb after each cycle.
The out gassing will get less and less, so your pressure climb time should increase with each cycle. When you have somewhat of a stable time, you are just looking at your leak.
Release some helium around each of the suspected leak areas and watch the pressure.
The helium is so small it will more readily "fit" through the leak. I am hoping you will see a slight pressure spike when you pass the leak.

1. What is vacuum system pressure rise rate?

Vacuum system pressure rise rate refers to the rate at which the pressure inside a vacuum system increases over time. It is usually measured in units of pressure per time, such as torr per second or millibar per minute.

2. Why is vacuum system pressure rise rate important?

Vacuum system pressure rise rate is important because it can affect the performance and efficiency of the vacuum system. A high pressure rise rate can lead to decreased vacuum levels, which can impact the quality of experiments or processes being carried out in the system.

3. What factors can affect vacuum system pressure rise rate?

There are several factors that can affect vacuum system pressure rise rate, including the type of vacuum pump being used, the condition of the vacuum pump and its components, the size and design of the vacuum chamber, and the temperature and humidity of the surrounding environment.

4. How can vacuum system pressure rise rate be controlled?

Vacuum system pressure rise rate can be controlled by using a properly sized and maintained vacuum pump, ensuring the vacuum chamber is properly sealed and free of leaks, and controlling the environmental conditions around the system. It is also important to regularly monitor and adjust the vacuum system pressure to maintain the desired pressure levels.

5. What are some common troubleshooting tips for high vacuum system pressure rise rate?

If you are experiencing a high vacuum system pressure rise rate, some common troubleshooting tips include checking for leaks in the vacuum chamber and connections, ensuring the vacuum pump is properly sized and functioning correctly, and adjusting the environmental conditions to optimize vacuum performance. It may also be helpful to consult with a vacuum system expert for further assistance.