Want to work in R&D in polymers

In summary, the speaker is interested in working in research and development in the chemical engineering industry but is unsure whether to pursue a Master's or PhD. They are considering whether a Master's degree is sufficient for getting into R&D positions or if a PhD is necessary for a good position. There is a conflicting perspective on the value of a PhD in terms of job opportunities. The speaker asks for advice and is advised to not make a decision until they have a job offer.
mrund3rd09
Chemical engineering topics like heat transfer, transport, separations etc. never really appealed to me. But I really like research, and I think R&D is the place for me in industry. In order to work in R&D, I need an advanced degree. But I'm currently trying to decide what's the best way to get to my destination (eg. MS or Phd).

Can I get into R&D positions I like if I have a MS and work my way up in industry? Or do I need a PhD in order to have a decent position? The thing with PhD's is that there's like a dichotomy of perspectives that splits between "PhD is a rewarding experience" and "PhD is underpaid labor and it narrows your opportunities for jobs".

advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
do you have a job already lined up? i heard twofish quant say this before: don't make choices until you have a choice.

1. What is R&D in polymers?

R&D (Research and Development) in polymers refers to the process of conducting scientific research and experiments to develop new and improved polymers, as well as studying the properties and potential applications of existing polymers. It involves a combination of theoretical and practical work to advance the understanding and utilization of polymers.

2. What kind of work can I expect to do in R&D in polymers?

As a researcher in R&D in polymers, you can expect to engage in a variety of tasks, such as designing and conducting experiments, analyzing data, developing new materials and processes, and collaborating with other scientists and engineers. You may also be involved in presenting and publishing your findings, as well as applying for patents for any new discoveries or inventions.

3. What skills and qualifications are needed for a career in R&D in polymers?

A career in R&D in polymers typically requires a strong background in science, particularly in chemistry and materials science. Excellent critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills are also essential, as well as the ability to work independently and in a team. A degree in a relevant field, such as polymer science or chemical engineering, is usually required, and higher-level positions may require a master's or doctoral degree.

4. What industries and fields can I work in with a background in R&D in polymers?

R&D in polymers is a diverse field that has applications in various industries, including plastics, coatings, adhesives, and composites. It is also used in fields such as healthcare, agriculture, and electronics. With a background in R&D in polymers, you may have opportunities for employment in industries such as manufacturing, research and development, and quality control.

5. What are the potential benefits of working in R&D in polymers?

Working in R&D in polymers can be a highly rewarding career, as it allows you to be at the forefront of scientific advancements and contribute to the development of new and innovative materials. It also offers opportunities for continuous learning and growth, as well as the potential for making a significant impact in various industries. Additionally, R&D positions in polymers often come with competitive salaries and benefits packages.