Validity of following solution

• MHB
  • Thread starter kalish1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the validity of a solution to a problem involving Stokes' theorem. The solution uses the concept of a conservative vector field and the closed path property of Stokes' theorem to show that the integral over the surface of a sphere is equal to zero. However, there are some issues with the problem statement and the understanding of Stokes' theorem that need to be clarified.
kalish1
I would like to know if my following solution to a problem is valid or not.

**Problem:**

If $S$ is a sphere and $F$ satisfies the hypotheses of Stokes' theorem, show that $$\iint_{S}F\cdot ds =0.$$

**Solution:**

Stokes' theorem claims that if we "cap off" the curve $C$ by any surface $S$ (with appropriate orientation) then the line integral can be computed in terms of the curl. Solving mathematically, let $S$ be the surface of the sphere and be bounded by a curve $C$ and let $\vec F$ be the vector field which satisfies Stokes' theorem. Then, for every closed path $\int_{C}^{} \vec F \cdot \vec dr = 0$ because $\vec F$ is a conservative vector field in Stokes' theorem. Hence by Stokes' theorem we get $\int_{C}^{} \vec F \cdot \vec dr = \int_{}^{}\int_{S}^{} \vec F \cdot \vec ds = 0$ (from the definition of conservative field.)

I have cross-posted this question here and here:
http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/740899/validity-of-following-solution
Validity of following solution - Math Help Forum

Physics news on Phys.org
kalish said:
I would like to know if my following solution to a problem is valid or not.

**Problem:**

If $S$ is a sphere and $F$ satisfies the hypotheses of Stokes' theorem, show that $$\iint_{S}F\cdot ds =0.$$

**Solution:**

Stokes' theorem claims that if we "cap off" the curve $C$ by any surface $S$ (with appropriate orientation) then the line integral can be computed in terms of the curl. Solving mathematically, let $S$ be the surface of the sphere and be bounded by a curve $C$ and let $\vec F$ be the vector field which satisfies Stokes' theorem. Then, for every closed path $\int_{C}^{} \vec F \cdot \vec dr = 0$ because $\vec F$ is a conservative vector field in Stokes' theorem. Hence by Stokes' theorem we get $\int_{C}^{} \vec F \cdot \vec dr = \int_{}^{}\int_{S}^{} \vec F \cdot \vec ds = 0$ (from the definition of conservative field.)

I have cross-posted this question here and here:
http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/740899/validity-of-following-solution
Validity of following solution - Math Help Forum

Hi kalish!

Your problem statement does not seem to be quite correct.

If $S$ is a sphere it would not be a capped off closed curve.
In other words, Stokes would not apply.

Perhaps Gauss's theorem is intended?
$$\iint_{\partial V} F \cdot dS = \iiint_V \nabla\cdot F dV$$Furthermore, can you clarify what you mean by the hypotheses of Stokes' theorem?
The only thing I can think of, is the condition of Stokes' theorem that says that the curl of the vector field must be properly defined on the surface.

Either way, something more must have been intended, otherwise the integral would not be guaranteed to be zero.

What is the definition of validity in a scientific solution?

Validity in a scientific solution refers to the extent to which the solution accurately measures what it is intended to measure. It is a measure of how well the solution reflects the reality of the situation being studied.

How is validity determined in a scientific solution?

Validity is determined through a rigorous evaluation process, using various methods such as experiments, data analysis, and peer review. The solution must demonstrate consistency, reliability, and accuracy in order to be considered valid.

What are the different types of validity in a scientific solution?

There are several types of validity that can be assessed in a scientific solution. These include internal validity, external validity, construct validity, and statistical conclusion validity. Each type evaluates a different aspect of the solution's accuracy and relevance.

Why is it important to ensure validity in a scientific solution?

Ensuring validity in a scientific solution is crucial because it provides confidence in the accuracy and reliability of the results. Without validity, the solution may not accurately reflect the reality of the situation being studied, leading to misleading or incorrect conclusions.

What are some common threats to validity in a scientific solution?

There are several common threats to validity that can affect the accuracy of a scientific solution. These include bias, confounding variables, and measurement errors. It is important to identify and address these threats in order to ensure the validity of the solution.