Is Visible Light Bremsstrahlung Observable in Transparent Mediums?

In summary, it is possible to observe visible light bremsstrahlung when an electron beam stops in a transparent medium. The theoretical form of a bremsstrahlung spectrum is flat at low photon energies, allowing for the emission of visible photons with a high energy electron beam. However, it may be difficult to observe a continuous spectrum in the visible region due to low efficiency. It is also worth noting that Cerenkov radiation can also occur in the visible spectrum and has been observed in various experiments.
nightvidcole
Summary: Can one observe visible light bremsstrahlung when an electron beam stops in a transparent medium?

The theoretical form of a bremsstrahlung spectrum is flat at low photon energies. This means that even a high energy electron beam incident on matter should cause the emission of visible photons, albeit with extremely low efficiency. So why is it so hard to observe a continuous spectrum ( and not just line emission) in the visible region from cathode rays in a low pressure gas or a vacuum tube with residual gas?

Science news on Phys.org
nightvidcole said:
Summary: Can one observe visible light bremsstrahlung when an electron beam stops in a transparent medium?

flat at low photon energies.
I think that 'low photon energies' means low for X Rays. I was trying to think of how electrons of, say 3eV energy, could be passed through a dense transparent medium and produce visible photons (of that sort of energy). I thought that, to produce bremsstrahlung, you needed an electron beam to penetrate the substance.

Yes, you can see it, but I won't recommend looking at it

Henryk said:
Yes, you can see it, but I won't recommend looking at it
That would all depend on the energy of the beam. A few eV is enough KE if you can actually get it to penetrate a suitable substance to produce optical frequencies.

nightvidcole said:

The theoretical form of a bremsstrahlung spectrum is flat at low photon energies. This means that even a high energy electron beam incident on matter should cause the emission of visible photons, albeit with extremely low efficiency. So why is it so hard to observe a continuous spectrum ( and not just line emission) in the visible region from cathode rays in a low pressure gas or a vacuum tube with residual gas?

The blue'ish glow that one sees in a water pool of a nuclear reactor is such Cerenkov radiation.

I've also done measurement on the Cerenkov radiation given off when 40 MeV electron bunches slam into a piece of Aerogel to measure the longitudinal bunch length of those electron bunches. Again, that's in the visible range.

There's nothing in the physics that indicates that a Cerenkov radiation can't be in the visible spectrum.

Zz,

Likes sophiecentaur
sophiecentaur said:
That would all depend on the energy of the beam
No, I've seen it, I accidently looked into the x-ray source when it wasn't blocked. It does glow.

Henryk said:
No, I've seen it, I accidently looked into the x-ray source when it wasn't blocked. It does glow.
I was questioning the idea that it would have to be risky (as in your case). I was suggesting that bremsstrahlung could be generated (safely) with a low energy beam in the 'appropriate' transparent medium.

What is visible light bremsstrahlung?

Visible light bremsstrahlung is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is produced when charged particles are accelerated or decelerated. It falls within the visible light spectrum, which is the range of wavelengths that are visible to the human eye.

How is visible light bremsstrahlung produced?

Visible light bremsstrahlung is produced when charged particles, such as electrons, are accelerated or decelerated. This can happen in a variety of situations, such as when electrons are deflected by a magnetic field or when they collide with a material.

What is the difference between visible light bremsstrahlung and other types of bremsstrahlung?

Visible light bremsstrahlung is a specific type of bremsstrahlung that falls within the visible light spectrum. Other types of bremsstrahlung can produce radiation in different parts of the electromagnetic spectrum, such as X-rays or gamma rays.

What are some practical applications of visible light bremsstrahlung?

Visible light bremsstrahlung has a variety of practical applications, such as in medical imaging, where it is used to produce X-rays for diagnostic purposes. It is also used in particle accelerators to produce high-energy particles for research purposes.

Is visible light bremsstrahlung harmful?

Visible light bremsstrahlung is generally not harmful to humans, as it falls within the visible light spectrum and does not have enough energy to cause significant damage. However, high-energy bremsstrahlung, such as X-rays and gamma rays, can be harmful and should be used with caution.