Want to know the original text

• Calculus
  • Thread starter mcastillo356
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Text
In summary, The conversation is about a question related to a sentence in the textbook "Calculus", which discusses derivatives in economics. The question is about the meaning of a phrase in Example 6 of the 9th edition, specifically "because the cost is increasing at a rate lower than the average cost". The summary explains that this means the cost is increasing at a slower rate than the average cost, and provides an example to illustrate this concept. The question is then clarified and answered by the original poster.
mcastillo356
Gold Member
Hi, PF

I'm struggling with a sentence from the textbook "Calculus", by Robert A. Adams. At the second chapter, "Differentiation", seventh section, when it comes to talk about derivates in economics, at the example 6, the (c) question is answered in a way I don't understand. ¿Could anybody quote it the way is written originally, in English?

Greetings!

Physics news on Phys.org
In the 9th edition Example 6 does not have a (c) but Example 7 does

(c) If the production level x is increased slightly from x =1000, then the average cost per tonne will drop because the cost is increasing at a rate lower than the average cost. At x = 2000 the opposite is true; an increase in production will increase the average cost per tonne.

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356
Thanks, caz!

caz said:
In the 9th edition Example 6 does not have a (c) but Example 7 does

(c) If the production level x is increased slightly from x =1000, then the average cost per tonne will drop because the cost is increasing at a rate lower than the average cost. At x = 2000 the opposite is true; an increase in production will increase the average cost per tonne.

I don't know if I should post a new thread. The question is: what does it mean "because the cost is increasing at a rate lower than the average cost"?
-cost means marginal cost?
-"rate"? What rate? How can I compare a rate with the average cost per tonne? Is the average cost per tonne another rate?

mcastillo356 said:
Thanks, caz!
I don't know if I should post a new thread. The question is: what does it mean "because the cost is increasing at a rate lower than the average cost"?
-cost means marginal cost?
-"rate"? What rate? How can I compare a rate with the average cost per tonne? Is the average cost per tonne another rate?
Let’s do the 1000 ton case

In (a) you calculated that if you bought 1000 tons it would cost you $10.60 per ton.

In (b) you calculated that the instantaneous cost was $9.40 per ton. This means if you bought a little bit more, that little bit more would cost you $9.40 per ton.

So if you bought 1000+h tons the cost would be
1000*10.6 + h*9.4 < (1000+h)*10.6 so the new average cost will be less than before

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes berkeman and mcastillo356
Thank you, caz! Inmediately understood

Likes Frabjous and berkeman

What is the purpose of wanting to know the original text?

The purpose of wanting to know the original text is to gain a better understanding of the source material and to ensure the accuracy of any translations or interpretations.

How can I determine the original text of a document or passage?

There are several methods for determining the original text, including comparing multiple versions of the text, consulting historical documents or manuscripts, and conducting linguistic analysis.

Why is knowing the original text important?

Knowing the original text is important because it allows for a more accurate understanding of the context, meaning, and intent of the author. It also helps to prevent misinterpretations or mistranslations.

What challenges may arise when trying to determine the original text?

Some challenges that may arise when trying to determine the original text include missing or incomplete source material, language barriers, and changes in language or writing styles over time.

Can technology be used to help determine the original text?

Yes, technology such as computer algorithms and digital databases can be used to assist in determining the original text. However, human analysis and interpretation is still necessary for accurate results.