VTOL RC Airplane Tricopter COG, Liftoff Weight Calculations

In summary, the minimum wingspan/wing shape/wing area to carry a payload of approximately 1.2kg for a RC plane is between 1.2m-1.35m. You need a book on the subject to calculate the placement of the two motors in the front relative to the rear motor for yaw. The ideal motor size and kv based on the above calculations must be chosen based on the weight and flight time/distance/efficiency goals.
socalaerospace
Hello,

I am interested in making an RC plane as illustrated. Some questions:

1. Given that the build material of the plane will be 3d printed out of PLA and I want the wingspan to be between 1.2m - 1.35m ideally. How can I calculate the minimum wingspan/wing shape/wing area to carry a payload of approximately 1.2kg?

I would estimate that the body of the aircraft will weigh about 800g - 1kg including motors and tilt rotor mechanisms.

2. How can I calculate the placement of the two motors in the front relative to the rear motor for yaw? It has to be for hover mode, and forward flight. (ie: distance between front two motors, distance between front two motors and rear motor based on center of gravity)

3. How can I calculate the ideal motor kv and size based on the above? Then once I choose the right motor, how can I calculate the flight time/distance/efficiency based on 12,000Mah?The purpose of the aircraft is for FPV, long range, and VTOL with a stable hover mode.

Attachments

• p4001228BC123 (1).jpg
    p4001228BC123 (1).jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 137
Physics news on Phys.org
Your questions are too broad to answer here. You need a book on the subject.

I have a first edition copy of Aerodynamics, Aeronautics, and Flight Mechanics by McCormick. It has good coverage of conventional fixed wing aircraft. The second edition is available from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/8126523786/?tag=pfamazon01-20. The cover photo shows a tilt rotor aircraft. That book might meet your needs because it covers lift, drag, thrust, propellers, performance, and stability around all three axes. Searching aerodynamics on Amazon will find other books on the subject.

I bought this book back when I had the idea of designing and building my own airplane. I read the book and decided to do something else.

• Informative
Likes Klystron and berkeman
Welcome!
I recommend these books:
Model Aircraft Aerodynamics by Martin Simons

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1854862707/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Basics of RC Model Aircraft Design by Andy Lennon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0911295402/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Learning to safely fly a rc aircraft takes some time.
Designing and building a model that can properly fly is not too difficult, unless you have zero experience doing it.
The tilting is the difficult part.

It takes a great deal of digital controls to make it work in full scale airplanes.
The machine must smoothly transition within a range which extremes are flying hanging on the blades (like a helicopter or drone) and flying hanging on the wings (like a glider or regular airplane), all while keeping a perfect balance.

You could also consult expert modelers in these sites:

https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/index.php

Then, there are new regulations from the FAA for legally flying rc models in USA.

• Informative
Likes Klystron, berkeman, jrmichler and 1 other person

1. How do I calculate the center of gravity (COG) for my VTOL RC airplane tricopter?

The COG for a VTOL RC airplane tricopter can be calculated by finding the average of the three individual COGs for each of the three rotors. This can be done by balancing the tricopter on a pivot point and measuring the distance from the pivot to the center of each rotor. The average of these three distances will give you the COG for your tricopter.

2. Why is it important to calculate the COG for my VTOL RC airplane tricopter?

The COG is a crucial factor in the stability and control of your tricopter. If the COG is too far forward, the tricopter will be nose-heavy and may have difficulty lifting off. If the COG is too far back, the tricopter may be tail-heavy and have a tendency to flip over. By calculating the COG, you can ensure that your tricopter is balanced and will fly smoothly.

3. How do I determine the liftoff weight for my VTOL RC airplane tricopter?

The liftoff weight for a VTOL RC airplane tricopter can be calculated by adding the weight of the tricopter itself, plus the weight of any additional equipment such as batteries, cameras, or payload. It is important to keep the liftoff weight within the recommended limits for your tricopter to ensure optimal performance.

4. What factors should I consider when calculating the COG and liftoff weight for my VTOL RC airplane tricopter?

When calculating the COG and liftoff weight for your tricopter, you should consider the weight distribution of the individual components, the size and shape of the tricopter, and the intended use of the tricopter (e.g. for photography or racing). It is also important to refer to the manufacturer's guidelines and specifications for your specific tricopter model.

5. Can I make adjustments to the COG and liftoff weight of my VTOL RC airplane tricopter?

Yes, you can make adjustments to the COG and liftoff weight of your tricopter by redistributing the weight of the components or adding/removing equipment. However, it is important to do so carefully and within the recommended limits to maintain the stability and performance of your tricopter.