Viable Railgun Setup? (ping pong balls)

In summary, the author is working on a personal project that requires a very precise, but not very powerful, ping pong ball launcher. He has considered possible causes for inaccuracy, like the track being 3D-printed (resulting in a "step-like" sloped surface), and the unpredictability of how the fast-spinning wheel grips the initially slow-moving ball when they come into contact. He plans to remake a prototype with a copper-wire track and a wheel-launcher setup.
WorldWiz
Hello,

I'm working on a personal project that requires a very precise, but not very powerful, ping pong ball launcher. Would it be possible to coat a ball in metallic conductive paint, and then fire it from two rails like a railgun? Would I still get a constant net force in the correct direction if the electric current is running all across the surface of the ball? Thanks for your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I guess it is possible, but variable conductivity across the surface and a variable contact to the rails could be an issue for the precision. In addition, railguns need very high currents, that leads to other issues.
A while ago, I made a mechanical system with an electromagnet and a spring. Worked quite well with a very improvised setup.

It is not viable for the required current density in the ball film, with sufficient metal it stops being a film or even a ping pong ball.

mfb said:
I guess it is possible, but variable conductivity across the surface and a variable contact to the rails could be an issue for the precision. In addition, railguns need very high currents, that leads to other issues.
A while ago, I made a mechanical system with an electromagnet and a spring. Worked quite well with a very improvised setup.
I see. Thanks for the explanation. And thank you for the suggestion, but my project is a bit tricky, as I need to create a fast and fluid controlled cycle of feeding consecutive balls down and then launching them up and back to the starting point (into a bowl-like reservoir). I'd initially tested out a motorized wheel launcher with a servo feeder, but that launch mechanism turned out not to be precise enough.

What aspect of your current design is insufficiently accurate? Is it the loading? Power? Direction?

streety said:
What aspect of your current design is insufficiently accurate? Is it the loading? Power? Direction?
I think it's a combination of all of them, because my objective is to have the ball consistently land on the same point (plus/minus a few millimeters) after each launch, which did not even come close. I've considered some possible causes, like the track being 3D-printed (resulting in a "step-like" sloped surface), and maybe also the unpredictability of how the fast-spinning wheel grips the initially slow-moving ball when they come into contact. So I'm thinking about remaking a prototype with a copper-wire track, and I'm going to experiment some more with the wheel-launcher setup.

By the way, I know my descriptions only give a vague idea of my project, so this video starting at the 1:00 timepoint should make everything clear (those of you familiar with Animusic will recognize it). My goal is to recreate a real-life version of this CGI xylophone fountain:

Are you aiming to hit multiple targets as shown in the video (the xylophone bars) or your simpler written description of launching a ping pong ball from a fixed launcher to a fixed target every time?

If you have a photo or a diagram of what you currently have that would be also be useful. If you don't have one already a barrel may improve the accuracy.

streety said:
Are you aiming to hit multiple targets as shown in the video (the xylophone bars) or your simpler written description of launching a ping pong ball from a fixed launcher to a fixed target every time?

If you have a photo or a diagram of what you currently have that would be also be useful. If you don't have one already a barrel may improve the accuracy.
My plan is to have a set of parts (balls, launcher, feeder, etc.) for each separate note, and ultimately coordinate all the ball feeders with an arduino. That way I don't have to worry about the timing involved in a moving ball launcher like the one used in Intel's model of the xylophone fountain. So my first step is to create a working prototype for a single xylophone bar, and afterward just replicate the same system for each note of the whole instrument.

And I opted for just a pair of rails instead of a barrel because I think with a barrel I would need to find an impossibly perfect diameter that will not be narrow enough to slow the ball with friction and yet also will also not be wide enough to allow small random bouncing to reduce the precision/consistency of the trajectory.

Having separate launchers definitely simplifies the aiming.

Is there not a risk that the ping pong ball would bounce against the rails as well? If anything it may be a bigger issue as the ball can travel further from the two rails. The barrel doesn't need to be anything special - a rolled up sheet of paper may work.

How does your wheel connect with the ball?

streety said:
Having separate launchers definitely simplifies the aiming.

Is there not a risk that the ping pong ball would bounce against the rails as well? If anything it may be a bigger issue as the ball can travel further from the two rails. The barrel doesn't need to be anything special - a rolled up sheet of paper may work.

How does your wheel connect with the ball?
Having the ball bouncing against the rails hasn't been a problem, because I accelerate the ball at the bottom of the slope just before it reaches the curved rails (imagine a capital letter "J" tilted ~60 degrees clockwise; the ball rolls down the straight part, and then gets accelerated forward right before reaching the curved part), so I believe the momentum of the ball keeps it pressed against the rails up until the moment it flies into the air.

In my 3D-printed model, I have the wheel positioned in the air above the bottom of the incline and constantly spinning. So as the ball rolls down the incline, when it comes into contact with the wheel, the ball gets accelerated forward up the curved rails and into the air, upwards and slightly backwards (since the xylophone bar is positions directly above the incline).

Sounds like a decent approach.

Not sure what to suggest for further modifications. Perhaps video the device in operation and track the ball to see where the inaccuracies start appearing?

1. What is a viable railgun setup?

A viable railgun setup is a configuration of a railgun that is capable of launching ping pong balls at high speeds with consistent accuracy and precision. It includes a power source, rails, capacitors, and a projectile.

2. How does a railgun work?

A railgun uses electromagnetic forces to accelerate a projectile along a pair of conductive rails. It works by sending a large electric current through the rails, creating a powerful magnetic field that pushes the projectile forward.

3. What materials are needed to build a viable railgun setup for ping pong balls?

A viable railgun setup for ping pong balls typically requires strong conductive rails made of copper or aluminum, a high-capacity capacitor bank, a power source such as batteries or a transformer, and a projectile guide or muzzle to ensure accuracy.

4. What is the maximum speed that can be achieved with a viable railgun setup for ping pong balls?

The maximum speed that can be achieved with a viable railgun setup for ping pong balls depends on several factors, including the materials used, power source, and setup design. However, speeds up to 100 meters per second (328 feet per second) have been achieved in some experimental setups.

5. Are there any safety precautions that need to be taken when using a railgun for ping pong balls?

Yes, it is important to take proper safety precautions when using a railgun for ping pong balls. This includes wearing protective gear, working in a controlled environment, and following all safety guidelines for the materials and equipment used. It is also crucial to properly discharge the capacitor bank after each use to avoid potential electric shock.