What are some good modern Quantum Optics textbooks?

In summary, this book is a good introduction to quantum optics that discusses second quantization of the electric field, waves more deeply compared to many other books.
LittleSchwinger
Gold Member
2023 Award
What would people here say are good modern Quantum Optics textbooks?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does "modern" mean here?

I guess in the last ten years or so. I know there have been many advancements in the field recently.

LittleSchwinger said:
I know there have been many advancements in the field recently.
What is your background in this field?

malawi_glenn said:
What is your background in this field?
I lecture QFT in curved spacetime, General Relativity and Quantum Information. It's just been years since I read specific details about quantum optics. This is partially to recommend to students as well.

Likes scottdave, Greg Bernhardt, dextercioby and 3 others
I'm myself not an expert in quantum optics. I'm a theorist working on theoretical heavy-ion collisions, using relativistic many-body QFT in and out of equilibrium, transport theory, Fokker-Planck/Langevin description. I'm, however, also pretty fascinated by AMO physics, particularly about the solid science part concerning "quantum foundations", i.e., I'm trying to stay away from philosophy and look at the many experiments showing that there's just QT in the minimal statistical interpretation :-)).

That said, I like two quantum-optics book as my standard references:

M. O. Scully and M. S. Zubairy, Quantum Optics, Cambridge
University Press (1997).

J. Garrison and R. Chiao, Quantum optics, Oxford University
Press, New York (2008),
https://doi.org/10.1093/acprof:oso/9780198508861.001.0001

To stay "modern" in this field, I guess one has to read research papers rather than textbooks :-).

Likes yucheng, dextercioby and LittleSchwinger
Thanks! They look lovely.

Likes vanhees71
I have these on my "virtual bookshelf":

Elements of Quantum Optics, Meystre & Sargent

Fundamentals of Quantum Optics and Quantum Information, Lambropoulos & Petrosyan

Quantum Optics, Walls & Milburn

Likes vanhees71 and LittleSchwinger
The only book I have on this topic is the introduction book by Fox (Oxford) which is pretty old, I think 2006?

vanhees71 said:
OMG this book is so eye opening 0o0, and practical!

P.S. it discusses second quantization of the electric field, waves more deeply compared to many other books, for instance, paraxial quantum optics!

P.S.S. I'm only writing this out of excitement, because I've found what I've been looking for (at a glance), but whether this book really satisfies anyone's purpose, that'll require more thorough reading.

Last edited:
Likes LittleSchwinger, malawi_glenn and vanhees71
vanhees71 said:
Yes, I'll have to add to @yucheng 's excitement since I picked this up on Saturday. A fantastic book thus far. I'll say more when I finish the book after doing all the exercises.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is Quantum Optics?

Quantum Optics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of light and its interactions with matter at the quantum level. It combines principles from quantum mechanics and optics to understand and manipulate the behavior of light and matter at the subatomic level.

2. Why is it important to study Quantum Optics?

Quantum Optics has a wide range of applications in fields such as telecommunications, information processing, and quantum computing. It also plays a crucial role in understanding fundamental concepts of quantum mechanics and has led to groundbreaking discoveries in the field of quantum physics.

3. What are some good modern Quantum Optics textbooks?

Some popular modern Quantum Optics textbooks include "Quantum Optics" by Mark Fox, "Introduction to Quantum Optics" by Harry Paul and "Quantum Optics for Beginners" by G. S. Agarwal. These books cover a wide range of topics and are suitable for both beginners and advanced readers.

4. How can I choose the right Quantum Optics textbook?

Choosing the right textbook depends on your level of understanding and the specific topics you are interested in. It is best to read reviews and compare the content of different textbooks before making a decision. You can also consult with your peers or professors for recommendations.

5. Are there any online resources for learning Quantum Optics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning Quantum Optics, such as online lectures, video tutorials, and interactive simulations. Some popular websites include MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and Coursera. Additionally, many textbooks also have online resources and supplementary materials that can aid in learning.