Weird situation with my job -- need advice

In summary, an employee of their university was informed that HR will take some time to readjust their employment status, but was not given a time frame. They have been working for about a month now and their inquiries have been going on for about 2 weeks. They believe they should go up to the HR office and ask to speak to someone, but they don't know who they should ask for or what their line of questioning should be.
PhotonSSBM
Insights Author
So I am an employee of my university. Last semester I was given a stipend as an undergraduate researcher. For medical reasons I couldn't pursue that stipend this semester, but now have taken a job as a math tutor.

Because I transitioned from one job to the other, I was informed that HR will take some time to readjust my employment status. I think part of it was due to the fact that I will be paid biweekly instead of monthly.

I was not given a time frame that this would complete by, and all of my emails asking for an estimate have been ignored. I don't know when I'm getting paid, nor do I have the ability to submit my timecards. I have been working for about a month now and my inquiries have been going on for about 2 weeks. I believe I should go up to the HR office and ask to speak to someone, but I don't know who I should ask for, or what my line of questioning should be. Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, I'm PhotonSSBM and am a math tutor. I am having problems with my time card, and haven't received pay check. Who do I need to talk with?

Likes russ_watters
I feel like I'm past that point though. I expect to be met with apathy since our HR isn't the friendliest. When I actually sit down and talk with someone what's appropriate to demand or ask for?

PhotonSSBM said:
I expect to be met with apathy since our HR isn't the friendliest.
Maybe the person you talked to isn't the friendliest. Since someone there is ignoring your email requests, I would go to the office in person. If the person you talk to there can't or won't answer your question about when you will be paid, ask to talk to that person's supervisor. If that person stonewalls, keep moving up the food chain until you can find someone who can make things happen for you.

Likes billy_joule
I agree w/ previous answers. There is no need for an intricate or subtle strategy; just be polite, patient, and & persistent until, as @Mark44 suggests, you find a person who is willing to take responsibility and who can help. Appearing in person makes it much harder for you to be ignored, so use this to your advantage.

Also bear in mind the problem could be due to any number of reasons. You may have run into some sort of weird glitch in email delivery; or some problem with a particular employee being out sick or on vacay; etc. Or it may be that someone is overloaded and/or burnt out. Regardless of the possible cause, if you project an air of good faith, it will work in your favor.

One other suggestion - I'd definitely try just showing up & being patient first; but if for any reason you still run into snags, see if you can find someone in the math dept. who supports the tutor program and who can go to bat for you at HR. The problems you list in your initial post (not being able even to submit a time card, let alone know when you will get paid) are something that any decent supervisor will recognize as being important. They don't want to lose a tutor simply because HR isn't being responsive.

It takes time for the first payment. I remember I got my first RA payment after 4 weeks of starting. I think the delay is from the payroll office. Ask about this.

Q: What is the weird situation with your job?

The weird situation with my job is that my boss has been acting strangely towards me and giving me conflicting instructions.

Q: How has this situation affected your work?

This situation has caused confusion and stress for me, as I am unsure of what tasks I should prioritize or how to interpret my boss's behavior.

Q: Have you tried discussing this with your boss?

Yes, I have tried talking to my boss about the situation, but they have been dismissive and defensive.

Q: What steps can you take to address this issue?

I plan on documenting the conflicting instructions and discussing them with HR or another supervisor to get clarity on my role and responsibilities.

Q: How can this situation be prevented in the future?

To prevent similar situations in the future, I will make sure to communicate clearly with my boss and ask for written instructions or clarification when needed.