What are Modular Lie Algebras and How Do They Apply to Function Spaces?

• A
  • Thread starter dx
  • Start date
dx
Homework Helper
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
function spaces more general than Lp
I feel that it is possible to construct function spaces more general than those of the type Lp using the theory of modular Lie algebras. Such spaces have been considered long ago by Musielak. essentially, one considers functions

φ(λ|f(x)|) dx

where φ is a convex function up, which can sometimes be relaxed to functions such as φ(u) = eu - 1.
I welcome comments from anyone who is informed about such issues.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the role of the Lie algebras?

What is the structure of these spaces?

What is the motivation?

Why in this forum, why not the analysis forum?

Any reference?

Likes fresh_42
I'd fear less the modular Lie algebras as I would fear the modular analysis!

I am aware that not everyone knows what a modular Lie algebra is, so I offer the following brief explanation. modular lie algebras also occur in string theory under the name Witt algebra. for instance there is the following
Lemma. Let f be an endomorphism of a finite-dimensional vector space V such that tr(fn) = 0 ∀ n ∈ ℕ. Then f is nilpotent.
one must consider the characteristic of the underlying base field F, where char (F) = p > 0

dx said:
I am aware that not everyone knows what a modular Lie algebra is, so I offer the following brief explanation. modular lie algebras also occur in string theory under the name Witt algebra. for instance there is the following
Lemma. Let f be an endomorphism of a finite-dimensional vector space V such that tr(fn) = 0 ∀ n ∈ ℕ. Then f is nilpotent.
one must consider the characteristic of the underlying base field F, where char (F) = p > 0
This is not a definition and as written is unralated to Lie algebras!

A modular Lie algebra is a Lie algebra over a field of positive characteristic.

dx said:
I am aware that not everyone knows what a modular Lie algebra is, so I offer the following brief explanation. modular lie algebras also occur in string theory under the name Witt algebra.
Witt algebra is something else.

What are Modular Lie Algebras?

Modular Lie algebras are a class of Lie algebras defined over fields with positive characteristic, typically denoted as characteristic p where p is a prime number. Unlike classical Lie algebras which are studied over fields of characteristic zero (like the real or complex numbers), modular Lie algebras exhibit different properties and structures due to the effects of the characteristic of the field. This leads to unique behaviors in their theory, such as different decomposition theorems and the presence of radical and semisimple elements.

How do Modular Lie Algebras differ from Classical Lie Algebras?

The key difference between modular and classical Lie algebras lies in the characteristic of the underlying field. Classical Lie algebras are defined over fields of characteristic zero and their theory is well-developed with deep connections to geometry, physics, and number theory. In contrast, modular Lie algebras are studied over fields of positive characteristic which affects many foundational results in the theory. For instance, the Engel's theorem and the Lie's theorem may not hold in the modular setting, and there are different methods for classifying simple Lie algebras.

What is the significance of Modular Lie Algebras in mathematics?

Modular Lie algebras play a crucial role in various areas of mathematics, including algebraic geometry, number theory, and representation theory. They are particularly important in the study of algebraic groups over fields of positive characteristic and have applications in the theory of finite groups. Understanding modular Lie algebras helps in exploring the structure and behavior of algebraic systems under the influence of characteristic p, leading to insights that are not visible through classical Lie algebras.

How do Modular Lie Algebras apply to Function Spaces?

Modular Lie algebras can be applied to function spaces through their action as derivations or symmetries of these spaces. In the context of function spaces over fields of positive characteristic, modular Lie algebras can provide a framework to study differential operators, automorphisms, and other transformation properties intrinsic to the space. This is particularly useful in the study of modular forms and other function spaces arising in number theory and algebraic geometry.

What are the challenges in studying Modular Lie Algebras?

One of the primary challenges in studying modular Lie algebras is the complexity arising from the characteristic p properties. Many of the intuitive properties and theorems from the classical Lie algebra theory do not directly apply or need significant modifications. Additionally, the classification and structure theory of modular Lie algebras is less developed and more complex, requiring new techniques and approaches. This makes the field both challenging and rich with potential for new discoveries and insights.