Violation of Determinism in Newtonian Mechanics by J Norton

In summary: It's interesting that a lot of paradoxes are resolved by making the conditions more realistic. As if nature abhors a paradox
zwierz
http://www.pitt.edu/~jdnorton/Goodies/Dome/

I think that most wonderful point in this story is that the person who writes such texts is Distinguished Professor of University of Pittsburgh.

Nevertheless I believe that the question he stated up can confuse an undergraduate student and thus deserves to be discussed at classes.

Any opinions?

Science news on Phys.org
The link is broken.
I guess this is about the shape where the object can roll down, but doesn't have to, and the time-reversed system behaves differently?

mfb said:
The link is broken.
strange, I opened it moment ago

Now it works for me as well.
Yeah, that's the system I had in mind. A nice setup to discuss, as it has a surprising result.Quantum mechanics doesn't have that problem.

I do not see any problems. First of all you can not place a particle exactly at the top of the dome with exactly zero velocity. So that an effect the article is devoted to is not observable.
On the other hand, everybody knows that there are physical systems and there are mathematical models of those systems. Mathematical models can be correct and can be incorrect. In the last case one should throw off incorrect model and construct a correct one. For example if we take in respect a dry friction between the dome and the particle then all these Mr. Norton's "spontaneous motions" disappear. Moreover, ##r^{3/2}## is also just a mathematical approximation of the real dome. We can approximate the dome by a polynomial , this also removes the "spontaneous motions"

Last edited:
Well, it is obvious that real-life systems won't be perfect, but this is a study of Newtonian mechanics and the theoretical implications of the theory, not its real-life approximations.

mfb said:
Well, it is obvious that real-life systems won't be perfect, but this is a study of Newtonian mechanics and the theoretical implications of the theory, not its real-life approximations.
If that is not about real-life systems then why do we refer to the dome and the particle? Let's just write down any second order equation and say that it is Newton's second law. From pure mathematical viewpoint non-uniqueness in non-Lipschitz ODE is completely trivial effect.

zwierz said:
I do not see any problems. First of all you can not place a particle exactly at the top of the dome with exactly zero velocity. So that an effect the article is devoted to is not observable.

Ah! So if you assume a distribution of values for the initial velocity and initial position, instead of both being exactly zero, then you would find that for almost all initial conditions, the particle will slide down the hill. So the nondeterminism is a weirdness that only applies to a set of measure zero.

Mathematical models can be correct and can be incorrect. In the last case one should throw off incorrect model and construct a correct one. For example if we take in respect a dry friction between the dome and the particle then all these Mr. Norton's "spontaneous motions" disappear. Moreover, r3/2" role="presentation">r3/2 is also just a mathematical approximation of the real dome. We can approximate the dome by a polynomial , this also removes the "spontaneous motions"

Yeah, it's interesting that a lot of paradoxes are resolved by making the conditions more realistic. As if nature abhors a paradox.

stevendaryl said:
Yeah, it's interesting that a lot of paradoxes are resolved by making the conditions more realistic.
not only paradoxes. For example the famous Navier-Stokes Eq. problem http://www.claymath.org/sites/default/files/navierstokes.pdf turns into a simple one if we decline the condition of incompressibility and consider a model that takes in respect thermodynamics

1. What is the concept of determinism in Newtonian Mechanics?

Determinism in Newtonian Mechanics refers to the belief that all physical phenomena are determined by a set of initial conditions and the laws of motion. This means that if we know the starting conditions of a system and the laws that govern its behavior, we can accurately predict its future state.

2. How does J Norton's work challenge determinism in Newtonian Mechanics?

J Norton's work challenges determinism in Newtonian Mechanics by arguing that the initial conditions of a system are not always known with absolute certainty, and therefore our predictions of its future state may not be completely accurate. He also suggests that the laws of motion themselves may be subject to change and uncertainty.

3. What evidence does J Norton present to support his argument?

J Norton presents several case studies, such as the motion of a simple pendulum and the chaotic behavior of the three-body problem, to demonstrate the limitations of determinism in Newtonian Mechanics. He also discusses the concept of measurement error and the role it plays in our understanding of physical systems.

4. Does this mean that Newtonian Mechanics is no longer a valid theory?

No, J Norton's work does not invalidate Newtonian Mechanics as a whole. It simply highlights the limitations and complexities of the theory and suggests that a more nuanced approach may be necessary to fully understand and predict the behavior of physical systems.

5. How has J Norton's work impacted the scientific community?

J Norton's work has sparked much debate and discussion among scientists and philosophers about the nature of determinism and its role in our understanding of the physical world. It has also influenced the development of new theories, such as chaos theory, which aim to better explain and predict complex systems that cannot be fully understood through the lens of determinism in Newtonian Mechanics.