Variation of the shared birthday problem

• MHB
  • Thread starter Asifbymagic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variation
In summary, the conversation is about a team of fourteen people who have two dates where two people share the same birthday. They are trying to figure out the probability of this happening, but are having trouble with the calculations. One person suggests a counting method to determine the probability, taking into account the number of ways to choose birthdays for non-paired individuals and the total number of possible combinations.
Asifbymagic
I work as part of a team of fourteen. No big challenge to work out the probability of two of us sharing a birthday. It's a well-documented puzzle.

In my team, we've gone one better: we have two dates where two people have birthdays on that day!

Trying to work out the probability has us stumped. Not of 4/14 not having unique birthdays, but of two pairs of shared birthdays.

Can someone work me through a solution?

Thanks! Alex

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I am not an expert in probability, but I've studied it some. Here's my approach.

Let's try counting, and let's start with the $10$ folks with unique birthdays. There'd be $365$ ways to choose the first birthday, $364$ for the second, and so on (ignoring leap year). That is, you'd have $\dfrac{365!}{355!}$ ways to choose these birthdays. Now let's choose the first pair. There are $355$ ways to choose the first pair's birthday, and thus $354$ ways to choose the second pair's birthday. But this is simply reasoning the same way as before, so you have $\dfrac{365!}{353!}$ ways to choose everyone's birthday. However, this number, as is, is too restrictive, because the way I've counted so far assumes which people would be in the pairs. We need to count how many ways we can get the pairs. An easier way of doing this is to count how many ways we can get the ten non-pairs. That's simply $\displaystyle\binom{14}{10}$. There are $365^{14}$ total ways to assign the birthdays randomly. So, our probability would be
$$\frac{\displaystyle\left(\frac{365!}{353!}\right)\binom{14}{10}}{365^{14}}\approx 6.26\times 10^{-3}.$$

1. What is the shared birthday problem?

The shared birthday problem is a mathematical concept that explores the probability of two or more people sharing the same birthday in a group of a certain size. It is also known as the birthday paradox, as it may seem counterintuitive that in a group of only 23 people, there is a more than 50% chance that two of them share the same birthday.

2. How is the probability of a shared birthday calculated?

The probability of a shared birthday is calculated using a formula that takes into account the number of people in a group and the total number of possible birthdays. The formula is 1 - (365!/((365-n)!*365^n)), where n is the number of people in the group. This formula assumes that all birthdays are equally likely to occur.

3. What is the significance of the number 23 in the shared birthday problem?

The number 23 is significant because it is the minimum number of people needed in a group for there to be a greater than 50% chance of two people sharing the same birthday. This probability increases as the group size increases, but 23 is the tipping point where it becomes more likely than not.

4. How does the variation of the shared birthday problem differ from the original problem?

The variation of the shared birthday problem explores the probability of multiple people sharing the same birthday in a group, rather than just two people. This means that the probability increases as the group size increases, and the formula for calculating it becomes more complex.

5. What are some real-life applications of the shared birthday problem?

The shared birthday problem has been used in fields such as statistics, cryptography, and even marketing. In statistics, it can be used to better understand the likelihood of random events occurring. In cryptography, it can be used to assess the strength of encryption methods. In marketing, it can be used to predict the probability of two people in a target audience having the same birthday, which can be useful for personalized promotions or discounts.