Verifying Proof: lim [x→0] f(x)g(x) Does Not Exist

• Thread starter Buri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the given conversation discusses a proof that shows if lim [x→0] |f(x)| = ∞ and lim [x→0] g(x) does not exist, then lim [x→0] f(x)g(x) also does not exist. The proof uses the definitions of these limits and utilizes a direct proof, concluding that the limit does not exist using certain inequalities. However, there may be some holes in the proof that need to be addressed.
Buri
Is this proof correct?

Prove that if lim [x→0] |f(x)| = ∞ and lim [x→0] g(x) does not exist, then lim [x→0] f(x)g(x) also does not exist.

Proof:

(1) lim [x→0] |f(x)| = ∞ means that ∀N > 0 ∃δ > 0 such that if 0 < |x| < δ ⇒ |f(x)| > N

And

(2) lim [x→0] g(x) does not exist means that ∃ε > 0 such that ∀δ > 0 if 0 < |x| < δ ⇒ |g(x) - M| > ε.

So this will be a direct proof in which I'll show that ∃ε > 0 such that ∀δ > 0, if 0 < |x| < δ ⇒ |f(x)g(x) - L| > ε.

So if 0 < |x| < δ ⇒ |f(x)g(x) - L| = |f(x)||g(x) - L/f(x)| > N|g(x) - L/f(x)| > Nε > ε

Hence, the limit doesn't exist.

I'm using (1) when I divide by f(x) as it guarantees that f(x) > N > 0 on (-δ,δ) and I'm using (2) to get the last inequality as using the ε from (2) guarantees that |g(x) - L/f(x)| isn't small.

I'd appreciate if someone could look this over.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Buri said:
Is this proof correct?

Prove that if lim [x→0] |f(x)| = ∞ and lim [x→0] g(x) does not exist, then lim [x→0] f(x)g(x) also does not exist.

Proof:

(1) lim [x→0] |f(x)| = ∞ means that ∀N > 0 ∃δ > 0 such that if 0 < |x| < δ ⇒ |f(x)| > N

And

(2) lim [x→0] g(x) does not exist means that ∃ε > 0 such that ∀δ > 0 if 0 < |x| < δ ⇒ |g(x) - M| > ε.
This looks like what it means for lim [x→0] g(x) ≠ M. You need to generalize M to make this statement say that the limit does not exist no matter what M is.
Also you just need |g(x) - M| > ε for some x such that 0 < |x| < δ .

Buri said:
So this will be a direct proof in which I'll show that ∃ε > 0 such that ∀δ > 0, if 0 < |x| < δ ⇒ |f(x)g(x) - L| > ε.

So if 0 < |x| < δ ⇒ |f(x)g(x) - L| = |f(x)||g(x) - L/f(x)| > N|g(x) - L/f(x)| > Nε > ε

I'm using (1) when I divide by f(x) as it guarantees that f(x) > N > 0 on (-δ,δ) and I'm using (2) to get the last inequality as using the ε from (2) guarantees that |g(x) - L/f(x)| isn't small.

Thanks!

Thanks for those points. For your first remark I am technically using the fact that it isn't for any M, as I concluded it didn't also exist for L/f(x). I guess I should have been explicit about it. And about the 'some x', yeah that's true. It seems like it doesn't actually mess up the proof now does it? Seems like it still works with these changes?

Anyone?

i think it is correct 100%

Buri said:
Is this proof correct?

Proof:

And

Thanks!

It doesn't look all that convincing to me. Take some specific example and see if there are any holes in your assertions.

I think you need to have an N and a δ1 from (1) and an ε and a δ2 and perhaps M from (2). Relate M & L. Then define δ = min( δ1, δ2). You also need to be sure that you choose an x from (-δ,0)U(0,δ) such that |g(x) - L/f(x)| > ε .

With your present proof, it looks as if for some values of L and x that f(x)g(x)=L, so that |f(x)g(x)-L|=0 .

Last edited:

1. What does it mean for a limit to not exist?

When we say that a limit does not exist, it means that the function's output does not approach a single finite value as the input approaches a specific value. This could be due to a variety of reasons, such as a vertical asymptote, a jump discontinuity, or oscillating behavior.

2. How can we determine if the limit of a function does not exist?

To determine if the limit of a function does not exist, we can use a variety of methods such as graphing the function, analyzing the behavior of the function as it approaches the specific value, or using algebraic techniques such as the squeeze theorem or the definition of a limit.

3. What is the importance of verifying the non-existence of a limit?

Verifying the non-existence of a limit is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function and identify any potential issues or irregularities. It also allows us to accurately describe the behavior of the function and make predictions about its behavior at specific values.

4. What are some common reasons for a limit to not exist?

Some common reasons for a limit to not exist include vertical asymptotes, jump discontinuities, and oscillating behavior. Other reasons could include undefined or infinite values in the function or an undefined form such as 0/0 or ∞/∞.

5. How can we prove that a limit does not exist?

To prove that a limit does not exist, we can use various techniques such as the definition of a limit, the squeeze theorem, or evaluating the left and right-hand limits at the specific value. We can also use graphical representations or algebraic manipulations to show that the limit does not approach a single finite value.