Wasan, and the development of Analysis in Japan

In summary, during Japan's Sakoku period, Seki Kowa and Takebe developed the Yenri, also known as the Circle Principle, which uses Archimedes' method to determine the value of pi through polygonal methods and converging fraction series. The book "A History of Japanese Mathematics" provides information on Yenri on pages 97-100 and 108-112, including a derivation of pi on page 78. However, the derivation of 22/7 on page 111 is heuristic and relies on an already determined approximate value. There is no mention of power series forms in the book.
EndanRinkaro
I am writing an article on the development of Japanese mathematics during Japan's Sakoku, (closed from the world) period.
While going through a book (http://2020ok.com/books/42/a-history-of-japanese-mathematics-41542.htm), I came to know about how Seki Kowa, and then later Takebe, developed what is known as the Yenri, (Circle Principle). I would be extremely glad if some people would give me more inputs on Yenri that what is there in the book.
As far as I can tell, Yenri uses Archimedes' method of determining the value of pi by polygonal methods, and by converging fractions series.

Please look at the pages 97-100, and 108 to 112.

Surely, certain equations given there must have some logical derivations!

Please tell me what more to add, as this is a technical article, and I don't want to mess up historical facts.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Looks to me that page 78 gives the earliest derivation of pi in the book (using Archimedes' method, as you say). Pp 97-100 use it rather than derive it. The derivation of 22/7 on p 111 is purely heuristic, depending on the already determined (approximate) value. I didn't notice any power series forms, but I haven't looked very hard.

1. What is Wasan?

Wasan refers to the traditional mathematical methods and practices developed and used in Japan before the modernization of the country. It includes various techniques for calculation, measurement, and problem-solving, and it was heavily influenced by Chinese mathematics and its own cultural and philosophical beliefs.

2. How did Wasan develop?

Wasan developed over several centuries, starting from the 7th century when Japanese scholars began studying Chinese mathematics. It was further developed and refined through interactions with other Asian countries and through the efforts of Japanese mathematicians and scholars, such as Seki Takakazu and Takebe Katahiro.

3. What are some key features of Wasan?

Some key features of Wasan include the use of abacus, finger counting, and visual aids like the soroban and sangaku (wooden tablet with geometrical problems). It also emphasizes the use of practical and intuitive methods rather than abstract concepts and formulas.

4. How did Wasan influence the development of analysis in Japan?

Wasan played a significant role in the development of analysis in Japan, particularly in the areas of calculus and algebra. The use of visual aids and practical methods in Wasan helped Japanese mathematicians to understand and apply complex mathematical concepts, leading to the creation of new techniques and solutions.

5. Is Wasan still relevant today?

Yes, Wasan is still relevant today as it provides a unique perspective on mathematical thinking and problem-solving. Many of its techniques and methods are still used in various fields, such as engineering, finance, and computer science. Wasan is also seen as an important part of Japan's cultural heritage and is still taught in some schools and universities.