Westinghouse Very Small Modular Reactor Progress

• Thread starter gmax137
  • Start date
Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks for the link to the article. I live in Saskatchewan and I was puzzled by the article in our local paper today quoting Westinghouse CEO as saying that it does not require water (Saskatoon Star-Phoenix, Nov 27, 2023, p.1):

1701282164716.png

I was interested to know two things:
1. how is it cooled?
2. how does the heat from the fission reactions generate electricity?

From the link to the article you provided, the answer to the first question appears to be "heat pipes" and answer to the second question is that heat is transferred passively to air and the hot air drives a Brayton cycle turbine. What I don't understand, then, is the statement: "heat pipe reactors are not pressurized and have no moving parts"

AM

Likes rpp
Andrew Mason said:
What I don't understand, then, is the statement: "heat pipe reactors are not pressurized and have no moving parts"
I really don't know much about the eVinci, I was not involved in that at all. Maybe this will lead to answers:
https://www.westinghousenuclear.com/energy-systems/evinci-microreactor

Likes rpp
Searching ADAMS for evinci in the document name finds hits but they all look like meeting notices. I'm thinking the technical stuff is proprietary. Not sure where to find something in the middle, between advertising and Topical Reports. There should be non-prop Topicals.

adams_.jpg

Likes rpp
Andrew Mason said:
I was interested to know two things:
1. how is it cooled?
2. how does the heat from the fission reactions generate electricity?

From the link to the article you provided, the answer to the first question appears to be "heat pipes" and answer to the second question is that heat is transferred passively to air and the hot air drives a Brayton cycle turbine. What I don't understand, then, is the statement: "heat pipe reactors are not pressurized and have no moving parts"

AM

The reactor is composed of fuel and heat pipes. The fuel generates heat, the heat pipes then transport the heat to a heat exchanger, which then heats up the gas. There are no moving parts in the reactor itself. There is moving fluid in the heat pipes, but this isn't considered "moving parts".

The Brayton cycle is a standard "heat engine" that is used to turn a generator. It is composed of a heat exchanger (where the energy comes from), a turbine and generator (where the energy is transferred to), and a compressor. In a closed cycle, there is another heat exchanger to transmit unused heat from the system. There are moving parts in the Brayton cycle.
You can refer to Wikipedia for more information on the Brayton Cycle.

• Informative
Likes Astronuc, berkeman and gmax137

1. What is the Westinghouse Very Small Modular Reactor (vSMR)?

The Westinghouse Very Small Modular Reactor (vSMR) is a compact nuclear reactor design developed by Westinghouse Electric Company. It is designed to produce a smaller amount of nuclear power compared to traditional nuclear reactors, typically under 50 MWe (megawatt electrical), which allows for easier management and lower initial capital costs.

2. What are the key advantages of the Westinghouse vSMR?

The Westinghouse vSMR offers several advantages including scalability, reduced site requirements, and enhanced safety features. Its smaller size and modular nature allow for factory fabrication followed by transportation to the site, which can significantly reduce construction times and costs. Additionally, its advanced safety features are designed to meet stringent regulatory standards and ensure the protection of the public and the environment.

3. How does the Westinghouse vSMR address safety concerns?

The Westinghouse vSMR incorporates passive safety systems that do not require active controls or operational intervention to maintain safety in the event of a malfunction. These systems use natural forces such as gravity, convection, and conduction to manage heat and maintain the reactor in a safe state during abnormal operations or emergencies. This approach significantly enhances the overall safety profile of the reactor.

4. What stage of development is the Westinghouse vSMR currently in?

As of the last update, the Westinghouse vSMR is in the developmental and regulatory review stage. Westinghouse has been engaging with nuclear regulators to ensure that the design meets all necessary safety and environmental standards. The timeline for commercial deployment can vary depending on the outcomes of these reviews and the establishment of suitable infrastructure and customer contracts.

5. What are the potential applications of the Westinghouse vSMR?

The Westinghouse vSMR is versatile and can be used for a variety of applications including electricity generation for small grids or remote locations, process heat production for industrial applications, and desalination. Additionally, its scalability allows it to be deployed in multiples as part of a larger complex to meet growing energy demands without the spatial and financial constraints of larger nuclear power plants.