Water psi effect on boat transducer

In summary, the conversation is about the effect of boat speed and pressure on a transducer mounted at the back of a boat. The transducer is purposely shaped to reduce drag and is approximately 2" sq in size. The speaker is seeking a backup theory to support their belief that the transducer will experience increased water forces as boat speed increases. They are looking for a simplified explanation due to their lack of knowledge in physics. The shape of the transducer is elliptical, resembling 1/4 of an egg, and could be used for sonar, cameras, or microphones while trailing behind a boat at different speeds.
captain chris
I am seeking a general answer relative to boat speed and psi effect on a transducer. I understand many variables affect this, ie, salinity, current, etc. Assuming a transducer mounted on the back of a boat hangs below into the water 1/4", water forces increase against this object as boat speed increases. The transducer is purposely 'egg-shaped" and mounted longitudinally to reduce drag. I am seeking round-about psi water force on the face surface of the transducer of approximately 2" sq (max), in 10 mph increments from 10 to 80mph. I am looking for a backup theory to assist in substantiating what I now believe to be somewhat accurate. There is likely no way to compute accurately, but close is workable. I am not schooled in physics, so, the simpler the better. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of transducer are you referring to? What is the purpose of the transducer? Without an exact shape, the only quick and dirty way to calculate the forces acting on that would be to simulate it as a flat plate which will give you higher forces and thus be inaccurate.

boat transducer shape

Fred,

The shape is commonly elliptical, to facilitate lessening drag. I believe I likened it to an "egg'shape". Just picture maybe 1/4 of an egg below the bottom at the stern of a boat dragging in the water 1/4" below the bottom. The 'egg" (or transducer) would be positioned where the ergonomic ends would point fore and aft. It could be any kind of transducer for sonar, or camera, or maybe microphone, but would trail behind a boat at float or at a faster speed as I have indicated. Thanks!

1. How does water pressure affect a boat transducer?

The water pressure can affect a boat transducer in several ways. First, it can cause the transducer to read inaccurate depth readings due to changes in water density. Additionally, high water pressure can cause the transducer to become damaged or malfunction if it is not rated for deep water use.

2. Can water pressure affect the performance of a boat transducer?

Yes, water pressure can have a significant impact on the performance of a boat transducer. High water pressure can cause the transducer to lose sensitivity and produce inaccurate readings. It can also cause the transducer to become damaged or malfunction if it is not designed to withstand high pressure.

3. How can I protect my boat transducer from the effects of water pressure?

To protect your boat transducer from the effects of water pressure, make sure to choose a transducer that is rated for the depth at which you will be using it. Additionally, regularly inspect and maintain your transducer to ensure it is in good working condition. It is also a good idea to install a transducer guard to protect it from potential damage.

4. Can water pressure affect the accuracy of my boat's depth sounder?

Yes, water pressure can affect the accuracy of your boat's depth sounder. Changes in water density can cause the sound waves to travel at different speeds, leading to inaccurate depth readings. Additionally, if the water pressure is too high, it can cause the transducer to malfunction, resulting in incorrect depth readings.

5. How can I determine the appropriate water pressure rating for my boat transducer?

The appropriate water pressure rating for a boat transducer will depend on the depth at which you will be using it. It is important to choose a transducer with a pressure rating that exceeds the maximum depth you will be operating in. You can consult with the manufacturer or refer to the transducer's specifications to determine its water pressure rating.