Vector Analysis using Basis Vectors

In summary, equation 2 is a way to find the coefficient of a given vector when you don't know what it is. It is useful for cases where you have a vector but don't know its components.
Jimmy87
Hi pf,

Having some trouble with basis vectors for expanding a given vector in 3-D space.

Any given vector in 3-D space can be given by a sum of component vectors in the form:
V = e1V1 + e2V2 + e3V3 (where e1, e2 and e3 are the same as i, j and k unit vectors). Equation 1.

I am happy with this.

If you want to find the coefficient V2 you can do the following:

e2 . V = (ei . e2) Vi = (di2) Vi (the dot in between is supposed to be the dot product and d is supposed to be kronecker's delta). Equation 2.

When i is two then delta i2 is one which means 1 x V2 which equals V2.

Equation 2 is what I am not happy with. I get the equation and I understand what kronecker's delta is but how would this ever help you find the coefficient V2? Let's say that you have some vector of magnitude 5 in a 2-D space then we know the components are 3 (y component) and 4 (x component). Let's say you didn't know the y-component was 3 then how would equation 2 be of any use to you? Equation 2 seems nonsense to me. It just looks like its saying (e2 x e2) V2 = (1) x V2 = V2 which is obvious but I don't see how you can use it to get V2 when you don't know what V2 is which is what my book seems to be implying. Could somebody give me an example of how you would use equation 2 to find a coefficient of a vector?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't get V2 out of equation 2. Equation 2 is a description of the relationship between components of an arbitrary vector and the unit vectors. It doesn't tell how to get the components unless you know them in advance.

Likes Jimmy87
mathman said:
You can't get V2 out of equation 2. Equation 2 is a description of the relationship between components of an arbitrary vector and the unit vectors. It doesn't tell how to get the components unless you know them in advance.

I found this lecture which pretty much contains what it says in my book.

Look at 34mins 30secs. He says "How much e1 do I need, there is a very simple trick for that". He then pretty much writes my equation two. By "how much e1 do I need" sounds to me like "what is coefficient V2". What is the point in the equation he writes down (my equation 2). How is it useful if you can't use it to calculate anything?

I don't fully understand what he is doing. He must have a definition of this V somehow.

Jimmy87 said:
Hi pf,

Having some trouble with basis vectors for expanding a given vector in 3-D space.

Any given vector in 3-D space can be given by a sum of component vectors in the form:
V = e1V1 + e2V2 + e3V3 (where e1, e2 and e3 are the same as i, j and k unit vectors). Equation 1.

I am happy with this.

If you want to find the coefficient V2 you can do the following:

e2 . V = (ei . e2) Vi = (di2) Vi (the dot in between is supposed to be the dot product and d is supposed to be kronecker's delta). Equation 2.

When i is two then delta i2 is one which means 1 x V2 which equals V2.

Equation 2 is what I am not happy with. I get the equation and I understand what kronecker's delta is but how would this ever help you find the coefficient V2? Let's say that you have some vector of magnitude 5 in a 2-D space then we know the components are 3 (y component) and 4 (x component). Let's say you didn't know the y-component was 3 then how would equation 2 be of any use to you? Equation 2 seems nonsense to me. It just looks like its saying (e2 x e2) V2 = (1) x V2 = V2 which is obvious but I don't see how you can use it to get V2 when you don't know what V2 is which is what my book seems to be implying. Could somebody give me an example of how you would use equation 2 to find a coefficient of a vector?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

I guess you need to think that e2 = 0e1 + 1e2 + 0e3. Now take the dot product with any other vector you will only get the coefficient of e2 in that vector. Try matrix multiplications if you are familiar, that would help. Matrices are essentially representations of vectors using numbers and gets rid of somewhat pesky basis vectors. Useful for simple cases for you to visualize the more abstract vectors.

Likes Jimmy87
The result appears "trivial" to you because you have been given a toy model for illustrative purposes. If you work purely in a single coordinate basis (and everything is only represented in that basis), then of course the orthogonality relation doesn't tell you anything new. However, vectors exist independently of their representations in a coordinate basis.
As another toy (but possibly more useful) example, let's say we have a vector that has the representation [tex]\vec{v} \equiv v_{x} \hat{e}_{x} + v_{y}\hat{e}_{y} + v_{z} \hat{e}_{z}.[/tex] We might want to work in a slightly different coordinate basis, say [tex]\{\hat{e}_{x}' = \left(\hat{e}_{x} + \hat{e}_{y}\right)/\sqrt{2}\quad,\quad \hat{e}_{y}' = \left(\hat{e}_{x} - \hat{e}_{y}\right)/\sqrt{2}\quad,\quad \hat{e}_{z}' = \hat{e}_{z}\},[/tex] and the components of [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] in this new basis can simply be gotten as [tex]v_{x}' = \vec{v}\cdot \hat{e}_{x}'\quad,\quad v_{y}' = \vec{v}\cdot \hat{e}_{y}'\quad,\quad v_{z}' = \vec{v}\cdot \hat{e}_{z}'[/tex]
On a more abstract level, this idea becomes much more important when dealing with more general vector spaces. Let's consider the familiar Fourier expansion for instance: [tex]f(x) = \frac{a_{0}}{2} + \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} a_{n} \cos(nx) + b_{n} \sin(nx)[/tex] How might we recover the coefficients [itex]a_{n}[/itex] and [itex]b_{n}[/itex]? Well, because [itex]\{1,\cos(nx),\sin(nx)\}[/itex] is an orthogonal basis with respect to integration over the periodic interval [itex][-\pi,\pi][/itex], we can apply a similar idea as before to arrive at [tex]a_{n} = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(x) \cos (nx) \mathrm{d}x \qquad \qquad b_{n} = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(x) \sin (nx) \mathrm{d}x[/tex]
The same concept also occurs in quantum mechanics when you decompose a wavefunction into a complete eigenbasis set.

Likes Jimmy87

1. What is vector analysis?

Vector analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vectors and their properties. It involves the use of mathematical operations and techniques to analyze and manipulate vectors in order to solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. What are basis vectors?

Basis vectors are a set of linearly independent vectors that form the basis for a vector space. They are used to express any vector in that space as a linear combination of the basis vectors. In other words, they are the fundamental building blocks of a vector space.

3. How do you perform vector analysis using basis vectors?

To perform vector analysis using basis vectors, you first need to express the given vectors in terms of the basis vectors. This is done by finding the coefficients of the basis vectors in the linear combination that represents the given vector. Then, you can use various mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication to manipulate the vectors and solve problems.

4. What are some common applications of vector analysis using basis vectors?

Vector analysis using basis vectors has many applications in different fields, including physics, engineering, computer graphics, and machine learning. It is used to solve problems involving forces, motion, and equilibrium in physics, as well as to model and analyze complex systems in engineering. In computer graphics, it is used to create and manipulate 3D objects, while in machine learning, it is used to analyze and classify large amounts of data.

5. Are there any limitations to vector analysis using basis vectors?

Vector analysis using basis vectors has its limitations, particularly when dealing with non-linear systems. In such cases, it may be necessary to use more advanced mathematical techniques, such as multivariable calculus, to analyze and manipulate vectors. Additionally, the choice of basis vectors can greatly affect the results of vector analysis, so it is important to carefully select the appropriate basis for the given problem.