Weight Transfer in Car Tires, and Suspension

In summary, the conversation discusses the formulas for weight transfer in different forms of acceleration, as well as the effects of suspension on these equations. The experts recommend reading "Race Car Vehicle Dynamics" for a more thorough understanding of the topic, and explain how suspension can be used to tune a car's oversteer and understeer.
jonesto95
I've been looking up how weight transfers between car tires in various forms of acceleration, and I've found some formulas. For linear acceleration, I found this formula on Wikipedia:

ΔWeight = (accel) * (height of center of mass) * (mass) / (wheelbase)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight_transfer

And I also found this inequality for a turning car, where a car won't roll over as long as

(centripetal force) / (weight + downforce) < (wheel track / (2 * height of center of mass))

accidentreconstruction.com/research/suv/rollovers[1].pdf

However, the second link mentions how it ignores suspension effects, which made me think: How would those effects play into these two equations? In other words, under the same amount of acceleration and/or centripetal acceleration, how would the amount of transferred weight differ between a stiff suspension (high spring constant), and a soft suspension (low spring constant)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like they are treating the problem in the typical rigid body fashion. With suspension effect, the location of the center of mass will move.

From what I've been looking at, that does seem to be the only way suspension plays into this. I can only see the CoM moving vertically though. Can it move horizontally (relative to the car axis) along the car, and if so, how?

Have a look at "Race Car Vehicle Dynamics" by Milliken and Milliken, if you can. It gives an excellent treatment of the your problem area.

Yes, CoM will move vertically and horizontally. When the car is accelerating, the CoM will move back...when breaking, forward...when turning, sideways

Oh my. I found that book. This thing is amazing, VERY nice find!

Good. It has been the 'bible' for many involved in racing for some time. It should answer most of your questions.

The total cornering load can't be changed, but it can be distributed unevenly between the front and rear tires by making the front or rear end suspension relatively (compared to forward / rearward weight bias) stiffer. The stiffer end (springs and/or roll bar) gets more of a different in weight distribution (greater downforce on the outside tire, less downforce on the inner tire), than the looser end. Since the coefficient of friction of a tire decreases somewhat with an increase in downforce, the stiffer end will have less maximum grip than the looser end of a car, and this is how oversteer / understeer can be tuned with suspension stiffness.

1. What is weight transfer in car tires and suspension?

Weight transfer refers to the shifting of weight from one side of the vehicle to the other during acceleration, braking, and turning. This weight transfer can affect the traction and handling of a vehicle.

2. How does weight transfer impact a car's performance?

Weight transfer can impact a car's performance in several ways. During acceleration, weight transfer can cause the front of the car to rise, reducing the traction of the rear tires and potentially causing wheel spin. During braking, weight transfer can cause the front of the car to dip, increasing the load on the front tires and improving braking performance. During turning, weight transfer can cause the car to lean to one side, affecting the grip and stability of the tires.

3. What factors affect weight transfer in a car?

The weight distribution of a car, the suspension design, and the type of tires being used can all affect weight transfer. The weight distribution of a car refers to the distribution of weight between the front and rear of the vehicle. A car with a higher weight on the front will experience more weight transfer during braking, while a car with a higher weight on the rear will experience more weight transfer during acceleration. The suspension design also plays a role as stiffer suspension will experience less weight transfer compared to a softer suspension. Lastly, the type of tires being used can also impact weight transfer as tires with more grip will experience less weight transfer compared to tires with less grip.

4. How can weight transfer be managed in a car?

To manage weight transfer, car manufacturers use different suspension designs and tuning to optimize handling and stability. Additionally, drivers can also use techniques such as weight shifting by adjusting their speed and steering inputs to minimize weight transfer during cornering.

5. Why is weight transfer important in car tires and suspension?

Weight transfer is important because it affects the overall performance and handling of a vehicle. Too much weight transfer can lead to loss of control, while too little weight transfer can result in reduced traction. Therefore, understanding and managing weight transfer is crucial for safe and efficient driving.