Validity of integral involving delta function

In summary, the conversation discusses the well-definedness and evaluation of an integral involving the Dirac delta function and the Heaviside step function. It also explores the possibility of choosing different functions to represent these functions and how it affects the convergence of the integral. The conversation also delves into the properties and constructions of generalized functions.
SarthakC
Hi,

Is the following integral well defined? If it is, then what does it evaluate to?

[tex] \int_{-1}^{1} \delta(x) \Theta(x) \mathrm{d}x [/tex]

where [itex]\delta(x)[/itex] is the dirac delta function, and [itex]\Theta(x)[/itex] is the the Heaviside step function.

What about if I choose two functions [itex]f_k[/itex] and [itex]g_k[/itex], which are such that [itex] f_k \rightarrow \delta(x) [/itex] and [itex] g_k \rightarrow \Theta(x) [/itex]? Will this integral converge? I understand that if i choose [itex]f_k[/itex] and [itex]g_k[/itex] such that [itex]f_k = g'_k[/itex] then this integral will evaluate to [itex]1/2[/itex], but what if i choose other independent representation of these functions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It isn't really translation. the Theta function makes a reasonable difference. And I'm evaluatig both funcitons without any delay. Could you elaborate how it is a case of translation?

The integral is coming about in my attempts to solve a differential equation of a particular form (I had asked a question about this earlier: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=760961). In trying to evaluate a some boundary conditions of this equation I'm ending up evaluating integrals of this form.

$$\int_{-1}^1 \Theta(x)\delta(x)\; dx = \int_{-\infty}^\infty \Theta(x)\delta(x)\; dx - \int_{-\infty}^1\Theta(x)\delta(x)\; dx - \int_1^\infty \Theta(x)\delta(x)\; dx$$

Simon Bridge said:
$$\int_{-1}^1 \Theta(x)\delta(x)\; dx = \int_{-\infty}^\infty \Theta(x)\delta(x)\; dx - \int_{-\infty}^1\Theta(x)\delta(x)\; dx - \int_1^\infty \Theta(x)\delta(x)\; dx$$

Um.. Could you elaborate on how this helps?

IIRC, we have ##\delta \cdot H = \frac{1}{2}H##, so
##\int_{-1}^{1} \delta(x)\, H(x) \, \phi(x)\, dx = \int_{-1}^{1}\frac{1}{2}H(x) \, \phi(x) = \frac{1}{2}\int_{0}^{1}\phi(x)\, dx##
for any test function ##\phi \in \mathcal{D}(-1,1)##. Set ##\phi(x)=1## and we get 1/2.

pwsnafu said:
IIRC, we have ##\delta \cdot H = \frac{1}{2}H##

And how do you prove this statement? I would be more inclined to believe it to be ##\frac{1}{2}\delta##, instead. But i can't prove that either.

SarthakC said:
And how do you prove this statement? I would be more inclined to believe it to be ##\frac{1}{2}\delta##, instead. But i can't prove that either.

Doh! You're right it would be ##\frac{1}{2}\delta## wouldn't it?
supp##(\delta\cdot H)## = supp##(\delta)\cdot##supp(H) ##=\{0\}##, so it can't be Heaviside.

When I go to uni on Monday I'll look it up for you.

The [itex]\delta[/itex] "function" is NOT a true function. It is a "distribution" or "generalized function". Those are defined as operators on functions. Specifically, if f is any function defined on a closed and bounded measurable set that includes "0" then [tex]\delta(f)= f(0)[/tex]. Given a "regular function, g(x), we can define a corresponding generalized function using and integral- the generalized function G is given by [itex]G(f)= \int_{-\infty}^{\infy}f(t)f(t)dt[/itex]. But most generalized functions, including the "[itex]\delta[/itex] function" cannot be written that way. The Polish mathematician, Mikuzinski, showed how to "construct" the generalized functions from regular functions in much the way the real numbers can be "constructed" from the rational numbers using equivalence classes of sequences.

Okay it is indeed ##\frac{1}{2}\delta##. A proof sketch follows:

Let ##\rho_n(x)## be a delta sequence. Then define
##H(x) = \int_{-\infty}^x \rho_n(t) \, dt##.
We see that ##\lim_{n\to\infty}H^2_n = H## and hence
##\lim_{n\to\infty} 2 H_n(x) \rho_n(x) = \delta(x)##.

The problem is ill-defined. Considering such well-defined “deformations” of the expression under integral as [itex]\delta(x-x_0) \Theta(x),\ x\in{\mathbb R}\setminus\{0\} [/itex], we’ll obtain 0 for negative x0 and [itex]\delta(x-x_0)[/itex] for positive x0.

What is the delta function and how is it used in integrals?

The delta function, also known as the Dirac delta function, is a mathematical function that is defined to be zero everywhere except at a single point, where it is infinitely large. In integrals, the delta function is used to represent a very narrow and tall spike at a specific point, and it allows us to solve certain types of integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible.

What is the validity of an integral involving the delta function?

The validity of an integral involving the delta function depends on the context in which it is used. In general, the integral is valid as long as it follows the rules of integration and the properties of the delta function. However, it is important to note that the delta function is a mathematical abstraction and may not always accurately represent physical phenomena.

How do you evaluate an integral with the delta function?

Evaluating an integral with the delta function involves using the properties of the delta function to simplify the integral. This may include using the sifting property, the scaling property, and the sifting theorem. It is also important to consider the limits of integration and how they may be affected by the delta function.

What are the limitations of using the delta function in integrals?

One limitation of using the delta function in integrals is that it is a mathematical abstraction and may not accurately represent physical phenomena in all cases. Additionally, care must be taken when using the delta function to ensure that the integral is well-defined and does not result in any mathematical errors.

Can the delta function be used in multiple dimensions?

Yes, the delta function can be extended to multiple dimensions, such as in three-dimensional space. In this case, the delta function is used to represent a spike at a specific point in three-dimensional space. The properties and rules of the delta function still apply in multiple dimensions, but the equations may become more complex.