Velocity of Light Emission: Lightspeed or More?

In summary: Thanks for the explanation!In summary, the speed of light is always constant, regardless of the speed of the source or the detector. This is why special relativity is necessary.
Tree Penguin
Is the top speed of light emitted by something the velocity of the light emitter + lightspeed or just lightspeed?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
The speed of light is always C. The speed of the emitter is irrelevant.

speed of light is source independent

Tree Penguin said:
Is the top speed of light emitted by something the velocity of the light emitter + lightspeed or just lightspeed?
The speed of the light emitter does not add to the speed of the light itself. The speed of light is a constant independent of the speed of the source or the detector.

That's why we need special relativity.

Gonzolo said:
That's why we need special relativity.
Can yuo explain that to me (i am a physics noob)?

I read about galaxies moving away from us at near lightspeed, is the lightspeed relative to the galaxy's own velocity (as if it where stuck in one place). I guess so as i understood all movement was relative. (might that be special relativity?)

Tell me and correct me if i said anything stupid. Thanks :).

Special relativity states that the speed of light in vacuum is a constant "c" to any observer. So, the "lightspeed" is relative to everyone.
You'll need to learn special relativity to understand the idea :)

kuenmao said:
Special relativity states that the speed of light in vacuum is a constant "c" to any observer.
Notice the last 3 words. The speed of light is constant, within the perception of any given observer.

Were there differences in the rate of motion through space of light emitted from various sources, the perception of any observer would be that the light moves at the same speed as all other light, due to the compensation factor of the perception of motion through time. The speed of light is constant in space-time.

I think i will have to look up general relativity. For some reason something clicked inside my brain but it's still not entirely clear to me.

Thanks!

rudeonline said:
In my opinion the speed of light shoult be seen as zero.
You are welcome to discuss your personal theories and opinions in Theory Development, but not here in the main forums. You already have a thread going on this very topic: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=31953

1. What is the velocity of light emission?

The velocity of light emission is the speed at which light travels through a vacuum. In scientific terms, it is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, or 670,616,629 miles per hour.

2. Is the speed of light constant?

Yes, the speed of light is considered to be a universal constant and is denoted by the letter "c". This means that regardless of the observer's frame of reference, the speed of light will always be measured as the same value.

3. Can light travel faster than the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel. Therefore, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.

4. How is the velocity of light emission measured?

The velocity of light emission can be measured using various methods, such as the time of flight method, where the time it takes for light to travel a known distance is measured. Another method is through the use of interferometry, which involves splitting a beam of light and recombining it to measure its speed.

5. Does the medium through which light travels affect its velocity?

Yes, the velocity of light can vary depending on the medium through which it travels. Light travels slower in materials such as water or glass, and faster in air or a vacuum. This is due to the interaction between light and the particles in the medium.