Water stream projection distance calculation for different nozzle shapes

In summary, the conversation is about the difficulties the speaker is facing in finding the right size of nozzles for their device and their lack of understanding of the equations related to nozzle distance. They are seeking guidance on the formula for determining the distance that nozzles can shoot water when directed horizontally or upwards at a 45 degree angle. The speaker also mentions details about the equipment they are using and their attempts to find information on spray coverage and water jet formulas.
sabenabe
Hello,
I have built a device and i want to test different types of nozzles. Problem is; the size of the nozzles i need are hard to find in company stock. So i need to make sure before i make any order.

I have no background or degree any related area so it is hard to understand the equations, how to use them in my case.
I have checked all the formulas about nozzle distance but in most examples the nozzle are directed to the ground.

If someone have spare time, please guide me about the formula for distance that nozzles can shoot water before drift when directed horizontally or upwards with a 45 degree angle like in the pic attached.

I am using a 120 PSI diaphragm pump, 6mm tubes and 0.4mm misting nozzle. What is the effect of the gravity and nozzle angle in this case?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Nozzle shoot distance.png
    Nozzle shoot distance.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 255
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please tell us more details about the equations you've seen, and what you have tried so far.

I imagine the OP has looked for information in Firefighting sources? I would imagine that tables obtained from measurements would be more available than equations.

Chestermiller said:
Please tell us more details about the equations you've seen, and what you have tried so far.
Hello, i am working on the spray coverage formula and trying to find a connection with the water jet formula. I need to find the "L" before drift in different positionings of the nozzle. Atmospheric conditions but no wind. I guess it will be theoritical.
Thank you.

@sophiecentaur now i will check those too, Thank you.

Attachments

• Spray coverage.png
    Spray coverage.png
    81.5 KB · Views: 325
  • Water Jet.png
    Water Jet.png
    40 KB · Views: 329

1. How do different nozzle shapes affect the projection distance of water streams?

The shape of a nozzle can greatly impact the projection distance of a water stream. This is because the shape of the nozzle determines the flow rate and velocity of the water as it exits the nozzle. Nozzles with a smaller opening and a more constricted shape will typically result in a longer projection distance compared to nozzles with a larger opening and a wider shape.

2. What factors besides nozzle shape can affect the projection distance of water streams?

Aside from nozzle shape, other factors that can affect the projection distance of water streams include water pressure, nozzle material, and the angle at which the nozzle is held. Higher water pressure and a smoother nozzle material can result in a longer projection distance, while holding the nozzle at a higher angle can decrease the distance.

3. How can I calculate the projection distance for a specific nozzle shape?

The projection distance for a specific nozzle shape can be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the nozzle opening, water pressure, and nozzle angle. Alternatively, there are also online calculators and software programs available that can calculate the projection distance for different nozzle shapes.

4. Are there any standard nozzle shapes used for water stream projection calculations?

Yes, there are several standard nozzle shapes that are commonly used for water stream projection calculations, such as round, flat, and conical nozzles. These shapes have been studied and their flow characteristics are well understood, making it easier to calculate the projection distance for these shapes.

5. Can the projection distance of a water stream be increased by changing the nozzle shape?

Yes, changing the nozzle shape can potentially increase the projection distance of a water stream. As mentioned earlier, a smaller and more constricted nozzle shape can result in a longer projection distance. However, it is important to note that changing the nozzle shape may also affect the flow rate and velocity of the water, which can impact the overall performance of the water stream. It is important to carefully consider all factors before making any changes to the nozzle shape.