Weird nuclear propulsion concept

In summary: One option is to use an atomic engine, which is a type of nuclear propulsion. Another option is to use a nuclear-powered rocket. There are also nuclear-powered submarines and aircraft. Finally, there are nuclear-powered boats, which are the most common type of nuclear-powered vessel.
hagopbul
TL;DR Summary
A question about nuclear propulsion and it's choices
Hello all:

I have a small question about nuclear propulsion , why everyone are trying to use it ,and why this wired choice of nuclear option , retrofitting a nuclear reactor to mount it on the rocket , isn't that a little dangerous , why they don't use other option or research it , there is few obvious ones

Physics news on Phys.org
I presume you're talking about concepts for a Nuclear Thermal Rocket, because I've seen a few articles on them recently.

Why nuclear? It's a question of efficiency, really. NRTs can generally get more thrust out of a given mass of propellant. This is measured as Specific Impulse, per the NRT article they expect 850-1000 Isp for an NRT. For comparison, the Merlin rocket engines SpaceX uses on the Falcon 9 get about 348 Isp (Merlin 1D Vacuum). This let's you go places (like Mars) faster. [Further, NRTs get this Isp and have high thrust, unlike Ion Thrusters which have Isp values in the thousands, but produce very little thrust.]

As far as dangers go, I think the one that gets the most attention is the danger that the nuclear fuel doesn't make it to orbit due to one disaster or another and radioisotopes are distributed over a large swath of the planet.

Why not use another option? Those result in longer missions to deep space, and the less time spent exposing your astronauts to cosmic radiation the better.

Last edited:
I was talking about other options for nuclear propulsion ,there is other ways for using nuclear energy in propulsion

hagopbul said:
I was talking about other options for nuclear propulsion ,there is other ways for using nuclear energy in propulsion
What research have you done so far? This article mentions several ways.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_propulsion
Nuclear propulsion includes a wide variety of propulsion methods that fulfill the promise of the Atomic Age by using some form of nuclear reaction as their primary power source. The idea of using nuclear material for propulsion dates back to the beginning of the 20th century. I

1. What is a "Weird nuclear propulsion concept"?

A "Weird nuclear propulsion concept" refers to any unconventional or alternative method of using nuclear energy for propulsion, such as using nuclear fusion or antimatter reactions.

2. How does a "Weird nuclear propulsion concept" work?

The specifics of how a "Weird nuclear propulsion concept" works can vary depending on the specific concept. However, in general, these concepts involve harnessing the immense energy released by nuclear reactions to propel a spacecraft or other vehicle forward.

3. What are the potential benefits of using a "Weird nuclear propulsion concept"?

Using a "Weird nuclear propulsion concept" could potentially allow for faster and more efficient space travel, as well as reducing the reliance on traditional chemical propellants. It could also open up new possibilities for exploration and colonization of distant planets.

4. Are there any risks associated with "Weird nuclear propulsion concepts"?

As with any technology involving nuclear energy, there are potential risks involved with "Weird nuclear propulsion concepts". These could include radiation exposure, potential accidents or malfunctions, and the production of radioactive waste.

5. Is there any current research or development being done on "Weird nuclear propulsion concepts"?

Yes, there is ongoing research and development in this field, with various organizations and countries exploring different "Weird nuclear propulsion concepts" and their potential applications. However, these concepts are still in the early stages of development and are not yet ready for practical use.