Vector Calculus Question in Lagrangian Mechanics

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the derivation of the Euler-Lagrange equations of motion for a particle in an electromagnetic field. The author is confused about the third term in the equation and asks for clarification. Another user provides a vector identity and points out a mistake in the equation. The author realizes their mistake and thanks the other user for their help.
Travis091
Hi guys. I hope this isn't a bad place to post my question, which is:

I'm reading some lecture notes on Lagrangian mechanics, and we've just derived the Euler-Lagrange equations of motion for a particle in an electromagnetic field. It reads:

[tex] m \ddot{\vec{r}} = -\frac{e}{c} \frac{\partial \vec{A}}{\partial t}-e\nabla \phi(\vec{r})+ \frac{e}{c} \nabla (\dot{\vec{r}}\cdot \vec{A}) [/tex]

(A and phi are the vector and scalar potentials, respectively). Now the author switches to index notation, and I get lost in the process. The author gives:

[tex]
m \ddot{r}^a = - \frac{e}{c} \frac{\partial A^a}{\partial t} - e \frac{\partial \phi(\vec{r})}{\partial r^a} + \frac{e}{c} \left( \frac{\partial A^b}{\partial r^a} - \frac{\partial A^a}{\partial r^b}\right) \dot{r}^b
[/tex]

My problem is with the third term above. Is the summation over b implied? I thought that it is bad form to repeat a summation index three or more times. Also, if we are to look at the a-th component of the gradient of the inner product, it should be:

[tex]
\left(\nabla (\dot{\vec{r}}.\vec{A})\right)_a = \left(\nabla (\dot{r}_i A^i)\right)_a=\frac{\partial}{\partial r^a} \left ( \dot{r}_i A^i \right) = \dot{r_i}\frac{\partial A^i}{\partial r^a}
[/tex]

which is clearly not equal to the text. I have a feeling I'm doing something stupid, and it would be great if someone can point out my mistake(s).

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes I tried using the identity which you mention:

[tex] \nabla(\mathbf{A} \cdot \mathbf{B}) = (\mathbf{A} \cdot \nabla)\mathbf{B} + (\mathbf{B} \cdot \nabla)\mathbf{A} + \mathbf{A} \times (\nabla \times \mathbf{B}) + \mathbf{B} \times (\nabla \times \mathbf{A})[/tex]

so:
[tex] \nabla(\mathbf{\dot{r}} \cdot \mathbf{A}) = (\mathbf{\dot{r}} \cdot \nabla)\mathbf{A} + (\mathbf{A} \cdot \nabla)\mathbf{\dot{r}} + \mathbf{\dot{r}} \times (\nabla \times \mathbf{A}) + \mathbf{A} \times (\nabla \times \mathbf{\dot{r}})[/tex]

but I didn't get anywhere. I could have made a mistake while using this identity, I will try again later, but more importantly, why is my expression for the third term incorrect? That is what I would really like to understand. I want to clear out my misconception.

Travis091 said:
Hi guys. I hope this isn't a bad place to post my question, which is:

I'm reading some lecture notes on Lagrangian mechanics, and we've just derived the Euler-Lagrange equations of motion for a particle in an electromagnetic field. It reads:

[tex] m \ddot{\vec{r}} = -\frac{e}{c} \frac{\partial \vec{A}}{\partial t}-e\nabla \phi(\vec{r})+ \frac{e}{c} \nabla (\dot{\vec{r}}\cdot \vec{A}) [/tex]

Thanks.

This equation is wrong. Instead of the partial time derivative, there should be total time derivative of the vector potential. Then you can use
[tex]\frac{d \vec{ A }}{ d t } = \frac{ \partial \vec{ A } }{ \partial t } + ( \vec{ v } \cdot \vec{ \nabla } ) \vec{ A }[/tex]

Likes 1 person
That's it! Many thanks for your help. It was actually my mistake, the author skipped a step and jumped from the Lagrangian to the second equation above. I filled the missing step incorrectly, mixing up the total and partial derivatives.

1. What is the relationship between vector calculus and Lagrangian mechanics?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector fields and their derivatives. In Lagrangian mechanics, vector calculus is used to analyze the motion of particles and systems, and to derive equations of motion from a given Lagrangian function. In essence, vector calculus provides the mathematical tools necessary to describe the motion of particles in Lagrangian mechanics.

2. What is a vector field in the context of Lagrangian mechanics?

A vector field in Lagrangian mechanics is a mathematical function that assigns a vector to every point in a given space. This vector represents the velocity of a particle or system at that point in space. Vector fields are used to describe the motion of particles and systems in Lagrangian mechanics, and are typically represented by arrows in diagrams.

3. How is the Lagrangian function related to the equations of motion?

The Lagrangian function is a mathematical function that encapsulates the dynamics of a system in terms of its position, velocity, and time. In Lagrangian mechanics, the equations of motion are derived from the Lagrangian function using the Euler-Lagrange equations. These equations relate the derivatives of the Lagrangian function to the forces acting on the system, resulting in the equations of motion.

4. What is the principle of least action in Lagrangian mechanics?

The principle of least action is a fundamental principle in Lagrangian mechanics that states that the path taken by a particle or system between two points is the one that minimizes the action. The action is defined as the integral of the Lagrangian function over time, and by minimizing it, the equations of motion can be derived. This principle is also known as the principle of least potential energy.

5. How is vector calculus used to solve problems in Lagrangian mechanics?

Vector calculus is used in Lagrangian mechanics to solve problems by providing the mathematical tools necessary to describe the motion of particles and systems. It is used to analyze vector fields, calculate derivatives, and solve differential equations, all of which are essential in deriving the equations of motion and finding solutions to problems in Lagrangian mechanics.