Vector calculations - Geogebra

In summary, the conversation involved the calculation of various properties of two vectors, $u=-i-k=(-1,0,-1)$ and $v=i+j+2k=(1,1,2)$. These properties included the lengths of the vectors, the angle between them in radians, and the vector projection of $u$ on $v$. The conversation also mentioned using Geogebra to perform these calculations and asking for help with a command for the projection in Geogebra.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

We have the vectors $v=i+j+2k=(1,1,2)$ and $u=-i-k=(-1,0,-1)$.

I have calculated the following:
\begin{align*}&|v|=\sqrt{1^2+1^2+2^2}=\sqrt{1+1+4}=\sqrt{6} \\ &|u|=\sqrt{(-1)^2+0^2+(-1)^2}=\sqrt{1+0+1}=\sqrt{2} \\ &v\cdot u=(1,1,2)\cdot (-1,0,-1)=1\cdot (-1)+1\cdot 0+2\cdot (-1)=-1+0-2=-3 \\ &u\times v=\begin{vmatrix}i & j & k\\ -1 & 0 & -1 \\ 1 & 1 & 2\end{vmatrix}=i+j-k=(1,1-1) \\ &v\times u=-(u\times v)=-i-j+k=(-1-1,1) \\ &|v\times u|=\sqrt{(-1)^2+(-1)^2+1^2}=\sqrt{1+1+1}=\sqrt{3} \end{align*}

As for the angle between $u$ and $v$ in radians we have:
\begin{align*}|u\times v|=|-(v\times u)|=|v\times u|=|v|\cdot |u|\cdot \sin \theta &\Rightarrow \sin \theta=\frac{|v\times u|}{|v|\cdot |u|}=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{6}\cdot \sqrt{2}}=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{3}\cdot \sqrt{2}\cdot \sqrt{2}}=\frac{1}{2} \\ & \Rightarrow \theta=2\pi n+\frac{\pi}{6} \ \text{ or } \ \theta=2\pi n+\frac{5\pi}{6}, \ n\in \mathbb{Z}\end{align*}

The vector projection of $u$ on $v$ is:
\begin{equation*}\frac{u\cdot v}{|v|^2}v=\frac{v\cdot u}{|v|^2}v=\frac{-3}{\sqrt{6}^2}(1,1,2)=\frac{-3}{6}(1,1,2)=-\frac{1}{2}(1,1,2)=\left (-\frac{1}{2},-\frac{1}{2},-1\right )\end{equation*} Is everything correct so far? (Wondering)
Now I want calculate all the above using Geogebra. I need a little help at this.

Firstly, we have the length of the vectors $u$ and $v$. I found a manual and there is teh command Length[<vector>] but it didn't work, I must have done something wrong.
Could you help me? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
We have the vectors $v=i+j+2k=(1,1,2)$ and $u=-i-k=(-1,0,-1)$.

As for the angle between $u$ and $v$ in radians we have:
\begin{align*}|u\times v|=|-(v\times u)|=|v\times u|=|v|\cdot |u|\cdot \sin \theta &\Rightarrow \sin \theta=\frac{|v\times u|}{|v|\cdot |u|}=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{6}\cdot \sqrt{2}}=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{3}\cdot \sqrt{2}\cdot \sqrt{2}}=\frac{1}{2} \\ & \Rightarrow \theta=2\pi n+\frac{\pi}{6} \ \text{ or } \ \theta=2\pi n+\frac{5\pi}{6}, \ n\in \mathbb{Z}\end{align*}

Hey mathmari!

Shouldn't we have 1 angle?
The angle between two vectors is usually defined as the unique shortest angle between them, which is between $0$ and $\pi$ radians.
Unfortunately the cross product does not allow us to distinguish whether the angle is bigger or smaller than $\frac\pi 2$. (Worried)

Perhaps we should use the dot product? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
The vector projection of $u$ on $v$ is:
\begin{equation*}\frac{u\cdot v}{|v|^2}v=\frac{v\cdot u}{|v|^2}v=\frac{-3}{\sqrt{6}^2}(1,1,2)=\frac{-3}{6}(1,1,2)=-\frac{1}{2}(1,1,2)=\left (-\frac{1}{2},-\frac{1}{2},-1\right )\end{equation*}

Is everything correct so far?

Yep. (Nod)

mathmari said:
Now I want calculate all the above using Geogebra. I need a little help at this.

Firstly, we have the length of the vectors $u$ and $v$. I found a manual and there is the command Length[<vector>] but it didn't work, I must have done something wrong.
Could you help me?

If I type [M]v=(1,1,2)[/M], I get the vector [M]v[/M].
And when I type [M]length(v)[/M] or [M]length((1,1,2))[/M], I get its length.
What do you get? (Thinking)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Shouldn't we have 1 angle?
The angle between two vectors is usually defined as the unique shortest angle between them, which is between $0$ and $\pi$ radians.
Unfortunately the cross product does not allow us to distinguish whether the angle is bigger or smaller than $\frac\pi 2$. (Worried)

Perhaps we should use the dot product? (Wondering)

Ahh ok! Now I get only $\frac{5\pi}{6}$.
Klaas van Aarsen said:
If I type [M]v=(1,1,2)[/M], I get the vector [M]v[/M].
And when I type [M]length(v)[/M] or [M]length((1,1,2))[/M], I get its length.
What do you get? (Thinking)

Now I got everything but I got stuck at the projection. Is there a command for the projection in geogebra? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Ahh ok! Now I get only $\frac{5\pi}{6}$.

Now I got everything but I got stuck at the projection. Is there a command for the projection in geogebra?

Good! (Happy)

There doesn't seem to be a command for a projection, but [M](u*v)/v^2 * v[/M] works for me.
It shows up as $w=\frac{u\,v}{v^2}v$. (Thinking)

1. What is a vector in Geogebra?

A vector in Geogebra is a mathematical object that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow in the coordinate plane, with the length of the arrow representing its magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing its direction.

2. How do I add or subtract vectors in Geogebra?

To add or subtract vectors in Geogebra, you can use the built-in vector operations. Simply select the vectors you want to add or subtract, and then click on the "Sum" or "Difference" button in the toolbar. You can also use the keyboard shortcuts "Ctrl + +" or "Ctrl + -" for adding and subtracting vectors, respectively.

3. Can I find the magnitude and direction of a vector in Geogebra?

Yes, Geogebra has built-in functions for finding the magnitude and direction of a vector. To find the magnitude, use the "Magnitude" function, and to find the direction, use the "Direction" function. These functions can be accessed by clicking on the "Input" button in the toolbar and typing in the function name.

4. How do I graph vectors in Geogebra?

To graph a vector in Geogebra, you can use the "Vector" tool in the toolbar. Click on the starting point of the vector, then click on the endpoint to create the arrow. You can also specify the magnitude and direction of the vector by typing in the values in the "Input" bar.

5. Can I perform scalar multiplication on vectors in Geogebra?

Yes, Geogebra allows you to perform scalar multiplication on vectors. Simply select the vector you want to multiply, then click on the "Scalar Product" button in the toolbar. You can then enter the scalar value you want to multiply the vector by. You can also use the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl + *" for scalar multiplication.