Weird looking version of angular velocity

In summary, there was a discussion about angular velocity and its relationship to radius and rate of change of angle over time. The conversation also touched on the concept of measuring angular velocity in terms of the rate of change of the tangential velocity vector and how the normal of this tangential vector curls in time. There was also mention of a diagram being shared to clarify the concept.
ylim
Hi there,

It is common that
angular velocity = radius * rate of change of degree over time,

But I read this somewhere,

it reads

angular vel = normal vector * rate of change of normal vector over time,

Can anyone please explain the correlation?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
ylim said:
Hi there,

It is common that
angular velocity = radius * rate of change of degree over time,

Very uncommon.

angular velocity = rate of change of angle over time
Linear speed=r*(dtheta/dt) on a circular path.

Sorry. Yes, I meant angular velocity = rate of change of angle over time
but my concern is
angular vel = normal vector curl rate of change of normal vector over time,

ylim said:
Sorry. Yes, I meant angular velocity = rate of change of angle over time
but my concern is
angular vel = normal vector curl rate of change of normal vector over time,

No the second description isn't that uncommon. If you imagine measuring angular velocity in terms of the rate of change of the tangential velocity vector to the curve, and how the normal of this tangential vector curls in time when compared to the normal of this original vector for a given time interval [tex]\Delta t[/tex]

[Will add a diagram in a few mins]
Hopefully that will clarify

Edit- Having serious trouble uploading diagram, (it's a bmp paint file but it exceeds the limit! :(

Last edited:
thankkssss..~ hmm, do you mind dropping me an email (the bmp) at wincluster@gmail.com

thank you.

Related to Weird looking version of angular velocity

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating or spinning around a fixed point. It is commonly represented by the symbol ω (omega) and is measured in radians per second (rad/s).

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity measures the rate of change of an object's angular displacement, while linear velocity measures the rate of change of an object's linear displacement. In other words, angular velocity describes how fast an object is rotating, while linear velocity describes how fast an object is moving in a straight line.

3. What is a "weird looking" version of angular velocity?

There is no specific definition of a "weird looking" version of angular velocity. However, it could potentially refer to a non-uniform or non-constant angular velocity, where the rate of rotation is changing over time.

4. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. The formula for angular velocity is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angular displacement, and Δt is the change in time.

5. What are some real-world examples of objects with angular velocity?

Some examples of objects with angular velocity include spinning tops, Earth's rotation around its axis, the rotation of a car wheel, and the rotation of a CD or record player. Angular velocity is also important in sports such as figure skating, diving, and gymnastics.