Weight of water from molecular mass to grams per cubic centimeter

In summary, the conversation discusses the discrepancy between the actual density of water (one gram per cubic centimeter) and the calculated density using the ideal gas law (792.56 grams per cubic meter). It is pointed out that the ideal gas law is not applicable to liquids and that the calculation also contains a transcription error. The conversation also includes a sanity check to confirm the accuracy of the calculation.
engine123
I’ve been scratching my head (and working in ms excel) about the following for about 6 hours and would greatly appreciate it if somebody could help me.

Basically, I am trying to figure out WHY the density of water is approximately one gram per cubic centimeter (at 1 atm pressure and 4 degrees Celsius).

Note the following conversions:
1 atm = 101,325.01 Pa = 14.7 psi
4 C = 39.2 F = 277 K

Also:
Gas Law Constant = 8.3145

Starting at the molecular level, water has a molecular mass of 18.015 g/mol.

Using the ideal gas law:
density = (pressure) (molar mass) / ((temp) (8.3145))
g/m^3 = (Pa) (g/mol) / ((K) (8.3145))

This is what I come up with:
density = (101,325 Pa) (18.015 g/mol) / ((277 K) (8.3145))
density = 792.56 grams per cubic meter

792.56 grams per cubic cm does NOT equal 1 gram per cubic centimeter.
Why?
Where did I go wrong?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
engine123 said:
Where did I go wrong?

Why did you apply the ideal gas law for a liquid?

engine123 said:
density = 792.56 grams per cubic meter

792.56 grams per cubic cm does NOT equal 1 gram per cubic centimeter.
Why?
Where did I go wrong?

As Vanadium 50 has pointed out, liquid water is not an ideal gas. The density of liquid water is [much] higher than Boyle's law would predict. The molecules of water stick together and thus exert less pressure on their surroundings than would otherwise be the case.

You also dropped a factor of 10^6, in what appears to be a transcription error. 792.56 grams per cubic cm is incorrect. 792.56 grams per cubic meter is right for an ideal gas with a molecular weight of 18.

I sanity-checked your computation by taking 1200 grams per cubic meter (density of air, according to Google) and multiplying by 18/28 (air is mostly nitrogen with a molecular weight of 28). That comes to 771 grams per cubic meter -- close enough for back-of-the-envelope work.

1. What is the molecular mass of water?

The molecular mass of water is 18.01528 g/mol. This is calculated by adding the atomic masses of two hydrogen atoms (1.008) and one oxygen atom (15.999) in a water molecule.

2. How do you convert molecular mass to grams per cubic centimeter?

To convert molecular mass to grams per cubic centimeter, you need to know the density of water. The density of water is 1 g/cm3, which means that 1 mole of water (18.01528 g) occupies 1 cubic centimeter of space. Therefore, the conversion factor is 1 g/cm3 = 18.01528 g/mol.

3. What is the weight of water in grams per cubic centimeter?

The weight of water in grams per cubic centimeter is equal to its density, which is 1 g/cm3. This means that 1 cubic centimeter of water weighs 1 gram.

4. How do you calculate the weight of a specific volume of water?

To calculate the weight of a specific volume of water, you need to know the density of water. Once you have the density, you can use the formula: weight = volume x density. For example, if you want to find the weight of 500 mL of water, you would multiply 500 mL (or 0.5 L) by the density of water (1 g/cm3) to get 500 g.

5. What is the weight of a liter of water?

The weight of a liter of water is 1000 grams. This is because a liter is equal to 1000 cubic centimeters, and the density of water is 1 g/cm3. So, 1000 cm3 x 1 g/cm3 = 1000 grams.