Velocity Vectors of a Boat Relative to the Shore and River

In summary, the problem involves a boat moving at 15 mi/h due east relative to the shore and water in a river moving at 4 mi/h, 45 degrees south of west. Using vector summation, the total velocity of the boat is found to be <-4 cos(45deg)+15, -4sin(45 deg)>. The speed of the boat is the magnitude of this vector and its direction is arctan( [-4 cos(45deg)+15] / [-4sin(45 deg)]) south of east. The velocity found is relative to the shore.
s3a

Homework Statement

The water in the river moves southwest (45 degrees south of west) at 4 mi/h.
If a motorboat is traveling due east at 15 mi/h relative to the shore, determine the speed of the boat and its heading relative to the moving water.

Homework Equations

Vector summation

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt:
The water making the boat move 4 mi/h, 45 degrees south of west means the the water s contribution to the boat s total velocity is v_1 = <-4 cos(45deg), -4sin(45 deg)>.
Furthermore, the boat's motor's contribution to the boat's velocity is v_2 = <15,0>.
Therefore the total velocity, by vector addition, is v = v_1 + v_2 = <-4 cos(45deg), -4sin(45 deg)> + <15,0> = <-4 cos(45deg)+15, -4sin(45 deg)+0> = <-4 cos(45deg)+15, -4sin(45 deg)>.
Then, speed is the magnitude of the velocity vector. So, ||v|| = sqrt([-4 cos(45deg)+15]^2 + [-4sin(45 deg)]^2), and its direction is arctan( [-4 cos(45deg)+15] / [-4sin(45 deg)]) south of east.

Questions about my attempt:
Is the velocity I find relative to the water or shore?

I suspect it's relative to the shore and that the velocity relative to the "moving water" is simply 15 mph i^ (i hat). Am I right? If so, could someone please let me know? If not, could someone please elaborate?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

What are velocity vectors?

Velocity vectors describe the direction and speed of an object's motion in a given frame of reference.

How are velocity vectors used to describe the motion of a boat relative to the shore and river?

In this scenario, velocity vectors can be used to represent the boat's speed and direction in relation to both the shore and the river's current.

Why is it important to consider both the shore and river when analyzing the boat's velocity vectors?

The shore and river both play a role in affecting the boat's overall motion and can impact its velocity vectors. Ignoring one or the other could lead to inaccurate conclusions about the boat's movement.

How do you calculate the velocity vectors of a boat relative to the shore and river?

To calculate the velocity vectors, you would need to know the boat's speed and direction in relation to the shore and the speed and direction of the river's current. These values can then be used to determine the boat's resultant velocity vector.

What factors can affect the velocity vectors of a boat relative to the shore and river?

The velocity vectors of a boat can be affected by variables such as wind, current, and the shape and weight of the boat itself. These factors can cause changes in the boat's speed and direction, which would impact its velocity vectors.