Want to find out the mass movement capability of my motor

In summary, a worm-geared motor with a limited output can only lift 10kg, and you'll need to find something else to use as a benchmark.
SOA
am not sure if i am asking it right, it appears to be very easy, but am un able to solve it...
any help is highly appreciated..:)

Ques: ihave a motor wuth these specs

torque = 5 Nm
no of revolution = 90 rpm
radius of wheel mounted on motor shaft = 0.05 m

i need to calculate the mass which this motor can drive?

Physics news on Phys.org
A constant torque of 5N turns the wheel at a constant 90rpm means there is friction in the system balancing it out. No net torque.
But if you put a Newtonmeter on the rim and figure the force to stop it, then you also have the maximum weight it can hold.

Does this motor have a gear box in it? 90rpm seems very slow for an off-load speed. What sort of motor is it?

Simon Bridge said:
A constant torque of 5N turns the wheel at a constant 90rpm means there is friction in the system balancing it out. No net torque.
But if you put a Newtonmeter on the rim and figure the force to stop it, then you also have the maximum weight it can hold.

yea i will mount it on some wheel definitely but before that i want to get the idea of its capability...

sophiecentaur said:
Does this motor have a gear box in it? 90rpm seems very slow for an off-load speed. What sort of motor is it?

yea it is worm geared motor... mostly used in car windows.

iirc there are important real-life restrictions - don't rl electric motors draw more current under load or something? I remember something about motors burning out.

But doing stuff with motors is usually more about power than work.
So you need to settle on something for a benchmark.

Manufacturer usually has a clue or three too.

A naive calculation would suggest to expect it to hold 10kg against gravity with the specs shown. I wouldn't bet on it though. The RPM given, if stamped on the motor, may be that under normal load (eg - lifting a window). Have you run it without yet?

From the data, it looks as though the motor will produce a force of 100N at the periphery of the 0.05m wheel. That suggests it should lift 10kg if you use it as a winch, for instance.

Torque = Force times radius
so Force = Torque/ radius

There is another important parameter and that is the useful Power output.
The power out will be Torque times angular speed (in radians)
That's 5 * 90*2π/60 = 47W
If the motor is 50% efficient, that means a current draw of about 8A, when running on full spec load. Doesn't sound too far wrong for a chunky bit of car electrics.

The motor should lift this 10kg at about 0.5m/s.

Someone else might like to check these shirt cuff sums.

[edit - well, at least Simon agrees with my 10kg figure. Ain't sums wonderful?

and the bit about being careful not to overload is relevant too.]

Related to Want to find out the mass movement capability of my motor

1. What is the mass movement capability of a motor?

The mass movement capability of a motor refers to the maximum amount of weight or mass that a motor can move or lift. This is an important factor to consider when choosing a motor for a specific application.

2. How is the mass movement capability of a motor measured?

The mass movement capability of a motor is typically measured in units of force, such as pounds or kilograms. This measurement is often determined through testing and may vary depending on the specific motor and its intended use.

3. What factors can affect the mass movement capability of a motor?

The mass movement capability of a motor can be affected by a variety of factors, including the motor's power and torque, the weight and size of the load being moved, and the efficiency of the motor's mechanical components.

4. How can I determine the mass movement capability of a specific motor?

The best way to determine the mass movement capability of a motor is to consult the manufacturer's specifications or to conduct your own testing. It is also helpful to consider the motor's power and torque ratings, as well as any load limits recommended by the manufacturer.

5. Can the mass movement capability of a motor be increased?

In some cases, it may be possible to increase the mass movement capability of a motor by increasing its power or torque, or by using more efficient mechanical components. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's recommendations and not exceed the motor's maximum load capacity.