Weighing the Pros and Cons of a Mechanical Engineering Career

In summary, the individual is considering becoming a mechanical engineer, but wants to take several factors into account before making a decision. These factors include the availability of jobs, salary, financial security, and the possibility of working in the aerospace industry. They are also wondering if getting a masters degree in aerospace engineering would be beneficial for job opportunities and salary.
collegescholar
I am thinking about being a mechanical engineer but there are a few things I wanted to take into account before I picked this field.

First, the amount of available jobs is important.

Second, salary. I'm not a money crazed person but I plan on raising a family. I want to be able to pay off all of my debt as fast as I can and never be in debt ever again. I want to be able to pay for my kids' college if I ever end up having any. I want to have a lot of financial security.

Third, I want to go into the aerospace industry. What jobs would be available for me in this industry with a degree in mechanical engineering?

Fourth, would it be smart to get a masters degree in aerospace engineering? Would it effect job openings and salary?

Thank you guys for your time. I really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
This post is a more detailed version of your previous post, and probably more relevant here. Generally double posting is frowned upon.

Sorry I am new here and I couldn't find my original post and thought that it wasn't posted but I got it all figured out now. Sorry again.

What is a mechanical engineering career?

A mechanical engineering career involves designing, developing, and testing mechanical devices, such as machines, engines, and tools. It requires knowledge of physics, mathematics, and materials science to create efficient and functional products.

What are the pros of a mechanical engineering career?

Some of the pros of a mechanical engineering career include high job demand, competitive salary, opportunities for advancement and specialization, and the ability to work in a variety of industries such as aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing.

What are the cons of a mechanical engineering career?

Some of the cons of a mechanical engineering career include a high level of math and science coursework, long work hours, and a demanding and fast-paced work environment. It can also involve working on repetitive tasks and dealing with strict deadlines.

What skills are needed for a mechanical engineering career?

To succeed in a mechanical engineering career, one needs strong problem-solving skills, creativity, attention to detail, and proficiency in math and science. Communication, teamwork, and computer skills are also important for collaborating with others and using design software.

What education is required for a mechanical engineering career?

Most mechanical engineering positions require a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or a related field. Some employers may prefer candidates with a master's degree for more advanced or specialized roles. Additionally, obtaining a Professional Engineering (PE) license may also enhance job opportunities and earning potential.