Volume of tetrahedron with 5 vertices

In summary, there are two ways to calculate the volume of a tetrahedron using 5 vertices. One way is to consider it as a pentahedron, such as a pyramid, with one point as the common surface and calculate the volumes of two tetrahedrons separately before adding them together. The other way is to treat it as an irregular pyramid, where the base is an irregular polygon and the faces are not equally sized. The formula for calculating the volume of an irregular pyramid is still being searched for.
Ravindraji4
I already found how to calculate the volume of tetrahedron from 4 vertices, i.e. V = 1/6(dot(d1,D), where D = cross(d2,d3).
Could somebody specify the formula or an article for volume of tetrahedron using 5 vertices, A = (x1, y1, z1), B = (x2, y2, z2), C = (x3, y3, z3), D = (x4, y4, z4) and O = (x0,y0,z0) .
Thank you very much in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

A tetrahedron has exactly four vertices, when you add another you get a pentahedron. One such example is the pyramid.

Another is when you put two tetrahedrons together at the common surface,

Likes Ravindraji4
Thank you Jedishrfu!
I checked for volume of pyramid, but could not find the ways to Calculate the Volume of "irregular pyramid".
as, the base of an irregular pyramid is an irregular polygon, and as a result, its faces are not equally sized. any ideas regarding that?

Or in case 2 as you mentioned, should I consider one point as common surface and calculate two separate volumes of two tetrahedron and add them?

In the common surface example, yes, I think you'd calculate the volume for each one and then add them to get the volume of that particular pentahedron.

Likes Ravindraji4
Thanks!
it works, in case the fourth point is lying on the same line connecting two points. for example, mid point of the line connecting two points.
In case the point is lying outside, then it becomes the irregular pyramid.

Still searching the formula for Volume of the irregular pyramid.

What is the formula for calculating the volume of a tetrahedron with 5 vertices?

The formula for calculating the volume of a tetrahedron with 5 vertices is V = (1/3) * A * h, where A is the area of the base of the tetrahedron and h is the height of the tetrahedron.

How do I find the height of a tetrahedron with 5 vertices?

To find the height of a tetrahedron with 5 vertices, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. First, find the length of one of the edges of the tetrahedron. Then, use this length and the length of the edge connecting the opposite vertex to the base to calculate the height using the formula h = √(a^2 - (1/4)b^2), where a is the length of the edge and b is the length of the edge connecting the opposite vertex to the base.

Can the volume of a tetrahedron with 5 vertices be negative?

No, the volume of any solid object cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of the amount of space occupied by an object, and it is always a positive value.

What units should I use for the volume of a tetrahedron with 5 vertices?

The units used for volume can vary, but they should always be consistent with the units used for the length of the edges and height of the tetrahedron. For example, if the length of the edges are measured in centimeters, then the volume should be measured in cubic centimeters (cm^3).

Is there a difference between the volume of a regular tetrahedron and an irregular tetrahedron with 5 vertices?

Yes, there is a difference between the volume of a regular tetrahedron and an irregular tetrahedron with 5 vertices. A regular tetrahedron has all equal edge lengths and angles, while an irregular tetrahedron does not. Therefore, the formula for calculating the volume may differ depending on the shape of the tetrahedron.