Volume of Gasses Obtained by Electrolysis of Salt Solution

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the volume of gases produced by electrolysis of an aqueous solution of NaNO3 with a change in mass fraction from 40% to 60%. The pressure and temperature are given, but more information is needed to solve the problem. The textbook answer given is V(O2) + V(H2) = 169.2 dm3.
CroSinus
Please post this type of questions in HW section using the template and showing your work.
Hello everybody!How can I calculate the volume of gasses produced by electrolysis of an aqueous solution of NaNO3 if the mass fraction of the salt changed from 40% to 60% (before electrolysis the mass fraction of the salt was 40% and after electrolysis it changed to 60%)? Pressure and temperature are 20 ºC and 99,8 kPa.Can you help me with my problem, please!

CroSinus

Physics news on Phys.org
Not enough information to solve the problem - you need to know what was the initial amount of the solution.

You can at best give the answer in terms of "volume of gas produced per kg of electrolyzed mixture".

Try to assume you started with 1 kg of mixture - does it help?

Thank you very much Borek for trying to help me.
The answer from my textbook says: V(O2) + V(H2) = 169,2 dm3

As I said - no way of getting this answer from the information you gave in this thread.

What is the purpose of obtaining the volume of gasses through electrolysis of salt solution?

The purpose of obtaining the volume of gasses through electrolysis of salt solution is to determine the amount of gas produced during the electrolysis process. This information can then be used to calculate the efficiency of the electrolysis reaction and to determine the composition of the gas produced.

How is the volume of gasses obtained by electrolysis of salt solution measured?

The volume of gasses obtained by electrolysis of salt solution is typically measured using a gas syringe or a graduated cylinder. The gas syringe allows for accurate measurement of the gas volume, while the graduated cylinder is used for larger volumes of gas.

What factors can affect the volume of gasses obtained by electrolysis of salt solution?

The volume of gasses obtained by electrolysis of salt solution can be affected by several factors, including the concentration of the salt solution, the type of electrodes used, the voltage and current applied, and the duration of the electrolysis reaction. These factors can all impact the rate of gas production and the efficiency of the reaction.

Why is it important to use a salt solution for electrolysis instead of just water?

A salt solution is used for electrolysis because it helps to conduct electricity and allows for the production of more gas. Pure water does not conduct electricity well, so using a salt solution helps to increase the rate of the electrolysis reaction. Additionally, the salt ions in the solution can react with the water molecules to produce more gas.

What safety precautions should be taken when obtaining the volume of gasses through electrolysis of salt solution?

When obtaining the volume of gasses through electrolysis of salt solution, it is important to use proper safety precautions. This includes wearing protective eyewear and gloves, as well as working in a well-ventilated area. The electrolysis apparatus should also be set up and operated according to safety guidelines to prevent any accidents.