View Thanks Given & Received by Other Users

• Thread starter Jolb
  • Start date
In summary: Well, thanks are rewarded with an MT medal after they reach a certain undisclosed number. I think that's incentive enough for some to try...I think it's a great idea to make thanks private to discourage abuse, but I don't think it's necessary to hide them if members want to see them. I think it would be better to just have a "thanks" button on the member's profile that pops up when you click on their name.I think it's a great idea to make thanks private to discourage abuse, but I don't think it's necessary to hide them if members want to see them. I think it would be better to just have a "thanks" button on the member's profile that pops up when
Jolb
How about we make it so that users can see the "Thanks" other users received? They don't seem to be visible on other users' Member Profiles. Could it be made such that you can view them on someone else's member profile just like on one's own user page? We could possibly also add it as a sort of "reputation rating" next to the user names a la eBay.

Any thoughts?

PS: Sorry if this has been posted before but searching for "Thanks" doesn't really lead anywhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
The last thing we want is a public "rating" which would be meaningless since it so easily abused. We have Science Advisor and Homework Helper badges that distinguish members that have been recognized for a history of accurate, helpful posts.

The "Thanks" were made private so that there would not be tension and competition between members, also to discourage abuse.

See here https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=692611&page=4 (This thread is just a few links down the page from yours.)

Last edited:
Evo said:
The "Thanks" were made private so that there would not be tension and competition between members, also to discourage abuse.
That and it gives the receiver feedback as to how they are doing with giving good advice.

Evo said:
The last thing we want is a public "rating" which would be meaningless since it so easily abused. We have Science Advisor and Homework Helper badges that distinguish members that have been recognized for a history of accurate, helpful posts.

See here https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=692611&page=4 (This thread is just a few links down the page from yours.)

It doesn't seem like that thread really contains any discussion as to whether or not they should be made private. Seems like the participants in that thread immediately decided to make it private as soon as they noticed it wasn't private.

Anyway, I can see why a "rating" system could be detrimental, but what's the harm in seeing others' thanks through their profile? Will people compete over who has the most thanks if they're just as well tucked away as "Educational Background", etc?

Evo said:

EXCELLENT decision.

Likes 1 person
Jolb said:
It doesn't seem like that thread really contains any discussion as to whether or not they should be made private. Seems like the participants in that thread immediately decided to make it private as soon as they noticed it wasn't private.
The thanks were never meant to be publicly viewable and when they were accidently public, members immediately complained.

Anyway, I can see why a "rating" system could be detrimental, but what's the harm in seeing others' thanks through their profile? Will people compete over who has the most thanks if they're just as well tucked away as "Educational Background", etc?
As soon as the "Thanks" button was activated, people started abusing it. Things such as "likes" and member ratings have been shot down repeatedly. As I mentioned, we have SA and HH recognition for members with a history of good posts in the science and homework sections, some members don't even want that recognition and have turned down awards, and each year we have a special "guru" award that is voted on by the members. If you wish to publicly thank someone, you may do so in a thread they posted in or in their visitor messages, but some members prefer that you not post to their visitor messages, to be safe, just post a thanks in response to one of their posts, that seems to be the most popular.

Last edited:
Evo said:
As soon as the "Thanks" button was activated, people started abusing it.

I remember seeing a member (thankfully not a HH or SA) post encouraging someone else to thank him for his help. It may even have been embedded in his signature. I consider soliciting "thanks" either openly or even via PM, to be in very poor form. I don't know if you agree, Evo, but if you do, maybe something should be mentioned in the site rules discouraging this (if it's not already there).

Curious3141 said:
I remember seeing a member (thankfully not a HH or SA) post encouraging someone else to thank him for his help. It may even have been embedded in his signature. I consider soliciting "thanks" either openly or even via PM, to be in very poor form. I don't know if you agree, Evo, but if you do, maybe something should be mentioned in the site rules discouraging this (if it's not already there).
Luckily, "thanks" are not public, solicited thanks do not have any impact.

mfb said:
Luckily, "thanks" are not public, solicited thanks do not have any impact.

Well, thanks are rewarded with an MT medal after they reach a certain undisclosed number. I think that's incentive enough for some to try to pressure others into thanking them, which is why I feel there should be something done to discourage this sort of thing.

On another board I'm on, there's a "Rep" feature, and members progress to higher "statuses" if they get enough reputation points. But people are strictly forbidden (under penalty of infraction) from soliciting others to give them a positive rep. It must come voluntarily and unbidden.

Ah, I forgot that MT thing. Hmm...

Curious3141 said:
Well, thanks are rewarded with an MT medal after they reach a certain undisclosed number. I think that's incentive enough for some to try to pressure others into thanking them, which is why I feel there should be something done to discourage this sort of thing.

Feel free to report it. I'm not too worried from what I've seen.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Feel free to report it. I'm not too worried from what I've seen.

Thanks. I'll report it should I see it again.

Curious3141 said:

On another board I'm on, there's a "Rep" feature, and members progress to higher "statuses" if they get enough reputation points. But people are strictly forbidden (under penalty of infraction) from soliciting others to give them a positive rep. It must come voluntarily and unbidden.

The MT medal is synonymous for WbN.

micromass said:
The MT medal is synonymous for WbN.

Maybe WN really stands for Wayne Newton. And he gets a thanks for everytime he sings the "Thank you" song (Danke Schoen). :biggrin:

Lame, I know, but it's the best I could do in the morning. :redface:

Curious3141 said:

Here is a case of a member who is both a HH and a SA asking to thank him.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4453010&postcount=6

Vibhor (and everyone else) please use the report button to highlight rule violations. It is the most effective way to get moderator attention.

Curious3141 said:
Maybe WN really stands for Wayne Newton. And he gets a thanks for everytime he sings the "Thank you" song (Danke Schoen). :biggrin:

Lame, I know, but it's the best I could do in the morning. :redface:

Merci, Curious :biggrin:!

Related to View Thanks Given & Received by Other Users

1. What is the purpose of "View Thanks Given & Received by Other Users?"

The "View Thanks Given & Received by Other Users" feature allows users to view the number of thanks they have given and received from other users on a specific platform. It helps to track and acknowledge the contributions and support of other users.

2. How can I access "View Thanks Given & Received by Other Users"?

The "View Thanks Given & Received by Other Users" feature is usually found on a user's profile page or in the settings section of a platform. It may also be accessed through a link provided in a thank you message from another user.

3. Can I see who has given me thanks and who I have given thanks to?

Yes, the "View Thanks Given & Received by Other Users" feature typically displays the usernames or profiles of both parties involved in the exchange of thanks. However, some platforms may only display the total number of thanks given and received.

4. Is there a limit to the number of thanks I can view?

The number of thanks that can be viewed through this feature may vary depending on the platform. Some platforms may only display a certain number of thanks, while others may allow users to view all thanks given and received.

5. How can I use the information from "View Thanks Given & Received by Other Users"?

The information from this feature can be used to show appreciation and recognition for the support and contributions of other users. It can also be used to track one's own activity and engagement on a platform.