We Lost Another Great Icon of Music of the 1960's: Judith Durham

• Music
  • Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lost Music
In summary, the music world has lost another great icon of the 1960's with the passing of Judith Durham of The Seekers. She had a clear and strong voice and was known for hits such as "Georgy Girl," "It Doesn't Matter Anymore," and "I'll Never Find Another You." The Seekers were a favorite of many, including the mother of one of the conversationalists, and their music was often heard playing on record players. Sadly, Durham had a chronic lung condition which eventually led to her death.
  • Sad
  • Love
Likes pinball1970 and mcastillo356
Science news on Phys.org
One of my mother's favourite groups, @jedishrfu, I can well recall The Seekers albums on the record player way back when. (She also introduced me to Jethro Tull and ELO and those are the ones I used to play, The Seekers were too folksy for me, compared to the likes of Thick as a Brick and Eldorado.) Still, Judith certainly had a clear, strong voice, R.I.P.

• Haha
Likes Astronuc, pinball1970 and jedishrfu
Melbourne Guy said:
One of my mother's favourite groups, @jedishrfu, I can well recall The Seekers albums on the record player way back when. (She also introduced me to Jethro Tull and ELO and those are the ones I used to play, The Seekers were too folksy for me, compared to the likes of Thick as a Brick and Eldorado.) Still, Judith certainly had a clear, strong voice, R.I.P.
She had a beautiful voice. Unpretentious.

jedishrfu said:
We lost another great icon of the 1960's: Judith Durham of The Seekers

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...e-seekers-australia-singer-dead-obit-1393839/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judith_Durham

Most famous song was Georgy Girl:

and my two favorites: It Doesn't Matter Anymore and I'll never Find Another You

and the story of The Seekers as a group:

Very sad, she had a lung illness according to Wiki that eventually lead to her death.
All that beautiful music, singing with a chronic lung condition.

Likes jedishrfu
This was always my favorite. . .

• Love
Likes pinball1970
OCR said:
This was always my favorite. . .

A good good guy on YT analyses classic bands and vocal performance via pitch tech (sorry not something I can explain well)

Mum loved them and then so did I as I got to know them.

Last edited:

What was Judith Durham's impact on the music industry in the 1960s?

Judith Durham was a key figure in the 1960s music scene, known for her powerful vocals and contributions to the folk and pop genres. She was the lead singer of the Australian folk group The Seekers, who achieved international success with hits such as "Georgy Girl" and "A World of Our Own". Durham's unique voice and musical style helped pave the way for other female artists in the male-dominated industry.

What was Judith Durham's musical background?

Judith Durham began her musical career as a jazz singer in Melbourne, Australia. She was classically trained in piano and voice, and also played the ukulele, guitar, and autoharp. Her diverse musical background allowed her to experiment with different genres and create a unique sound that captivated audiences.

What were some of Judith Durham's notable achievements in her career?

Aside from her success with The Seekers, Judith Durham had a solo career and released multiple albums. She also performed for Queen Elizabeth II and the Pope, and was awarded the Order of Australia for her contributions to the music industry. In 1995, she was inducted into the ARIA Hall of Fame and in 2013, she received a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Australian Recording Industry Association Awards.

What was Judith Durham's impact on women in the music industry?

Judith Durham's success as a female musician in the 1960s was groundbreaking and inspiring for other women in the industry. She challenged traditional gender roles and paved the way for other female artists to be taken seriously in the male-dominated music scene. Durham's powerful voice and confident stage presence showed that women could be just as talented and successful as their male counterparts.

What is Judith Durham's legacy in the music industry?

Judith Durham's legacy in the music industry is one of talent, resilience, and breaking barriers. She will always be remembered as a pioneer for women in music and for her contributions to the folk and pop genres. Her music continues to inspire and influence artists today, and her impact on the industry will never be forgotten.