Verify the completion of continuous compactly supported functions

• I
  • Thread starter psie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topology
psie
TL;DR Summary
Let ##\Omega\subset\mathbb R^n##. Consider the space ##C_c(\Omega)## of continuous, compactly supported functions equipped with the ##L^p## norm. Then in my lecture notes it is claimed the completion of this space is ##L^p(\Omega)##. I'm trying to verify to myself that this is indeed the case by the definition given below.
Consider the attached definition of completion of a metric space.

iso.PNG

It has already been stated in my notes that ##L^p(\Omega)## equipped with ##\lVert\cdot\rVert_p## is a Banach space, hence complete. So (c) is satisfied. Also, there is a theorem that states that ##C_c(\Omega)## is a dense subset of ##L^p(\Omega)##. But I'm still having trouble verifying (a) and (b) in the definition. How could I construct a function between these metric spaces such that it is an isometry and its image is dense? What troubles me is that ##L^p(\Omega)## is a set of equivalence classes of functions, and hence the inclusion map ##i:C_c(\Omega)\to L^p(\Omega)## defined by ##f\mapsto f## would maybe not work.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can show by the triangle inequality that [tex]f_1 \sim f_2 \mbox{ and } g_1 \sim g_2 \quad\Rightarrow\quad \|f_1 - g_1\| \leq \|f_2 - g_2 \| \mbox{ and } \|f_2 - g_2\| \leq \|f_1 - g_1 \|[/tex] and therefore [itex]\|f_1 - g_1\| = \|f_2 - g_2\|[/itex] so that [itex]f \mapsto [f][/itex] is an isometry. (Use [tex]
\|a - b\| = \|a - c + c - d + d - b\| \leq \|a - c\| + \|c - d\| + \|d - b\|.)[/tex]

EDIT: If we don't have this result, we can't define [itex]L_p[/itex] as a space of equivalence classes; the distance between two classes would depend on which representatives we choose.

Last edited:
Likes psie
pasmith said:
You can show by the triangle inequality that [tex]f_1 \sim f_2 \mbox{ and } g_1 \sim g_2 \quad\Rightarrow\quad \|f_1 - g_1\| \leq \|f_2 - g_2 \| \mbox{ and } \|f_2 - g_2\| \leq \|f_1 - g_1 \|[/tex] and therefore [itex]\|f_1 - g_1\| = \|f_2 - g_2\|[/itex] so that [itex]f \mapsto [f][/itex] is an isometry. (Use [tex]
\|a - b\| = \|a - c + c - d + d - b\| \leq \|a - c\| + \|c - d\| + \|d - b\|.)[/tex]

EDIT: If we don't have this result, we can't define [itex]L_p[/itex] as a space of equivalence classes; the distance between two classes would depend on which representatives we choose.
This makes sense, but just to be certain. When you consider the function ##f\mapsto [f]##, by ##[f]## you mean a representative function of the equivalence class, right?

The reason I'm asking is because the definition of isometry requires that it is a function ##i:X\to Y## between two metric spaces ##X,Y## which satisfies $$d_Y(i(x_1),i(x_2))=d_X(x_1,x_2)$$ for all ##x_1,x_2\in X##. In this case, ##d_Y=d_X=\lVert\cdot\rVert_p##.

pasmith said:

I think I understand it now. We can define ##\lVert [f]\rVert_{L^p}=\lVert f\rVert_{L^p}## for some representative ##f## of ##[f]##. This is well-defined, since for any other representative ##g\in [f]##, we have ##f=g## a.e., which implies ##\lVert f\rVert_{L^p}=\lVert g\rVert_{L^p}##.

By [itex][f][/itex] I mean the equivalence class of [itex]f[/itex].

In this case the isometry is obvious, since the distance between two equivalence classes does not depend on which representatives of each class one uses to measure it; it is by definition the case that [itex]\|[f] - [g]\|_p = \|f - g\|_p[/itex].