What Are Good Math References for Understanding Cosmology?

In summary, there are several good references for topics such as Bessel functions, Legendre polynomials, and Fourier transforms. Arfken and Weber's Mathematical Physics covers these functions, while "Mathematical Methods of the Physical Sciences" by Mary Boas is recommended for a more in-depth understanding. For a concise treatment, "Classical Electromagnetism" by Franklin is also a good option.
AuraCrystal
I am planning on working through Dodelson's cosmology book, but I find my knowledge of things like Bessel functions, Legendre polynomials, and Fourier transforms lacking.

What're some good references for these things?

Physics news on Phys.org
While not the best , you could consider Arfken and Weber a catchall for Mathematical Physics with chapters on these functions. From there you could branch out into other references given by the authors.

Do you have any good references on Fourier transforms? Arfken/Weber doesn't talk about them all that much. :/

I believe the forum standard for this sort of recommendation is "mathematical methods of the physical sciences" by Mary Boas. I have a copy myself and it covers all the topics you'll need in fairly good depth, I would recommend it personally.

Electromagnetism books generally have good, concise treatments of Bessel functions, Legendre polynomials, and Fourier transforms. I recommend "Classical Electromagnetism" by Franklin.

Related to What Are Good Math References for Understanding Cosmology?

1. What topics are typically covered in a good book for math methods?

A good book for math methods will typically cover topics such as algebra, calculus, geometry, trigonometry, and statistics. It may also include topics such as linear algebra, differential equations, and discrete mathematics.

2. Is there a specific level or grade range that a good book for math methods is intended for?

A good book for math methods may be intended for a specific level or grade range, such as high school or college level. However, some books may cover a broad range of levels and can be used by students of different ages and abilities.

3. Are there any recommended authors or publishers for good books on math methods?

Some recommended authors for good books on math methods include George F. Simmons, Mary Jane Sterling, and Kenneth H. Rosen. Recommended publishers include Pearson, McGraw-Hill, and Wiley.

4. Can a good book for math methods be used for self-study or is it better for classroom instruction?

A good book for math methods can be used for both self-study and classroom instruction. However, it may be helpful to have a teacher or tutor available to answer any questions and provide additional guidance.

5. Are there any online resources or supplemental materials that can enhance a good book for math methods?

Yes, there are many online resources and supplemental materials that can enhance a good book for math methods. These may include practice problems, interactive activities, and video tutorials. Some books may also come with online access to additional resources.